It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• Fatty Umbilical Hernia and losing weight

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-22-2019, 04:16 AM   #1
    macbeth2995
    (male)

macbeth2995 HB User
    Question Fatty Umbilical Hernia and losing weight

Was fit most of my life but when I was about 55 (2006) I stopped running and exercising. Gained 50 pounds over a 5 or 6 year period. One day I noticed a little (about 1/4 inch or bit less) bulge in my belly button. I knew at once that it was probably a hernia and I guessed do to my obesity. Maybe the weak spot was there all along and just needed the added pressure of all that fat. I avoided even looking at it. Stayed overweight at around same weight of 253 until in June 2016 I decided to lose weight. I had not even glanced at hernia for a decade! Using a fasting diet called the 5-2 diet I got down to around 220. I stalled at this point still needing to lose another 20. Stall due to drinking of beer. It is now May 2019 and a few weeks ago I finally looked at hernia. It had gotten bigger and looks larger, almost like an "outie" but still mostly in naval. I feel it must have stabalized at that size given a decade of not looking! It is reducible , when I lie down, it "goes away". No real pain. I was looking on internet for info and one person said that doctor told her if she lost weight, the fatty hernia would go away although the hole would still be there and if they gained weight back the hernia would come back. Sounds logical. If is a fat containing hernia that it would "go away" if the fat was lost. My question is, since I have seen many posts about bad results from surgery--If I lose weight and get rid of all or most of belly fat and it does "go away" , will I be ok as long as I don't gain weight again? I have been jogging over those years and using Cybex machines. No free weights.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-22-2019 at 06:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Fatty Umbilical Hernia and losing weigh

I am not sure I would trust what you read. It sounds logical, but from a biology standpoint, it does not make sense.

Go see a GI doctor. A gastroenterologist can discuss the issue, decide if in fact it is a "fatty" issue and if it is a hernia and talk to you about your options.

Reply Reply