It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• Hiatal Hernia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
    FarmGirl31
    (female)

FarmGirl31 HB UserFarmGirl31 HB User
    Hiatal Hernia

I think I have found the answer to my trouble breathing problem: a hiatal hernia. I also have Gastroparesis and GERD, which doesnt help things. But anyway, I would like to hear from others who have a hiatal hernia, what their symptoms were/are and what they are doing to treat it.

I was not diagnosed by a doctor yet, but I feel very certain now after some research that I do have one. And I recalled being told years ago by a Chiropractor that I had one (dont know how he knew but I didnt pay much attention, since I had no symptoms back then).

I get "episodes" where I cant get to the "top" of my breathe, cant take in a deep breathe. Its a lot worse if I already am very bloated and gassy (from eating too much or just sometimes no reason it seems). I had a severe episode Friday morning after I got up. I was in bed, was fine, got up and sat here at the computer. In about a minute I felt something inside my gut... and then I could just tell I was going to have trouble breathing. I had to stand up and pace all over the house.... struggling to breathe, with anxiety coming on me and making it all worse. Its like I can only breathe from my chest when it happens, and then I get anxious for not being able to breathe as freely as I want, and breathe faster... and the chest muscles get tight... and I start to feel a little scared.... I take a mild tranquilizer out of sheer desperation and after it kicks in (30 minutes??) I can relax and breathe a little better. Will still be with distended abdoment, but Im not forcing myself to hard to breathe because Ive relaxed a little (I think that is what is happening anyway).

I also burp a lot, esp right after I eat or drink anything, even a small cup of water. I hiccup. I look 9 months pregnant a lot of the time.... I also have the GERD/LP reflux so my vocal cords have been bathed in acid a lot lately. My breastbone is sore and hurts when I press on it (I think that is Costochondritis). I'm very frustrated and also down in heart due to all this. I find myself living in fear of the next "episode" of breathing trouble. It is very frightening when it happens. I dont think its asthma at all because I can feel it start in the stomach area, and also I never cough or wheeze. And I dont think an anti-anxiety would quell a true asthma attack.

Anybody got any input? I would love to hear from someone who has successfully treated their hiatal hernia, too. I am trying to watch more closely what I eat or drink, and not to eat late at night, and I know I do need to drop a good 50 pounds too. I gained a ton of weight in the last 2 plus years, but I cant lose it all overnight, and I'd love relief of my symptoms as soon as I can have it, yanno?

Thanks for listening,

FarmGirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
    Re: Hiatal Hernia

I would wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air. My throat would lock up. I was told I had asthma and to go to the hospital when it happened. I didn't because once I had an episode it was over. I kept an inhaler with me. I never had any heartburn unless I really ate something greasy just before bed which I seldom did.
    A different dr told me my throat closing up could be GERD. I had an endoscomy (sp) and was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. The dr also dilated my esphopogus ( I can't spell ) I take protonix for awhile and then slack off. Honestly the best solution is to eat low fat foods and avoid the spices.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: Hiatal Hernia

Mel,

Did the dilation of your esophagus eliminate your breathing problems? While using the asthma meds, did they seem to help>? Do you think you had asthma?

Closed Thread