It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• Hernia or Lipoma?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #1
    Tom1955
    (male)

Tom1955 HB User
    Hernia or Lipoma?

Hello,

I wonder if you could kindly help me.

Iíve had swelling and pain slightly above the groin area, i.e., an inch or so above the testicle.

Iíve had the swelling and pain for about 8 years, and every 2 years or so the swelling and pain increases.

Two urologists examined and touched the area, and they told me that theyíre sure itís not a hernia.

They claim itís lipoma.

I also believe itís lipoma because when I press on it, it feels soft like rubber or dough and moves about under the skin.

Since the swelling and pain has increased over the past year, I saw a surgeon. He had me do a CT Scan.

The CT scan showed that I have an inguinal hernia.

I believe thatís probably true.

However, I believe the inguinal hernia is a NEW problem that developed only recently.

Thatís cause in addition to the lipoma swelling and pain Iíve felt for about 8 years in the groin area, over the past 6 months, Iíve been feeling some discomfort in the area slightly ABOVE the groin area.

I had a few questions.

1. The CT Scan didnít show the lipoma. How accurate is a CT Scan?

Is it possible for the CT Scan to fail to detect the lipoma.

I had an ultrasound of the groin area done last year, and the ultrasound failed to show anything: It failed to show a hernia or a lipoma.

2. I want to have surgery but Iím afraid that the surgeon will go by the CT Scan and only look for and resolve the hernia problem, and fail to look for and remove the lipoma. The lipoma is located further down from where the hernia is.

Is there any way I can somehow get the surgeon to commit to looking for and removing the lipoma during the surgery?

Due to my heart problems and advanced age, Iím afraid of having surgery and, if I have a lipoma as well as a hernia, I want to avoid having surgery for the hernia and another surgery later on for the lipoma.

Your thoughts and advice would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you!

Tom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply