It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• Hiatus Hernia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2005, 07:17 AM   #1
    Dianam
    (female)

Dianam HB User
    Unhappy Hiatus Hernia

Hi there everyone ..Im from England UK..Im new to this site..I was diagnosed as having an Hiatus Hernia about a year ago for which I am taking 20mg Omperazole daily..when I found this site and read your experiences with this condition I actually cried..Im so sorry you are all suffering the way I am but I guess the safety in numbers theory kicked in because for months I have been thinking I have been mis-diagnosed ...all the things you experience I experience too..shortness of breath ( I have always suffered with sinusitis so my nose is regularly blocked..on the days my hernia is acting up and my nose is blocked I feel like Im suffocating)..tight and sore throat..burning in my back, chest and mouth..dry coated tongue..feeling nauseous..diahorrea..I also have spondilitis which gives me constant pain in my neck and shoulder blade sometimes experiencing pins and needles or numbness down my arms and hands, which Im sure is made worse on a bad hernia day..I have a very patient understanding doctor who listens to all my symptoms and has sent me for many blood tests which all come back negative indicating all the nasty symptoms I endure are related to my hiatus hernia..Im trying to carry on working full time ..trying not to get stressed..but some days are intolerable.. Im 43 now and have been quite lucky healthwise all my life aside from sinusitis.
    ..but then when I hit 40 that all changed ..my lifes beginning alright..to suck!..Does anyone know of a good diet book for hiatus hernia sufferers..I just want a simple do eat or dont eat book .
    thanks for listening
    Diana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 08:11 AM   #2
    Earlene
    (female)

Earlene HB User
    Re: Hiatus Hernia

Diana, I was posting on another thread about my nausea. I also was told that I had a small hiatal hernia and that they usually don't bother anyone. But I have many of your symptoms also. I have always had sinus drainage and clogged sinuses. Have had all the necessary tests and all come back negative. I also am trying to work full time and it is very, very, very difficult going to work feeling sick everyday. I also was in good health before this.
    At first I was limiting everything but very bland food but was still feeling sick and nauseous. My tongue is also coated and was told that I had geographic tongue. Do you feel a pressure or pain in your chest? Is the omperazole helping you/how long have you been on it? I tried it a while back but didn't stay on it very long but am thinking of going back on it. What is spondilitis?
    Thanks.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
    Dianam
    (female)

Dianam HB User

Hi Earlene..I have also been told many people have hiatus hernia which never gives them any trouble I find this very hard to believe for all the suffering it continues to give me and obviously many other people on here..I was once offered sinus drainage for my sinusitis but was told its very unpleasant to endure and only gives temporary relief so i declined it ..I do feel pressure and pain in all my upper body ..back and chest..sometimes i think Im having a heart attack and in the beginning was rushed into A & E ..but it was put down to a bad hernia attack..Ive been taking 20mg omeprazole daily since being diagnosed a year ago..in the beginning it helped, then after about 6 months I had another bad attack and my GP upped my dose to 40mg daily ..I am now back down to 20mg a day as my GP advised me that 40mg a day was not advisable to take longterm..although I have to say Im still suffering as you see.. truthfully I now darent stop taking the tablets as im worried about the damage the acid is doing to my insides!..I already think it has affected my vocal cords as my voice is embaressingly croaky at times..my sponilitis is general wear and tear on my spine similar to rheumatism and arthritis .
    take care
    Diana

Old 08-11-2005, 08:32 AM   #4
    Linda_in_NJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User
    Smile Re: Hiatus Hernia

Hi Diana M, The girls are right about a hiatal hernia not hurting. Peolple with these hernias usually do not feel any pain from them. They do feel uncomfortable through. Sometimes a doctor can feel a hiatal hernia during an examination. The pain you are having certainly sounds like GERD. I've suffered from GERD for over 20 years now. I've been on PPI's for about 12 years. After a while the GERD was so bad, it would wake me up in the middle of the night while a feeling like I was going to vomit. After that happened several times, I went to see a GI doctor and had an endoscopy done. I was told I had GERD and to stay on the medication, which I've been on ever since.
    GERD pain can affect the following, left arm pain, chest pain, back pain, jaw pain, shoulder pain, constant burning in chest, often mimicks a heart attack. It also effects your sinuses. I also have IBS and I believe the two are connected some how. Don't let your GERD untreated. It can lead to what's called Barretts Esophagus, which is pre-cancerous. That is the stage I am at now. Although most Barretts patients do not get EC, it still sticks in the back of my mind.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:22 PM   #5
    Dianam
    (female)

Dianam HB User

Hi Linda thanks for your reply..I found it really interesting..Im at the doctors next week and am going to mention this to him ..can I ask you what medication you are on for it ..I really feel for you to have suffered with this for 20 years ..its a nasty condition .
    take care of you
    Diana

Old 08-16-2005, 12:16 PM   #6
    Linda_in_NJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Hi, right now I'm on 40 mgs. of Protonix 2 x a day. I cab take an extra 1 if I need to in the afternoon. Take Care

Old 08-17-2005, 07:46 PM   #7
    bsmay
    (male)

bsmay HB User

My doctor told me today that he thinks i have a hiatal hernia. While I don't experience the chest pain that ya'll seem to have, I do get nausea sometimes and I also get this gas pocket between my stomach and my throat that acts like i need to burp but then it goes back down and it cycles over and over. I also get the pain in my shoulders and my arms and have a little sinus trouble. I don't get too stuffy but my sinuses burn and sometimes i have difficulty breathing like I am breathing hot air. I can feel for ya'll because of what ya'll are going through and I am in relief I am not the only one with this problem. I thought for a while that I had something unique because i could never find the answers. I am starting 30 mg of Prevacid (Lansoprazole) tomorrow and I really hope this helps. Is anyone taking Nexium because if you are I would surely like to know if that works as well. Hope everyone starts feeling better soon!

Old 08-21-2005, 04:19 PM   #8
    KellyDL
    (female)

KellyDL HB User

I saw your post and it sounds a lot like me. I have been feeling chest pressure and shortness of breath for about 2 months now. All tests have showed not heart related. I have had just about every test there is, except the heart cath. They did find a hiatal hernia, I 'm not sure how large yet, with some type of ring. I haven't been back to the doctor yet to find out all the details. I have been light headed, but do have allergies that have been putting pressure on my ears lately. I have that same lump in the throat. My upper-gi showed no signs of GERD though. I have constant burping, but not much heartburn.I have been soooo worried! I can't find anyone who thinks that I haven't just lost it! I also feel the tingling in my arms and sometimes burning in the sternum area (although it doesn't feel like the actual heartburn I felt during pregnancy). I find it hard to get someone to understand what I'm going through. I also read that many times hernias like this are asymptomatic, but many times their not.

Closed Thread