It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• Hiatal Hernia Symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2007, 04:32 AM   #1
    Looly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
    Hiatal Hernia Symptoms

Though I've reseached this topic on line, I'm curiuos to know from those who've experienced it.....what are your symptoms? Do you have a problem with belching? Do you have a problem with Acid, more prominent during your sleep hours? Do you have on occassion slight nausea when your stomach is less full, i.e. the middle of the night? Information from those who suffer is far better than text on line as that type of info is vague. Personal info tells the story so much better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2007, 04:58 AM   #2
    andilyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

andilyn HB User
    Re: Hiatal Hernia Symptoms

I had a hiatal hernia repaired in January 2007. My first symptom was bad chest pain on the left side. I had a lot of nausea and acid reflux, and heartburn though too. But my biggest thing was the chest pain.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:26 AM   #3
    Laura51
    (female)

Laura51 HB User

I have a hiatal hernia and have had it for years. I have alot of burning if my stomach isn't kept a little full. I have alot of chest pain and I had it checked a few times because I thought it was my heart. I am constantly nauseated and I can't eat very much at a time. I have to eat 6 small meals a day. Sometimes I can't do this because of my work schedule. I had an EGD last Friday and now my Acid Reflux is severe. I need to call the Dr. after I get home from work.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Does GERD medication help with Hernia's? I wonder if that is what I have. I was having sharp shooting left sided chest pains that would hit every day. I do not get acid reflux, or heart burn but my doc put me on GERD meds anyway. The meds help, but sometime I feel the pain some. Any feedback?

Old 04-24-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

Andilyn- did you have any episodes of stomach/chest fullness where you just absolutely needed to burp to relieve the pressure? Also, I get short of breath when I feel bloated-did you have that with your hernia? I ask because I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia 7 years ago, but I don't have any reflux or GERD symptoms. Mine are all bloating, stomach pressure, occ. short of breath because of feeling the stomach pushing into lungs. I don't feel my doctors are being aggressive enough diagnostically for the level of symptoms I have.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #6
    Roscoe36
    (male)

Roscoe36 HB User

Sue,

If you read my recent posts in the heart forum, you will see that I posted the EXACT same questions as you. I have had chest discomfort/fullness for a year or so now and have had all of the heart tests (echo, ekg, etc.). The only thing that they showed was that I have a hiatal hernia.

Like you, I have a lot of bloating, stomach pressure, chest pain on the lower left side (near bottom of ribs) and occassional, mild shortness of breath.

Do others with a hiatal hernia experience these symptoms?

Thanks in advance,

Ross

Old 04-24-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

Yea, I had all the heart tests too, and everything's fine. It is more than just an annoyance-I wish the doctors would understand how serious it is. I sometimes will have to get out of bed and walk around for a few minutes just to get one burp up to relieve chest pressure! Not to mention, I start walking the house during the day just to get a few burps up. Otherwise, it does not move to go out the bottom end! I hate this and am tired of having it. I wish you could live WELL without a stomach, because I would ask to have it removed!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #8
    andilyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

andilyn HB User

Hi Sue and Ross...

Yes I did have the pressure and fullness and needing to burp, and pain on the left side. Those same exact symtpoms bothered me day in and day out. On top of it I had acid reflux, GERD. It was a mess! But I have felt so well since my surgery. My dr told me that once it starts interfering with your life, then you should get it taken care of since it can turn into a strangulated hernia, or it can start to bleed. I hope you guys can get some help because I know how painful and annoying these can be, and I also know now how wonderful you really can feel after getting it taken care of. Any other questions, just ask...I would be happy to answer.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:02 AM   #9
    Roscoe36
    (male)

Roscoe36 HB User

Andilyn, that is so wonderful to hear that you got some relief with a surgery! Good for you. So there is hope, eh?

Since you opened the door, I do have a couple other questions:

(1) Did you have any other weird symptoms besides pressure, fullness, need to burp and left side pain? I also sometimes have a strong awareness of my heart beat, which I think are the same thing as palpitations. My theory is that the hernia is pressing on my heart, giving me that sensation. Did you ever have that?

(2) How big was your hernia? Was it large, necesitating surgery? Mine is described in a CT scan as "small hiatal hernia." Could a small hiatal hernia cause this all and would surgery make a difference in my case, in your estimation?

(3) How old were you when you first had the symptoms, when you had the surgery, and now?

Thanks again, Ross

Old 04-25-2007, 08:33 AM   #10
    andilyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

andilyn HB User

Hi Ross...

To answer your questions, I don't remember any other weird symptoms happening with the hernia. Just the pain and pressure.

My dr told me that my hernia was medium size. But he did say that some people can have large ones, and have no symptoms, and some people can have small ones and have ton's of problems. He said that is why they like to preform the surgery based on the symptoms or problems it's causing, not the size alone. So in my own experience, and what my dr told me, I think you would benefit greatly from getting it repaired. You seem to be having problems with it, and usually once the problems start, they don't tend to completely go away.

And when I first had the pain from the hiatal hernia was in October of 2006. But on the other hand, I have had the acid and heartburn problems since the age of 10...and I am 25 now. I really should have never let it go that long, but I did. But the hernia pain just kicked in one night in October, and up until the surgery in January 2007, it never really let up. It just bothered me so much.

Hope this answered your questions.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:59 AM   #11
    vw4motion
    (male)

vw4motion HB User

Hi Andylin and others, I think this may be a good discussion for me to join. Can someone (probably Andylin) describe to me what is involved with hiatal hernia repair? Is it invasive? Recovery time? What is the name of the procedure - is this Nissen?

