It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• hernia repair - regret this more than I can say

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-06-2019, 01:47 PM   #1
    inewpatienti
    (female)

inewpatienti HB User
    hernia repair - regret this more than I can say

So I got the surgery 1/11/19 after two years with a small umbilical hernia. Sutures, no mesh.

I realize something, nearly a month after, in agonizing pain on the side where the hernia was repaired - if you have a reducible hernia with no intestine, DON'T GET SURGERY. JUST DON'T GET IT.

I wasn't very healthy before - a mouthbreather - and as time as gone on, I'm lightheaded, have horrible hot pain in my lower back and right lung....I can't eat without pain, and the normal acid in my stomach from digestion is bad too. I smell disgusting because I can't regulate my body temp anymore.

I traded a little hernia that bothered me a little (much more when it formed) for a pile of sutures in my belly and belly button, a smaller, tighter, ugly semi-outtie belly button with a dent and discoloration under it.

I regret this beyond description. I traded a small hernia and managable back pain for big back pain, reduced breathing capacity, and a belly button full of sutures. I had no idea they through through your belly button to fix the hernia.

If you have a small reducible hernia and it's not an emergency - do not do this. The hernia was much less invasive than the sutures.

The worst part is, my hernia was not getting bigger - I have traded the small static risk of the hernia for the terrible trauma I did to my body and the risk of recurrence.

I regret this so very much.

Last edited by inewpatienti; 02-06-2019 at 01:51 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to inewpatienti:
    yayagirl (02-10-2019)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2019, 05:11 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: hernia repair - regret this more than I can say

It has only been 3 weeks since your surgery....your body is still healing. Give it some more time- normal abdominal surgery takes a minimum of 6 weeks to actually start to feel better. At this point, your internal stitches have not dissolved and you certainly have not healed.

I think you'll feel a whole lot better in another month.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
    inewpatienti
    (female)

inewpatienti HB User
    Re: hernia repair - regret this more than I can say; incredibly deceptively invasive

Jut for the record - they have to rotate your umbilical skin and screw with your umbilicus/belly button stalk and the surrounding muscle to fix this.

I did not know that and would have never agreed to this surgery and not a single patient source talks about it - and of course my surgeon didn't.

My belly is tight, nasty and inverted.

It's been a month - I was told I'd be on my feet in two months.

Open surgery, "1 inch incision, 1 stitch" is the common line - if you have a small hernia, know what you are getting into, esp. if you have breathing issues, back pain, etc.

I can't work like this.

I'm reviewing this because no one does and naturally when patients ask why they are in agonizing pain, they go unanswered.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-10-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: hernia repair - regret this more than I can say

Dear inewpatient

Get yourself back to the doctor ASAP. That much pain indicates something may be very wrong. It could be an infection.

A friend had that surgery done. Yes it can be painful for awhile. After all it was surgery.
    But don't just keep the distress to yourself.

Surgery can look very bad until complete healing so try to give yourself a break from worrying. But do call the doctor's office and report your pain level and all concerns. That is what doctors are here for. They will probably wnat to see you right away.

Let us know how you are doing.

Reply Reply