It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• working with herniated disc and pinched nerve

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2006, 07:42 AM   #1
    ladybugg1957
    (female)

ladybugg1957 HB User
    working with herniated disc and pinched nerve

I fell and injured my self at work march 9th, I have been unable to to do hardly anything since except fight the pain. The first comp doc released me to go back to work on full duty, well I did that, only to get worse. She said I had a bruised hip,and I was already working it wasnt gonna hurt me to continue to work. Well I tried for a couple of weeks to work,that didnt work at all, so they sent me to another comp doc, he had a MRI done , and I have a herniated disc at the L4 an L5, and a pinched nerve.He ordered physical therapy which Ive done with no results. So now he is referring me to a neuro surgeon, but he wont take me off work, he has me on strict limitations, but I am about to lose my job over this injury, I drive 24 miles one way to work, I hurt so bad I cant even concentrate on driving. I have been on percocet for a couple of months now, and then he put me on amytripiline to sleep at nite, yeah right, that doesnt work! Now he put me on oxycotin, well that seems to help some as long as I take the other pills also. But he says he has to keep me going, and he wont take me off work,I told him im going to lose my job if he doesnt take me off, I hurt so bad some days I cant even walk, my restrictions are not to lift over 5lbs, no bending twisiting, and to avoid driving, well how am i suppose to get to work if I dont drive. I cant even think when I start hurting, it feels like the calf of my leg is going to blow up it hurts so bad. I know its because of the pinched nerve, but apparently he is all for the company, and he just doesnt care. I dont think he understands our horrific this pain can be. I got an appt for the neuro doc next week, maybe he will be more caring and understand. (but im not getting my hopes up).
    any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2006, 08:56 AM   #2
    lumbarjackswife
    (female)

lumbarjackswife HB User
    Re: working with herniated disc and pinched nerve

Ladybug,
    Sorry for your pain . My husband is kinda goin through the same pain.
    Did you hurt yourself at work ? If so go to your Gov. website for your state and check your w/c laws.

I know how crooked some doctors can be. I know this guy who had a 1 level fusion and still in pain . The doctor told him to suck it up and go back to work !
    I hope the best for you.
    Sherri

Old 06-02-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
    ladybugg1957
    (female)

ladybugg1957 HB User

well i have been looking at the compensation laws,I dont think some doctors understand how bad you can hurt,it sure has changed my life .

Old 06-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #4
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

Check into the laws for your state, regarding workman's comp. They cannot keep you from seeing another doctor and for sure, you need one! However, they don't have to pay for it unless they give permission. As for firing you, I don't know if that is allowed since you were injured at work, so check on that as well. Perhaps you could find out through the local unemployment office if you can't find out on line.

I have always said that wc is a joke...a big joke on US. Rather than protecting the worker, it protects the company. What's new, right?

Good luck, hon, and please keep us updated.

Carol
    morphine pump

Old 06-02-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Wink Re: working with herniated disc and pinched nerve

I have been on W/C for the past 2 1/2 yrs. The 1st yr. I did not get or need a lawyer. The company was actually accepting responsibility on their own. But when I realized that this back problem could be a lengthy condition and that I might need expensive surgery at some point...I got a lwayer. (They only get paid a certain state determined amount and only at the end when you go to a hearing to determine a settlment).

The reason I am glad I finally got one, was because there were many things they should have been doing for me, that I never would have known to ask. I found out that in my state, my job had to hold my position for 3 yrs. before they could fire me. Because my job was a union job, one of the consecions on the employee's part was that for W/C cases we could not see our own Dr. (We had to go to someone on their panel) but I had the right to pick the one I wanted and I could pick a second one if I wanted another opinion.

Please look into getting a lawyer and as others have said...do a search with the words: worker's comp and your state name. You should be directed to your states W/C website.

If you have any more specific questions...please don't hesitate to ask.

Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User

Ladybug,
    Hi and so sorry to hear of your problems and it sounds like me 7 long yrs ago.
    I held a job where I was on my feet all day with no breaks and heavy lifting and they wouldn't take me off work.
    I had the same problem as you along with several more.
    Get a lawyer NOW and get the help you need, I am permenatly disabled and have permenatt S1 nerve damage due to it being compressed for so long.
    The longer it goes on the less chance you have of healing..
    By the way was just in your state, I was born there and we had a family reunion, first time I have been back there in almost 40 yrs, loved it..
    Good Luck,
    Linda

Closed Thread