It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• Soft lump above belly - possible hernia?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
    Rocky1227
    (male)

Rocky1227 HB User
    Soft lump above belly button - Any idea what it is?

Hey everyone, I've had a soft lump / bulge above my belly button for admittedly over a year and a half now. I've had no issues with my health and the lump rarely hurts. The few times when there was some discomfort was after helping my brother move into his new house or after a long day at work where I was lifting a lot. When I lay down I can no longer see or feel it - I press down pretty hard on the area where the lump usually is but can't feel a thing. It's almost as if it disappeared, but when I'm standing it becomes noticeable. I can push the lump in when I'm standing and it will slowly bulge out again. Any ideas as to what this? A big thank you to everyone that responds, it is much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #2
    Rocky1227
    (male)

Rocky1227 HB User
    Soft lump above belly - possible hernia?

Hi everyone, I accidentally posted this topic on the wrong board earlier. Anyway, I've had a soft lump just above belly button since last summer. A few days before the lump / bulge appeared, I had some pain where it would eventually appear. Since that day I've had no pain at all with the exception of this past weekend where it was more tender than painful and only if I touched it. However, the tenderness went away by Monday morning. I work a maintenance job and do a fair amount of lifting during my day and had a longer day than usual this past Friday. Just started this job about 3 weeks ago.

I haven't had any health issues over the past year since it appeared. It's soft to the touch and goes away when I lay down to the point where I can't see or even feel it. However, once I stand up it slowly becomes noticeable. I can then push it back in and it will slowly bulge out again. Any ideas as to what this is? My first thought was a hernia but I would love to get some feedback, so a big thank you to everyone who answers!

Old 11-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #3
    Harri3t
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User
    Re: Soft lump above belly - possible hernia?

That sounds like an umbilical hernia. You should have that evaluated by your doctor. Surgical repair may be recommended or s/he may just want to keep an eye on it. As with any hernia, strangulation is a possible complication, so if you have any significant pain with the bulging, you should seek medical attention pronto.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:17 AM   #4
    Power on
    (male)

Power on HB User
    This is a classic case of hernia the thing is is it just fatty tissue poking out of part of you small intestine ? Or some other organ that is important just fat fix or not if pain is to bad but if organ possible to someday ur off blood supple to it but as its still mobile and goes in and out no worries but will never heals itself can only get bigger good luck need to see a dr at some point

Old 11-05-2015, 05:08 AM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Soft lump above belly button - Any idea what it is?

Sounds like a hernia of some sort. I'd see a doctor.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:07 AM   #6
    Krymie
    (female)

Krymie HB User

It sounds like an umbilical hernia. I had one for years that I finally had repaired last year.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
    freddy0303
    (male)

freddy0303 HB Userfreddy0303 HB User

With that type of hernia or any kind of stomach hernia can that cause extreme stomach bloating?

Reply Reply