It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• Its Only A Small Hiatus Hernia..huh?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2004, 07:36 PM   #1
    Moonbeamdarlene

Moonbeamdarlene HB User
    Its Only A Small Hiatus Hernia..huh?

Hey ya'll, recently I had a Endoscope done, the only thing found was " Oh you just have a small Hiatus Hernia " ummmm excuse me... Ok, so, just how does a " Small Hiatus Hernia" effect you?. Any of you with " Small " Hiatus Hernias, please tell me how it effects you. I really felt like my Dr was patronizing and condesending.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
    mtiffany
    (female)

mtiffany HB User
    Re: Its Only A Small Hiatus Hernia..huh?

Hello,
    I just had an endoscopy today and was told I have a small hiatal hernia. I have been in severe pain with substernal chest pain, pressure and burping all the time. The Dr. didn't say too much just stay on protonix and to see himi 4 weeks. What are some of you symptoms? tiffany

Old 08-18-2005, 11:45 PM   #3
    KSaan
    (female)

KSaan HB User

Hi,

I don't know what size my hernia is because my doctor failed to even tell me about it after all of my tests - he told me three months after at a quarterly check up.

I was left wondering what was wrong with me because even though I knew I had GERD, I just could not understand why it was hurting as much as it was - in between my check ups I had some really bad chest pain and thought I was having a heart attack - I now know this pain was all related to my hernia now.

And you know what when I went the emergency room at the hospital because they tested my blood and it was found not to be a heart attack they sent me home and did not do any further tests - they just said my GP could follow up because I was not going to die at that time.

Well I was due to have my quarterly check up just after I was admitted to hospital and my doctor read the notes and said, oh, that was probably your hernia that caused the pain you experienced. I was a bit shocked when he said this because he had failed after my tests to even tell me I had one.

In between my doctors visits I actually got to the stage where I could't even drink water because it burnt me and I had no idea I had a hernia causing the pain.

So, this has left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth with my doctor now - I asked the doctor was there anything else he had failed to tell me about so the next time I am rushed to the emergency department I can at least fill them in on my medical history properly.

Now that I know I have a hernia at least I can be more careful with what I eat and I now have medication to help treat it now. The one thing my doctor did tell me was that my stomach was pushing through my sphincster, so what I know about this is that it causes, burning and vomiting and when it is really bad, chest pains, pains down my arms and up into my jaw.

Anyway, if I find out what actual size mine is I will let you know, but I typically just monitor the different food types and work out each one individually that affects me.

I am pretty much on a vegetable and fruit diet now because these are the main things that do not affect me.

Good luck!

cheers
    Karen

Old 08-24-2005, 04:33 PM   #4
    Earlene
    (female)

Earlene HB User

Karen, what meds do you take for the hernia pain? Do you have any other hernia symptoms?
    E

Old 08-25-2005, 01:32 AM   #5
    KSaan
    (female)

KSaan HB User

Hi Earlene,

The meds I take for the hernia is nexium. Other than having an op, there really isn't much else they say they can do.

cheres
    Karen

Old 08-30-2005, 02:26 AM   #6
    Izmik
    (female)

Izmik HB User

Oh geez I can relate to the , its only a small hiatus hernia as well. I have had mine for 2 two years now. Every day at some time I'm in pain. I also had helicobacter pylori and did two treatments for that. Now diagnosed with GORD ( gastro osopheagus reflux disease ) and yeah its from the small hiatus hernia.
    There is a little flap in your stomach that closes after eating, that doesnt happen with people with hiatus hernia ( ours stays open ). So therefore the acid reflux's back up into the oesophagus and causes burning... I have really bad pain in my chest ( like heart attack ). And pain in my right upper quadrant.

Next week I am having a biliary ultrasound and then endoscope ( again ). If they find nothing I am back to square one. I too cant believe that a small hiatus hernia can cause so much bother. The surgeon said it shouldnt be causing trouble at all....except for the reflux.

Sometimes the pain is so bad I cant eat for up to 3 days and just feel nauseated all the time. Also I seem to have gathered like a layer of fat that goes across from the left quadrant to the right quadrant. Anyone else have that. If I lie down it just moves to my rib cage area.

bye for now

Old 08-30-2005, 10:47 PM   #7
    WannaBeFreeToRoam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi Izmik,

I have the hiatal hernia too. And the same pain places. My gastro dr. gave me Nexium and Sucrafate to help my GERD. I take the nexium first thing in the am and have to wait 1 hr b4 eating or drinking anything but water. The sucrafate, can be taken in the evening, 2 hrs. after you eat or drink and then go to bed. They work pretty good. Just not when I eat too much chocolate or drink to much coffee.

Hope you find some relief. My doc said the only way to fix this is surgery and the fix, sometimes makes it worse!

Take care. Wannabe

Old 08-31-2005, 03:53 AM   #8
    KSaan
    (female)

KSaan HB User

Hi Izmik,

I can definitely relate to the nausea with the hiatus hernia and I was admitted to hospital 3 times because I thought I was having a heart attack the pain was so bad.

It still took the docs 2.5 years to figure it out though but at least I can understand why I get sick before it was just a real frustration not knowing.

cheers
    Karen

Old 08-31-2005, 06:47 AM   #9
    Taimse
    Veteran
    (female)

Taimse HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moonbeamdarlene
    Hey ya'll, recently I had a Endoscope done, the only thing found was " Oh you just have a small Hiatus Hernia " ummmm excuse me... Ok, so, just how does a " Small Hiatus Hernia" effect you?. Any of you with " Small " Hiatus Hernias, please tell me how it effects you. I really felt like my Dr was patronizing and condesending.

I found out I had a small hiatus hernia last April when I had an endoscopy done as part of work up for cause of iron deficiency anemia. I also found out I had erythematous gastropathy...really irritated looking stomach. The only symptom I had was a burning pain sometimes, like hunger pain. I thought I had an ulcer, but didn't want to go to the doctor because I didn't want an endoscopy. Esophagus looked normal. I didn't have reflux and ate and even drank coffee before bedtime. I sleep on my left side because of carpal tunnel....or at least did for over 12 years, but had ct release last spring. I still sleep on my left side from habit. I recently read in Women's Health magazine that sleeping on left side may decrease symptoms of GERD at night. Something about esophagus being higher than stomach sphincter that way.
    But since the endoscopy, I have experienced some problems. And then I had some sort of bug that was going around about two weeks ago. Dr. said they had to hospitalize some elderly people for it. Now I really experience fullness after eating, so I don't eat much at one time, am on Prilosec( I was on Protonix, but even generic is expensive . We don't have prescription coverage .) And I can't eat before bed anymore.

Old 09-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #10
    Izmik
    (female)

Izmik HB User

Hi Everyone - I had my endoscopy yesterday....The findings are
    Ascending columnar epithelium in oesophagus. Schatzki's ring seen. Small hiatus hernia. Traces of old blood seen in stomach. Stomach and duedenum normal.

I have an appointment to see the surgeon next friday so can you all keep your fingers crossed for me. Bit distressed at this time.

Izmik

Closed Thread