It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• GERD, Hiatal Hernia, or possible heart problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
    TWA1022
    Inactive
    (female)

TWA1022 HB User
    GERD, Hiatal Hernia, or possible heart problems

Hello all! I have posted on here before with my symptoms and they went away in November but now they are back with avengence! I have listed all my symptoms, tests, diagnoses and medications I was prescribed.

Most of this started while I was pregnant with my son in April of 2006, and all the doctors told me they would subside upon delivery (he is now 18 months old!). I am a 29 yo female, 5'3, 140 lbs., very limited drinker, social smoker, exercise at least once a week.

Anyway here is a list of my symptoms:
    *Chest pain (pressure sometimes in the middle, but mostly under left breast)
    *Left arm pain (mostly in forearm, sometimes in the bicep area and hand)
    *Joint pain on left side (mostly in fingers and toes in the morning)
    *Swelling in vein in left forearm (I can actually feel it swelling)
    *Left shoulder pain (almost feels at time like a pinched nerve)
    *Lip numbness (most commonly occurs in the AM)
    *Back pain (mostly left side, opposite heart and lower left hand side
    *Leg pain (always the left but varies between calf and quad)
    *Stomach pains (sometimes tender to the touch under the sternum)
    *Dizziness (on occasion)
    *Rapid heart rate (comes and goes...not necess. because of exertion)

Here is a list of tests done beginning April 2006:
    *Chest x-ray (at least 5 done, last one July 2007)
    *EKG (too many to count, last one July 2007)
    *Echo (3 done, last one done July 2007)
    *Stress echo treadmill (2 done, last one done July 2007)
    *Stress thallium echo (July 2007)
    *Tilt-table test (July 2007)
    *Ultrasound carotids (2 done, last one done July 2007)
    *Ultrasound of abdomen (2 done, last one done July 2007)
    *Venous doppler of both legs (September 2006)
    *V/Q scan (2 done, last one done August 2007)
    *Holter monitor (wore at least 3, last one June 2007)
    *Endoscopy (July 2007)
    *Gallbladder scan (September 2007)

Here are diagnoses I have received:
    *GERD with esophageal erosions (no Barrett's)
    *Hiatal hernia (would repair but pointless unless I am finished having kids)
    *Gallbladder function only 21% (removed September 2007)
    *Vasovagal syncope
    *Anxiety (this is one of my favorite diagnosis'...haha)
    *ALL HEART PROBLEMS RULED OUT DUE TO HEART TEST RESULTS ALL W.N.L

Medications I was prescribed, but no longer taking:
    *50 mg Zoloft (for the anxiety)
    *10mg propranolol (for the rapid heart rate)
    *625 mg Sodium bicar (for the vasovagal syncope)
    *Klonopin min. amount as needed (for anxiety)
    *20 mg Protonix (for the GERD)
    *81 mg Aspirin

I am no longer on any meds due to my gallbladder being removed. All my docs figured my symptoms and problems were due to that. Could this all be related to my GERD and hiatal hernia or should I be concerned that this was all really heart problems covered up by the gallbladder. Just a little concerned since they all went away and now in the past 2 weeks they have come back. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Rachelle

Last edited by TWA1022; 02-16-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 02:31 AM   #2
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
    Re: GERD, Hiatal Hernia, or possible heart problems

I have a lot of the same symptons. I have 3 herniated discs in my neck. One is pinching a nerve. From that I get what feel like shocks in my upper arm. I also have tendontitis in my elbow which could be related to that. I don't get the feeling you get with the nerve swelling. I get the back, leg pain from my post op fusion surgery. The rest of the stuff I don't get. Sorry you have to go through all that. I have other issues too and it is rough. Especially when doctors tell you all you tests are fine.

I would think it is not your heart only because the Echo's, EKG etc. are pretty accurate. I'm going through the whole stomach pain and nausea now too and so far all tests normal. But the pain gets worse every day. My gallbladder came out in 1992.

The Vasovagel can cause the dizziness I think. I thought that was a heart problem though.

You never know with these tests. I had about 4 echos starting around age 38 because I took the diet drug. I have regurgitation. When I was 40 they found a tiny hole in the upper chambers of the heart. It is called Patent Foream Ovale. All babies have it but it closes when they are born. So it is a birth defect. They find it after doing 4 echos. My last echo they could not see it. I think it depends on the technician. She enlarges on the tape what the doctor reads. When I tell them I have it they search and find it. It really makes you wonder. I just have to take antibiotics before the dentist.

All I can say is keep fighting. That is what I am doing. I keep calling the doctor. I'm not a pest or anything but I keep in touch.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
    TWA1022
    Inactive
    (female)

TWA1022 HB User
    Re: GERD, Hiatal Hernia, or possible heart problems

Hessie,

Apparently I got the diagnosis of Vasovagal Syncope because they could not find any reason as to why I was having dizzy spells. In July I had an episode where I passed in the shower. I was in the hospital for 4 days and that's when majority of the tests were performed on my heart. All of them came back fine, but when I was in there they had me stand up and my heart rate dropped to 34 BPM and I barely had a BP. They did the tilt-table and everyone thought I would fail it, but it should nothing. The only reason they said vasovagal was because they could not find anything. It is actually an electrical disturbance....I was told it is more with nerves and electrolytes than heart related. I wonder if some of this could be related to disc problems in my back, but the docs keep telling me that I am fine and that it is all in my head. I guess I made my heart rate drop on its own.....

Rachelle

Closed Thread