It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• Not sure which type of Dr. to see

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
    spowers225
    (male)

spowers225 HB User
    Not sure which type of Dr. to see

Symptoms:
    - Normally dull/general pain in upper left abdominal area. More painful when leaning forward or doing physical activity that demands more “core” muscle engagement. Pain has been more consistently pointed near the left of my belly button and sometimes has a slight burning sensation.
    - General area of pain is between 1 inch to 4 inches immediately to the left of the belly button.
    - At the same time as the onset of this general pain, I went from a very healthy once-per-day stool in the morning to have 1 or more very loose stools, sometimes diarreah.
    - No other concerning health indicators - no blood in stool, no weight loss. All screenings have come back negative for anything concerning organs, blood, etc.
    - I have had this pain and change in stool since Fall 2016, but has been more painful as of late.

What doctors have observed:
    - Ultrasound of side revealed nothing abnormal.
    - CT with contrast revealed nothing.
    - Full blood panel revealed nothing out of the ordinary.
    - Colonoscopy revealed nothing, other than a slight bit of redness. Gastroenterologist and colonoscopy dr. who performed the exam did not think anything was out of the ordinary.
    - Orthopedic dr. performed an xray and saw no issues with bones. Also tried physical therapy and no success.

My thoughts:
    - I suspect my abdominal pain and stool are related since they began at the same time.
    - I don’t believe this is strictly a gastro issue, as leaning forward or doing push-ups immediately results in significant sharp pain. Conversely, resting relieves the pain significantly.
    - My top thoughts: Could this be a hidden hernia, an ulcer, or IBS? I’ve also researched slipped rib since the pain sometimes radiates to my side and back as well. Everything I’m feeling seems to indicate a hernia that is hidden, but doctors did not seem to think that was likely.
    - Would it be worth an upper-endoscopy or even a swallowable camera? Pain seems to be too low for much benefit from an upper endoscopy (next to belly button).

My questions for you:
    - I struggled to get proactive help from my primary care. I also felt like every dr. I saw said “I’m not the right person for this”. I need an idea of how to approach getting help for this issue, when it isn’t clear whether the issue is gastro, muscular, or even something else entirely?
    - What type of Dr. should I try to find? (ie, which area of expertise?)
    - Any ideas in further steps to diagnose the issue?

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    gastro intestinal, hernia, pain abdomen upper left