My symptoms started 7 months ago with severe chest pain - then tons of testing and finally endoscopy showed esophagus inflammation, small hiatal hernia and mild stomach gastritis. Was put on PPIs (Prevacid, later Protonix, this morning started Nexium). First two PPis did not really provide much relief. Tried to figure out triggers (food??), but could not correlate this pains (mostly dull mid chest pain and sharper left side pain associated with twitching sometime).

Then, I did abdominal sonogram which showed some gallbladder problems: gallstones and small polyp. Then I requested HIDA scan which showed 30% ejection fraction rate which is below normal. My DR thinks that I should remove gallbladder and hopefully it will help. Visited two surgeons and they think the same, but no one (which I understand) guarantees that my problems will be gone afterwards. II have a small issue with this since I really don't have any typical gallbladder symptopms (pain in right upper quadrant, nausea - feel lightheaded at times though).

Now, reading this discussion made me think what should be my priority: removing gallbladder or fixing hiatal hernia? Of course this is going to be the question for my doctor too next week.

Like many of you know (not easy to explain to folks not going through this ) these kind of problems can easily make a person incapacitating at times.

Any input is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Last edited by vw4motion; 04-28-2007 at 06:32 AM. Reason: adding detail

Old 04-29-2007, 06:57 AM   #12
    mellyuk
    (female)

mellyuk HB User

Hi

I have been having heartburn and now that has gone and I feel sick. I am 30 years old, strict veggie, healthy diet and loads of exercise. I feel lije there is a pressure just under my sternum and sometimes it feels like it is burning up my chest,

I was on strong painkillers from the age of 16 - 24 Voltoral for a back problem, I am wondering if it is possible I have a hernia?

12 months ago I went to the docs very upset as I had this burning that burnt my troat and mouth, the GP gave me 2 weeks of acid proibitors and it settled down. Now a year later it is the same, my doc just gives me these tablets and sends me away. Do you think I should get it checkout more and maybe pressure my GP into taking some tests?

Old 04-29-2007, 06:34 PM   #13
    andilyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

andilyn HB User

Hi vw4motion...

Well the surgery that I had was the Nissen surgery since I had GERD and the hernia. You said that you have gastritis and inflammation, so I am thinking that the surgery you would have would be the Nissen Fundoplication, if you were going to have surgery. Now I know that I personally don't have gallbladder issues, but my dr who did the surgery said that if I did, he would have taken that at the same time as the Nissen because sometimes a gallbladder that doesn't function properly will just add to the digestive problems. In my own opinion, I would ask about the possibility of getting both taken care of, they really can go hand in hand. My GERD was so severe that my dr told me that down the road I would more than likely develop some sort of cancer because of it. But then the hiatal hernia started giving me so many problems that I needed to get that taken care of too. I went to the ER so many times thinking I was having a heart attack at 25. But the surgery itself involved 5 small incisions. I had to be in the hospital 4 days and hooked up to a GI tube to pump my stomach for the first 3 days. I won't lie, it was NOT fun. But, it's been 3 months since I had the surgery, and I can't believe how good I feel. Once in a while I have a tiny pain where the hernia used to be, but it doesn't hurt really...more of an annoyance I guess. What they do during the surgery is take the part of your stomach that came through (the hernia) and put it back in place, and then they sew that area up so it can't come through again, plus they take a wrap and sew that around the bottom of the esophagus so food can't come back up. But after I got through the first 3-4 weeks afterwards, I really felt good. I was regretting the surgery while I was in the hospital, but that's because I was in there and in pain and all hooked up to stuff and couldn't eat. But I really truely am glad that I had it done. It really changed my life. I didn't have the pain anymore, or anymore acid reflux or heartburn. So if you really are having problems and can't get help from meds or lifestyle changes, then I would recommend the surgery. But it's certainly something you don't want to just do either. But if someome truely would benefit from it, then I would say go for it!

Old 04-30-2007, 01:29 PM   #14
    Roscoe36
    (male)

Roscoe36 HB User

Andilyn,

You really are a great source of information and I am glad to see that things are going so well for you.

I forgot to ask you another question: This weekend I had a lot of beer to drink one night and smoked a lot of cigs (which I try to limit as much as possible/quit). That night, I was in sooooo much pain. As in other times when I am having a lot of pain in my left chest and left back, I started feeling around there, to see what I could feel. Well, maybe this sounds crazy, but it actually seemed as though my rib cage on the left side was more expanded than on the right. That is, the ribs were more spread out than on the right side (like there was more crowding on the left side than on the right).

I know this sounds like I am being a hyponcondriac and obsessing about my body, but did you ever (or does anyone else here worrying about their HHs) notice this on yourself prior to the surgery????

Thanks,

Ross

Old 05-01-2007, 06:26 AM   #15
    andilyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

andilyn HB User

Hey Ross and everyone else...

I did happen to notice one or two times that my ribs on my left side felt different...just like they were sticking out a bit more. So I asked my dr about it, and he said although it's not a classic "textbook" symptom of a hiatal hernia, it can happen. The herina can slide at times, known as a sliding hernia, and it will crowd around other areas and then as an offset make your ribs appear to be sticking out. He also said that it can make breathing a little tougher sometimes too if it's moving around a bit. So yah, I think that's what you may be feeling. It's certainly possible!

Closed Thread