It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• Suspected Hiatal Hernia and natural treatment help???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
    Quadiack
    (male)

Quadiack HB User
    Suspected Hiatal Hernia and natural treatment help???

Hello all, I'm a 23, otherwise healthy/in shape male, other than these GERD and pain symptoms I developed quickly about 2 years ago. It all started when I returned from a post-college trip with my friends to China. I came down with a pneumonia type infection with phlegm and breathing difficulty. I got anti-biotics which didn't seem to help. It got so bad that I would wake up not being able to breath. I was force coughing as hard as I humanly could to clear this stuff from my lungs. I then began to get really worried and stressed that maybe I got some horrible disease from China. I was scheduled in a couple weeks to begin my long dreamed career which required peak physical condition, and at the time I was convinced I was terminally ill. Then, during this sickness I began noticing chest tightness, a lump in my throat, rib pain, and stomach pain especially when in a hunched sitting position, and had no idea what it was.

It is now two years later and I still have all the same symptoms minus the pneumonia.....lump, sore throat (especially if talking for a while), occasional stomach pain, chest tightness, and seemingly restricted breathing (though it doesn't effect me during exercise or anything). They are the worse especially when sitting for long periods. After lot's of research I have definitely concluded it is GI related, and I think the reason for it's sudden onset is from when I was sick, and all the coughing I was inducing, led to a hiatal hernia. Due to the nature of my job, and the training pipeline I have been in the past two years, I have been hesitant about bringing it up to the docs and have just toughed it out. But I am ready for this constant discomfort to be over and am looking for natural remedies. I hate pills and meds, nor am I able to take them, and I don't like the idea of permanent esophageal damage. Things like tums give me a minimal, and very temporary relief....but symptoms almost seem worse in between using them. What are the different natural (non-surgical) ways of correcting a hiatal hernia, who do I look up, and what are the other natural ways to reduce the symptoms??? I heard aloe, and apple vinegar are good. I try to minimize my stress as much as I can with my job as well. Any help/ideas would be great!

Thank you
    C~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
    buildingmaint
    (male)

buildingmaint HB User
    Re: Suspected Hiatal Hernia and natural treatment help???

How do you know you have a hiatal hernia? I have one that was found by a Gastro doc doing a scope of my throat. A hernia is some thing out of place, or protruding into another place. I would like to hear if there is a natural cure for them, is there a natural cure for a broken bone?

Old 06-27-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
    Quadiack
    (male)

Quadiack HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by buildingmaint View Post
    How do you know you have a hiatal hernia? I have one that was found by a Gastro doc doing a scope of my throat. A hernia is some thing out of place, or protruding into another place. I would like to hear if there is a natural cure for them, is there a natural cure for a broken bone?
    I suspect I got one from the sudden onset of the reflux symptoms after coughing so hard, I know this is a reason for such, and it would make sense since I had never had any GI symptoms before. I also read on one of these forums hints that there are natural ways by different practitioners which involve something to the effect of body positions and heat to loosen the muscle and allow the stomach to recede back below the diaphragm. This is what I meant by natural, as opposed to orthoscopic incision of the diaphragm. As for the broken bone analogy, there is a "sliding" hiatal hernia which protrudes then recedes again periodically....naturally. However, I doubt you'll find a bone that breaks and un-breaks naturally. ;-)

Old 07-01-2007, 04:08 AM   #4
    datgrlstef
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

datgrlstef HB User

Most people don't know they have a hernia unless the doctor finds it during a scope or something. Many don't have symptoms.. an ulcer, on the other hand, is probably easier to tell. Of course you could have one, and the dr might suggest that you don't, because the pain "should be worse by now". Of course my dr was wrong, and I was found out to have both an ulcer AND a hiatal hernia. My hernia presses up into my diaphragm, and alters my breathing. Great if you think you have one, and that you can treat it naturally. But I'm not sure they actually go away? (You sound like you've done enough research to figure out how to get rid of them). It's probably more obvious how not to aggravate it, though. As for the acid reflux and other problems, I think diet is your best bet... if you dont' want to take medication. As for the lump in your throat, have you ever been treated for thyroid problems?

Old 07-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Quote:
    My hernia presses up into my diaphragm, and alters my breathing.
    ]

Would you mind elaborating on that? Could you please describe HOW is your breathing altered?

I have had SOB problems for months. One of my prescription drugs, an alpha/beta blocker, was thought to be the causing it. I've been off this drug for about 5 weeks now and still have the same problem.

First, a weird sensation in my stomach develops, mostly during slight exertion, such as walking - tight and achy. The exact same feeling unfolds in my chest and a shortness of breath then follows. There's a burning pain in Fmy chest and in my throat during the shortness of breath.

I will need to address this issue. Which doctor should I ask to see? A pulmonologist, a GI or an ENT? My doctor, who is currently on holidays, thinks I should see a pulmonologist. I am not so sure. When I was given a trial size of Nexium, I found it relieved the burning but not the shortness of breath.

Any opinions from the readers would be much appreciated.

Flowergirl

Old 07-01-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Quote:
    My hernia presses up into my diaphragm, and alters my breathing.
    Would you mind elaborating on that? Could you please describe HOW is your breathing altered?

I have had SOB problems for months. One of my prescription drugs, an alpha/beta blocker, was thought to be the causing it. I've been off this drug for about 5 weeks now and still have the same problem.

First, a weird sensation in my stomach develops, mostly during slight exertion, such as walking - tight and achy. The exact same feeling unfolds in my chest and a shortness of breath then follows. There's a burning pain in my chest and in my throat during the shortness of breath.

I will need to address this issue. Which doctor should I ask to see? A pulmonologist, a GI or an ENT? My doctor, who is currently on holidays, thinks I should see a pulmonologist. I am not so sure. When I was given a trial size of Nexium, I found it relieved the burning but not the shortness of breath.

Any opinions from the readers would be much appreciated.

Flowergirl

Old 07-02-2007, 09:42 AM   #7
    datgrlstef
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

datgrlstef HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    Hi,

I can feel something pressing upwards into my lungs... my breathing becomes more audible, and it's almost like something compressing the chest cavity.. making it seem slightly more difficult to breathe.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
    Quadiack
    (male)

Quadiack HB User

Lately I've been drinking apple cider vinegar along with aloe juice, eating better, and working on really controlling my stress and I am happy to report that these have severely reduced my reflux symptoms! If you haven't tried these yet, I would suggest it. The biggest factor in my opinion has been stress. As soon as I start to stress out I feel my breathing constrict, and all the reflux symptoms.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:08 AM   #9
    CHALUPA
    (female)

CHALUPA HB User

Hi to all,
    I have the breathing problems now for 14 months. I have it all day long even when i am sitting and doing nothing. I have been on every reflux med there is and it doesn;t work at all. I have had every test done and all they see is mild esophogitis and a small haital hernia. My pulmonary doc said everything is good. I am not sure where to go from hear. I also have chronic gastritis they found in the scoap. I am scared to try thr acv because of the gastritis. Do you have gastritis and did it bother you.

Closed Thread