It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• Hiatal Hernia Questions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-17-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
    Nikolai
    (female)

Nikolai HB User
    Hiatal Hernia Questions?

Hey, just a few questions about Hiatal Hernia. Here's my story, recently I went to the ER complaining of difficulty breathing (I've been asthmatic my whole life), complained of a "blocked feeling" near my breast bone, tightness in chest and a strange symptom was a "weird taste" in my mouth. After 11 hours in the ER the chalked it all up to my asthma (and slight anxiety) and inflammation in the lungs and sent me on my way with a new puffer. I couldnt eat for about week b/c that blocked feeling made it uncomfortable to eat. So that blocked feeling began to go away. I went to my GP to let him know what had been going on and told him that the blocked feeling started to go away. He said my lungs were clear and didnt think that the problem was my asthma and told me to come back if the feeling came back, which it did after I resumed eating full meals again. I went back to my GP and told him that all the symptoms mentioned above came back and I thought I was taking a heart attack. He sent me for a thorough blood test which came back clear. On paper I am perfectly healthy. He listened to my lungs again and said that they were still clear no wheezing or anything. So he prescribed me prescription strength Xantax (sp) and is scheduling for an Upper GI. What I am asking is does this sound familiar to anyone suffering with a hiatal hernia (I thought most times ppl didnt have symptoms with hiatal hernia), do you only feel symptoms when it is "flared" up? I went into his office and there is a poster of diseases of the digestive and the first thing I seen was cancer so I was a little freaked out. My GP tried to comfort me by telling me that there would have been irregularities in my blood work if that was the case and he ruled out that my esophagcas is blocked because I can put food in, it just feels uncomfortable when I do. Sorry so long. I am worried about the GI and am only 24 and have been dealing with a sinus infection as well. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, happy holidays!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #2
    Skylar_
    (female)

Skylar_ HB User
    Re: Hiatal Hernia Questions?

Nikolai,

To me what you're describing sounds like it could be acid reflux-have you ever been evaluated for that? Had an endoscopy? Taken PPIs?

Old 12-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
    Nikolai
    (female)

Nikolai HB User

Hey, nope I've never had an endoscopy, i am having an upper gi in january. What are ppi's? I am taking prescripton strength Xantax now. Acid reflux can give you the feeling of tightness in your chest etc? This is all new to me
    Thanks

Old 12-18-2006, 11:26 AM   #4
    huffnpuff
    (female)

huffnpuff HB User

Are you taking Zantac or Xanax? There is a big difference.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
    KristaLynn
    (female)

KristaLynn HB User

Hey I have the same things as you described, i have asthma as well and there was a blame game on all this crap for so long until my most recent symptom was like if you ever have had brain freeze from like drinking a slurpee,etc. well it was in my chest but it was that feeling except really hot so they said it looks like i have a haital hernia(sp) and i have to go for an endoscopy well before i did that i went to my doctor and he said because i also have ulcers thats where the burning came from because the acid was hurting the hernia. So ya thats the only symptoms i had was the burning thing.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #6
    Glo-worm
    (female)

Glo-worm HB User

Just before my surgery 11 days ago, I literally felt something opening and closing like a toilet stopper and my surgeon told me it was my hiatal hernia opening and closing!!

Hang in there

Closed Thread