HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Hernia (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/hernia/)
-   -   Hiatal hernia, heart symptoms related? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/hernia/161971-hiatal-hernia-heart-symptoms-related.html)

Solange1965 04-01-2004 10:15 AM

Hiatal hernia, heart symptoms related?

I was recently in the e.r. for kidney stones and after getting a catscan I was told I had a hiatal hernia which was news to me. Anyway, I have noticed in the last year that when I bend over sometimes or slouch in a chair, my heart seems to skip a beat or two. There is never any pain or shortness of breath. I have noticed that I feel full rather quickly in that area above the waist in the center before I finish my meal.

When I went to my doctor with the skipped beats more then once, he put me on a holter monitor but nothing showed up. My EKG was normal. It was only afterwards that I found out about the hiatal hernia.

Could the hernia be causing these symptoms?
Thank you....

StaciL320 04-01-2004 10:06 PM

Re: Hiatal hernia, heart symptoms related?

Hi! I am not sure about a hiatal hernia causing the symptoms you talked about, but I think so. I get those symptoms as well and suspect a hiatal hernia since I was told by my surgeon that removed my gall bladder that about half the people who have GB surgery also have a hiatal hernia. Do you have other GI symptoms like heartburn or IBS or anything along those lines?

Staci

Izmik 04-02-2004 03:28 AM

Hi I had an endoscopy the other day as I have h.pylori - I have been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia. Yes I get the fast heartbeat stuff as well. Also a feeling sometimes like my chest is going to cave in or my ribs are going to bust or something. I have the lump under my left breast and you can see it bulging through my skin. They said it was a small hiatus hernia. Well if the pain from a small hiatus hernia is this bad Id hate to have a big one.

What are they doing about yours ?? I dont think they are doing anything about mine. I did give up smoking though.

Isobelle

Solange1965 04-02-2004 06:43 AM

To Stacil and Izmik,
Thank you for the replies. I do have IBS and have had 4 surgeries related to a perforated diverticulitis. Those surgeries were 11 years ago and suspect I have a good deal of scar tissue. My diet since then is limited and have had no issues with the diverticulitis. The IBS is a sometime thing and since my menu is limited and I am careful, I think it is related to the stress that I have trouble controlling. When it gets bad, the IBS flares up and it is very painful. I take Levsin at that time to control the spasms. It's much better then Imodium but does make you sleepy.

I don't take any other meds for these things. No I don't have GERD but do burp alot and sometimes that will cause that heart bump thing. There is no burning or pain in the hiatal hernia area. I don't know what will be the next step. I follow all the guidelines to treat the hernia, especially many small meals throughout the day.

Maybe I will go to see the cardiologist again. It's so frustrating.....

maggiecttr 04-02-2004 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=Solange1965]I was recently in the e.r. for kidney stones and after getting a catscan I was told I had a hiatal hernia which was news to me. Anyway, I have noticed in the last year that when I bend over sometimes or slouch in a chair, my heart seems to skip a beat or two. There is never any pain or shortness of breath. I have noticed that I feel full rather quickly in that area above the waist in the center before I finish my meal.

When I went to my doctor with the skipped beats more then once, he put me on a holter monitor but nothing showed up. My EKG was normal. It was only afterwards that I found out about the hiatal hernia.

Could the hernia be causing these symptoms?
Thank you....[/QUOTE]
Hi--I thought what I now call "burbles" was a skipped heartbeat too...but it wasn't. I don't have HH, but reflux disease (which usually goes hand-in-hand with a HH) can make the esophagus twitch/vibrate/flutter due to irritation. I had an upper endoscopy that showed no erosion, so the gastro guy says I have NERD (non-erosive reflux disease) causing these weird feelings. I just started on Nexium, 40-mg. in the a.m. before breakfast, and the burbles seem about about 30% better. If you search this site for messages posted by Starling 72, his description of his flutters sounds like my burbles and your "missed beats." Take care!
Maggie C.

Solange1965 04-03-2004 06:33 AM

I am surprised to read about the 'burples'...does that mean you are burping alot or that is the name you gave the feeling? It does seem to be around the center chest or rather in that hollow area. Sometimes when I bend over I get a flip or fluttering sensation that I know is my heart because it makes the heartbeat go faster just a few seconds or pause a split second before resuming...sometimes it feels like something is tickling it. I will go and read your other posts because that area has alot of organs and stuff in there.
Thank you for the information....