It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• umbilical hernia??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2005, 11:13 AM   #1
    chuckles915
    (female)

chuckles915 HB User
    umbilical hernia??

Hello, my DS is 2 months old, and his belly button is huge! When I went to the doctor for his 2 month appt, the doc said that it is just an umbilical hernia and it is very common, he said it should go away by the time he is 4 years old. I guess what I want to know is how does this happen? It doesn't seem to bother the little guy, but it looks like a little balloon, and if you push down on it you can feel the air go out of it, but then it inflates back up when you lift your finger. Has anyone's DS or DD ever had this before? How long did it take for it to go away? I guess it just semms weird, my first DS never had this happen. Any words would be great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2005, 09:17 PM   #2
    Nutshell
    Veteran
    (female)

Nutshell HB User
    Re: umbilical hernia??

Chuckles ~ My DD has the same thing. Her little belly button was perfect when her cord finally came off. It was so cute. She was a preemie and was in the hospital for quite some time and after a couple of weeks of having the perfect belly button I went to the hospital and there it was. Her perfect little belly button was gone and there was this huge bubble like thing there. Her ped. said the same as yours. It will eventually go away. She is now almost 5 months old and has gotten up to 7 & 1/2lbs. Her belly has started getting round and the chunkier she gets the more her button seems to sink in. However, if she starts crying very hard it pops out big as ever. I personally think this happen from all the crying she did while in the hospital. They poked on her all the time with needles. I don't know how they develop but I sure know I will be glad when it goes away.
    DS born 3/14/03
    EDD 3/19/05

Closed Thread