It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• Doctor won't clear me for hernia repair ... says I need a liver ultrasound

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-26-2020, 07:35 PM   #1
    s1rrah
    (male)

s1rrah HB User
    Doctor won't clear me for hernia repair ... says I need a liver ultrasound

Hi ...

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but details are as follows...

I'm involved in a workers comp claim to have an inguinal hernia repair (typical mesh repair). A part of said process is to first be approved for surgery by the an occupational clinic before I can actually have the surgeon work on me.

Doctor keeps refusing to approve me saying my lab work is indicative of somebody needing a liver ultrasound and also need to get a hepatitis C/B screening. I've discussed my lab work with several EMT's ... and my PCP and nobody has told me there's anything really radical going on. So these ever more expensive "tests," seem to be endless.

If anybody could comment on these and if they would warrant such a stringent lab interrogation simply to have an abdominal hernia repaired, I'd appreciate it:

Here are the only test results from my standard blood count that are indicated as "High"

MCV : 104.7
    MCH : 35.5
    ABSOLUTE MONOCYTES: 1059
    GLUCOSE: 102
    POTASSIUM: 5.5
    AST: 45
    ALT: 64

Thanks...
    Joel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2020, 07:46 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Doctor won't clear me for hernia repair ... says I need a liver ultrasound

Since the company's workers comp insurance is paying for all this, just get the tests! Whenever you can get health information like that on yourself free - I say do it!

Old 05-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
    s1rrah
    (male)

s1rrah HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    Since the company's workers comp insurance is paying for all this, just get the tests! Whenever you can get health information like that on yourself free - I say do it!
    I get you ... I totally agree. But unfortunately my personal insurance is not that great and only covers preventative care, which liver ultra sounds are not included in. Also ... my workers comp insurance won't cover the liver ultrasound either. My main curiosity is if those lab results are so alarming as to warrant a ultrasound.

If I can find an affordable place to get the ultrasound done then I think I'm going to do it as the data would be really cool to look at.

Thanks for the reply,
    Joel Harris

Old 05-28-2020, 04:37 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm totally confused. If the injury is being handled under worker's comp and their doctor says you have to have this testing before he refers you for surgery, then they have to pay for it. What am I missing????

Reply Reply

« failed repair | - »