It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

Recurrent Inguinal hernia - failed mesh repair

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2018, 11:09 PM   #1
edela
(male)

edela HB User
Recurrent Inguinal hernia - failed mesh repair

Hi,
I am a 34 year old male who recently underwent surgery for an inguinal hernia. Today I found out the hernia is still there and I'm absolutely shattered about it. I am looking for some advice on what the likely next steps are and if anyone has had a similar experience. I will give you a break down of events so far...

Diagnosed in April 2018 with a decent sized inguinal hernia on the right side which had both bowel loops and tissue protruding the hole. The hernia was causing mild pain and discomfort, particularly towards the end of the day.

Went on public waiting list and had my operation on 30th October 2018. It was a laparoscopic hernia repair using mesh. Everything seemed to go okay with the operation and I was discharged the following morning.

I was up and walking the day of the surgery, albeit very slowly. I didn't require pain medication after the 2nd day, as the pain was minimal. For the first week I seemed to be recovering very quickly, each day I would notice some improvement.

Heading into the second and third weeks after surgery my recovery seemed to stagnate and I had the feeling that something wasn't quite right. I wasn't in pain but had discomfort in areas that weren't like that the previous week. Some of the symptoms seemed similar to what I was experiencing before the operation. There was also a lump where the mesh was placed that sort of didn't seem right. The actual hernia bulge that was there before the operation also seemed to still be there, although it did appear much smaller. I actually noticed this the day I was getting discharged but was told it was probably just swelling.

Throughout the second and third weeks after the op I tried to ignore the symptoms as I knew I had the follow up appointment coming up and I thought it was probably just part of a normal recovery.

Today I had my follow up appointment (23 days post op) and after being examined I was told that the hernia is still there. When I cough you can't see the hernia bulge out but you can kind of feel it deeper down. I have pretty constant discomfort and some pain when I move in certain ways. But overall I'm just shattered that I've had a pretty average year dealing with the hernia and being on the waiting list and now it looks like I'm set for several months of the same, if not worse.

I have an appointment with the surgeon who did the initial repair in 2 weeks time. The doctor I spoke to today said that generally you have to wait a few months before they can go back in and repair it again.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?
I'm also looking for some advice on what options there are for repairing it a second time and anything I should ask the surgeon in two weeks?

Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply