It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• Herniated discs c5 and c6

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2004, 10:47 AM   #1
    pauli

pauli HB User
    Question Herniated discs c5 and c6

Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with two herniated discs 8 months ago when I was having pain in my arms and tingling / loss of strength in my hands. I have been on anti- inflammatories and do home traction every other day. Just recentlty I have been getting headaches and blurred vision at times. I also feel fatigued and my feet are always tired. My question to you all is has anyone had or heard of these symptoms resulting from a herniated disc(s) ? I have an appointment with my doctor in a few days. Thank you.

Paul

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2004, 01:02 PM   #2
    kentuckianaguy

kentuckianaguy HB User
    Re: Herniated discs c5 and c6

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pauli
    Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with two herniated discs 8 months ago when I was having pain in my arms and tingling / loss of strength in my hands. I have been on anti- inflammatories and do home traction every other day. Just recentlty I have been getting headaches and blurred vision at times. I also feel fatigued and my feet are always tired. My question to you all is has anyone had or heard of these symptoms resulting from a herniated disc(s) ? I have an appointment with my doctor in a few days. Thank you.

Paul

Old 07-30-2004, 01:04 PM   #3
    kentuckianaguy

kentuckianaguy HB User

Oh yes, Iv actually had many of your symptoms. Sounds like a herniation with compression on the spinal cord and one of your nerves. (Im no doctor lol). anyway let me know how it turns out.

Old 07-30-2004, 01:32 PM   #4
    boxer_dog_luv
    (female)

boxer_dog_luv HB User

Your symptoms sound reasonable to me as the neck nerves branch off and affect other organs. I also had pretty constant headaches which I blamed on stress, hormones or a family hx of migraines but post surgery no headaches so maybe that too was my C5-6 and C6-7 bulging discs. I am post ACDF x 2 levels w/o plate fixation with donor plugs 6/30. I had ear ringing and the whole combination just dragged me down two years until my NS felt it was bad enough to do surgery. I took dangerous amounts of Advil daily and am fortunate not to have stomach problems. No more need for any of that since ACDF; my pain immediately after surgery was 10% of all the complex that I had been dealing with for two years. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2004, 08:56 AM   #5
    terrbear

terrbear HB User

Pauli, I have severe spinal cord compression C4-C7, bone spurs, subluxation, DDD, etc. I have similar symtoms as you. I have been having short painful headaches and my vision has been blurry at times (not always) and I have had issues with ringing in my ears and my hearing. I called and asked the surgeon if they think it is related, they said no.

Sooo..I saw my Primary care physician this week and he does not think it is related to my neck and has ordered me to see an ENT and have an MRI of my head. I felt better after sitting down with him and asking a lot of questions. Now keep in mind we are all different and have similar, but not the same issues.
    Maybe these docs don't underestimate the compression thing. It made sense to me it was my neck, as the nerves are out of whack.

Call and get an appointment with your doc, ask him... You'll feel better.

Old 09-27-2004, 01:14 PM   #6
    dstorfer

dstorfer HB User

Out of curiosity - how significant is the loss of strength in the hands? I have many symptoms that would normally be in-line with herniation and my MRI shows a slight herniation at C4-5, C6-7, but the doctor says the loss of strength is not significant.
    I am a piano player and my hands used to be like vise grips, they are not anymore - so maybe what seems like normal strength to some is not normal for me.

Old 09-28-2004, 05:30 AM   #7
    lynns

lynns HB User

posterfer,
    i too have a large sherniated discs at c5, c6.c7 level that is moderatly compressing on my spinal cord. im trying to learn as well what are the options. i also have weakness in my hand, left arm, numbness and tingling in fingers mostly the thumbs, middle and pinkie fingers. feet numbness and always they feel like ice. as for the blurry vision and headaches i also feel they are related. you need to see a neuro or ortho soon. i was wondering do you get sharp pains in between your shoulder blades and neck stiffness? also do you feel like your spine is dislocating every time you reach bend or anything that is other than staying still?

Old 09-28-2004, 09:29 AM   #8
    dstorfer

dstorfer HB User

I have already seen a zillion docs including neurosurgeons. They all say the discs are only a tiny bit herniated and "shouldn't" be causing all those symptoms. Then what the hell is, I say?
    I have sharp pain between the shoulder blades and also tons of pain in the neck - my whole neck is one big muscle spasm. I actually get botox to quell some of the spasms. I just wish the docs would acknowledge what seems to be unequivocably true - that these symptoms are completely in-line with disc problems at C5-6, C6-7 as I have found in all of these posts.

Old 09-28-2004, 02:16 PM   #9
    lynns

lynns HB User

do you have all the paper work to state all your problems? if so go to a hospital and dont leave with just pain meds. incyst on more than drugs to knock you out. tell them that drugs are not your answer and complete assisitance is what you deserve.
    im at the same ledge your on and sometime when push comes to shove you are the one that needs to push and shove to get what you need and what you wont. hope this helps
    michelle

Old 09-29-2004, 02:49 PM   #10
    emarasi

emarasi HB User
    Red face Re: Herniated discs c5 and c6

hi paul my name is eileen and i was having and still am the symtems that you have been having get rid of the physical therapy and go and see a good nurologist. tell him that traction and pysical therapy is not working. My doctor just sent me for an mri today because i wasted three weeks doing what you said you was doing. It sounds to me like you have a herniated disk and you need to get attention for this problem. hope i helped and good luck!

Old 09-29-2004, 02:49 PM   #11
    emarasi

emarasi HB User
    Red face Re: Herniated discs c5 and c6

hi paul my name is eileen and i was having and still am the symtems that you have been having get rid of the physical therapy and go and see a good nurologist. tell him that traction and pysical therapy is not working. My doctor just sent me for an mri today because i wasted three weeks doing what you said you was doing. It sounds to me like you have a herniated disk and you need to get attention for this problem. hope i helped and good luck!

Closed Thread