It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• Herniated disc (L4-L5), Sciatica due to it... and exercise.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2007, 04:41 AM   #1
    MarkP79
    (male)

MarkP79 HB User
    Herniated disc (L4-L5), Sciatica due to it... and exercise.

What should I do? I have been going to PT 3 times a week, stretching, traction, and the standard "hip thrust maneuver" exercises... besides that I do the exercises they gave me on my off days from PT. The pain pretty much makes me just want to lay down on the floor and not move... as this feels better what should I really be doing... walking... resuming the gym... swimming? I hurt extremely bad but if doing activities would maybe improve the pain if I can work through it I am willing to do so. Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks everyone,

Mark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
    Re: Herniated disc (L4-L5), Sciatica due to it... and exercise.

Hi, swimming might be the best because it doesnt put as much stress on your body so you might want to give it a try. When I had sciatica, it felt a little better for me while walking, though I had to keep my left leg bent, ughh. I had tried everything too and I couldnt even do all my PT exercises b/c they just hurt wayy too much. This was over 2 month's time. HOw long have you been doing PT? If it's been several weeks already and it's not helping at all, I think you should mention it to your doctor. They might want to try giving you an injection. An injection MIGHT help reduce inflammation & pain in there enough to do more exercise or other exercise positions that may help the disc (if it's due to a disc) shrink back. I finally had a nerve block done and was able to exercise good afterwards for 3 weeks, plus finally walk with my leg straight. For me, I think the combo of all of it helped because so far, since my injection on June 8th, my sciatica hasnt reappeared <keeping my fingers crossed> . Luckily, too, is that I guess they found the exact spot that my pain was coming from. This doesnt always seem to happen with everyone.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
    MarkP79
    (male)

MarkP79 HB User

Glad to hear that you are feeling better! I have an appt. to see my primary on Friday so I will tell her everything that has transpired and ask her what I should do. I am picking up a copy of my MRI results from her also so that I can take them plus the screens with me to the ortho. on the 17th.

I just can't stand being imobilized... but I don't want to mess things up more than they already are.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
    dorothy101
    (female)

dorothy101 HB User

Hi,Iam new,I just found out that i have a bulging disc,L4,L5.I am hurting pretty bad,any advice,would be appreciated.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
    MarkP79
    (male)

MarkP79 HB User

Hey Dorothy,

Sorry to hear that you are going through this too. I went to my primary doctor this past Friday and while there she prescribed a steriod, Prednizone (sp?), tylonol 3 with codeine (take at night while home) and told me to hold off on PT until I see the Ortho. Dr. I have also been taking Advil (ibuprofen) in 600mg doses every 6-8 hrs. and it seems to help take some of the sharpness out of the pain. This week has been a little better I guess... still starts killing me by the end of the day of sitting in front of the computer though and by the time I get home I am done.

I wish that I could be of more help but I am just a little over 3 months into this whole ordeal and am still trying to figure things out and what needs to be done.

Hope you can get some relief soon.

Mark

Old 08-07-2007, 10:17 PM   #6
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

Hi Mark. I would be careful taking all that tylenol and the ibuprofen too. It can really take a toll on your tummy and liver. The prednisone is to reduce swelling often is a quick fix to feeling a tad better, until it wears off.

Know that a disc can heal on its own and most without surgical intervention. But it is not a quick heal by any means. It is said that it can take up to 2 years for a disc to resect itself, it at all.

Also, I have a bulging disc at l5/s1 that used to cause me horrific pain at age 18.. but after 15+ years.. it just quit hurting. It's still there, but no longer causes me any pain there. It may again some day, but so far.. so good!

Rest, PT and meds are the "drugs of choice" through this, on and off. If over time, nothing works and you are no better or even worse, then surgery of several types may be offered to help you. But surgery should be a last resort. There are no quick fixes for this and is life altering for most.

But you can get your life back, but it is going to take time. Learn to know your body better than ever, learn all you can about your back issue along with treatments etc., and insist on effective communications between you and your medical support, can create a team effort to getting you well and back into life again.

hang in there and welcome to this forum.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
    Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
    Solidly Fused Nov-2006
    A Success, but still improving!

Last edited by Justoneofus; 08-07-2007 at 10:19 PM.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:43 AM   #7
    yvette777
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yvette777 HB User

The best thing I have found is the pool. If you get one of those waist bands that holds you up. Stay in the deep end, and do all kinds of stuff to work out and this way there is no impact on your spine. I take water classes at the YMCA don't know if you have one nearby but they have many differnet classes and I take the one for people like me with injurys or recovering from surgery. And walking walking, and more walking. Core strengtheing if you can find ways to not hurt your back like some pilates moves.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #8
    kkmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kkmom HB User

Hi guys, its me just peeping around, but I have 2 bulging disc and severe back and buttock pain at times and constant pain in the left leg and ankles. I wantd to ask a question about exercise, is a elliptical ok. I usually try to do the water classes, but some are too advance for me because i need weight loss also. I hope you all are haivng a pain free day

Old 08-09-2007, 06:44 AM   #9
    MarkP79
    (male)

MarkP79 HB User

Justoneofus, I take the ibuprofen during the day while at work and then wait a little before bed to take the tylonol, think this is a bad thing... I give it about a 3 hour effective time separation. The tylonol helps me sleep but wouldn't work out so well while trying to work lol.

I have been doing my "core exercises" as much as possible and it seems to be helping my back some, of course it could also have something to do with the prednisone being halfway through the 12 day stepdown. If my back feels up to it I think I am going to hit the pool this weekend and see what happens. I am counting down the days until next Friday (17th) to see the ortho dr. to see what he has to say... at this point I would give almost anything to get rid of this feeling. The constant foot being asleep thing is really bothering me second to the pain of course.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #10
    4everabeliever
    (female)

4everabeliever HB User

Wishing you all the very best, I too deal with sciatica I try to do my exercises everyday which I'm praying will help in the long run. It's great if you can do your exercises, so the PT says so keep it up, just don't over do it. I try to walk, and sometimes ride my bike. I had a micro discectomy 5-5-08 I'm doing alot better then I was as far as muscle spams go, but still dealing with sciatica down my left leg and into my foot. It's a stabbing,burning,shooting pain I was so hoping the surgery would take care of all of that, but I'm hanging in there and hoping for the best.

The neuro surgeon said if I was going to get relief it should have happened by now, which leaves me worried that I'll always have this pain. She said my MRI looks ok and the only thing she saw was a small pocket of fluid, and a little knucle of the bone sticking out a little but no decompression of the nerve root. So I'm wondering why I still have this pain down my leg and into my foot. It's a mystery to me.

Blessings,

4everabeliever

Closed Thread