It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• umbilical hernia surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2004, 06:01 AM   #1
    lilly7170

lilly7170 HB User
    umbilical hernia surgery

Went to pediatric surgeon and was told to have my 3 year old son's umbilical hernia fixed. Has anyone had this done. My nephew has one and he is 16 told it was ok. He said it would be a 45 min out-patient procedure. thanks

Last edited by lilly7170; 03-25-2004 at 06:03 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2004, 09:37 PM   #2
    GlassGoddess

GlassGoddess HB User
    Re: umbilical hernia surgery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilly7170
    Went to pediatric surgeon and was told to have my 3 year old son's umbilical hernia fixed. Has anyone had this done. My nephew has one and he is 16 told it was ok. He said it would be a 45 min out-patient procedure. thanks
    Hi! When I was 4, it was discovered that I had an umbilical hernia. My parents said that I would have belly pain, especially when leaning down or against something. That's how they discovered it. I do not remember the surgery, but everything went well according to my parents. I was not in the hospital long and there were no complications. I am now 17 and have no visible scars from the surgery. I am a happy, healthy girl. I wish you and your son the best of luck with the surgery and healing. Everything should turn out just fine! Don't worry!

Old 03-29-2004, 07:13 AM   #3
    PatriciaB
    (female)

PatriciaB HB User
    Re: umbilical hernia surgery

Hey Lilly, One of my kids had a hernia repair at age 3 and I know how scary it is to think of your child having to go through any kind of surgery! It was also done out-patient and believe me, it was harder on me than it was on her!
    It is so amazing how quickly kids bounce back from this! The hardest part of the whole thing was that afterwards we weren't supposed to let her run around like a maniac, not let her climb or jump, stuff like that, she had other ideas! Within 24 hours she was trying to do anything that she did before the surgery, I finally gave up trying to restrain her and just let her go. Once in a while the pain itself would slow her down, but only for a minute!
    One thing I would recommend before surgery is that when they give your child the pre-op meds, ask them to give him something so that he is not nauseous afterwards. I don't know why they don't give it to kids automatically, but both she and another one of my kids who had surgery didn't get it beforehand so they came out of surgery with nausea and vomiting. The nurses then said that I should have asked for the medicine before surgery! I hope everything goes well for both of you.

Closed Thread