It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• Terrified and confused about inguinal hernia surgery

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-15-2021, 03:56 AM   #1
    muso
    (male)

muso HB User
    Terrified and confused about inguinal hernia surgery

I am a 58 year old male, I am fit, not over weight (5' 7" 74 kg) and work out.

About 3 weeks a go I had a twisting/lifting injury and felt a sharp pain like I pulled a muscle in me left lower abdomen.

After it not recovering and limiting what I can do I had some scans, turns out to be an indirect non-reducible fat containing inguinal hernia.

I will need surgery to repair it. The surgeon I will be seeing performs repairs with advanced laparoscopic and robotic. I don't know whether or not he does non mesh repairs, haven't seen him yet. He operates from a day surgery that looks very nice.

There seems to be a lot of differing opinions regarding the use of mesh or not. Also whether to have open surgery or laparoscopic etc.
    Some say recovery times are long and painful, others say back at work in two weeks and lifting allowed in 6 weeks.

There seems to be a number of people with chronic ongoing problems caused by the mesh implants, but others don't even know it's there.

I get that these are questions to ask my Doctor and the Surgeon but my doctor is a bit aloof with some questions and I haven't seen the surgeon yet, he is away for a few weeks. My own Doctor isn't too concerned about it, but he pretty much writes scripts and sick certificates. As far as work capacity certificates go he just asks me how I feel about it.

I don't even know if walking is good or bad for it, standing better/worse than sitting etc. It's a completely new experience for me. It is quite painful, similar to lower back pain.

He has sent me back to work next week on limited hours and avoid bending/twisting etc. I am a gardener not an office worker. I have indicated to my employer (who is very supportive it is a work injury) that until the hernia is fixed I probably cannot perform full duties. I have been working there for over 30 years, large aged care facility.

I wear an abdominal brace as it helps with pain (my pain is in the lower left abdomen not the groin).

Being a non-reducible fat containing hernia is it dangerous for me to wear an abdominal binder? Remember the hernia contains fat not intestines. I will hopefully be getting it repaired surgically in about 6 weeks.

I am very concerned about post surgical pain and problems, especially chronic pain caused by the mesh. But without the mesh the chance of re-occurrence is higher. But it HAS to be fixed, it cannot be left like it is.

I am not the bravest soul when it comes to surgery and recovery etc.

My Physiotherapist had the bi-lateral mesh procedure for his inguinal hernias. He said to just trust the professionals. He says he was out playing golf in about 4 weeks. But then I read about lots of people left with ongoing problems post surgery..........confused and afraid!

If anyone out there has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2021, 04:01 AM   #2
    Jaitiu
    (male)

Jaitiu HB User
    Re: Terrified and confused about inguinal hernia surgery

Hi,
    I had my inguinal hernia surgery with mesh in June 2018 at the age of 62. My surgeon was old fashion and I was operated on with the open cut method. Post surgery, no problems. The first two days were the most difficult as for pain management. I decided not to use the more powerful pain medication i was given and only used ibuprofen to for the discomfort and pain. Three years later no problems and i am feel good. I just glad it was not with the robotic surgery technique.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaitiu For This Useful Post:
    Old 10-24-2021, 10:10 PM   #3
    muso
    (male)

muso HB User

Thanks so much for your reassurance. I would be a bit funny about the robotic procedure too. Laprascopic is ok though, but they still do open quite often as far as I know.

Tell me , did you find bending and working at ground level difficult before the hernia was repaired? I find those actions difficult. It feels very weak in the lower left abdomen when trying to lift even light things.

Is it ok now with bending since it's been repaired?

Old 10-25-2021, 04:40 AM   #4
    Jaitiu
    (male)

Jaitiu HB User

No problems with any type of bending or keeling once the hernia occurred. But, very uncomfortable in groin area, especially when sitting.

Post-surgery, no problems at all with any type of movement such as bending or lifting. However, I am very careful when I do lift heavy objects.

At the time I had a part-time job working for a contractor at Hartsfield airport and the job required a lot of lifting (we cleaned up air crafts for each turn-around flight). My surgery was in May of that year and I returned to work in July and by August I was back lifting heavy 25-40 lb bags of trash and blankets with no problem.

Old 10-27-2021, 08:56 PM   #5
    muso
    (male)

muso HB User

I was fine with bending kneeling etc. before the injury. But after the injury it felt very weak there and tired easily. So glad you are doing ok now, thank you for the reply

Reply Reply