It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• Acid Reflux? Hiatal Hernia? Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
    JESSIECOLA
    (female)

JESSIECOLA HB User
    Exclamation Acid Reflux? Hiatal Hernia? Help!

I'm 25 and have been suffering from, what seems like acid reflux, for about 6 years. I wake up every morning with a sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, sometimes irritated ears. I suffer from constant belching and some coughing attacks. I often regurgitate what I eat or drink, even if it's just water on an empty stomach. I went to the doctor and she ordered me to have an upper GI, which resulted in nothing more than the doctor telling me my stomach sits a little high. When my stomach is full, I have shortness of breath. Any time I vomit, there is blood, which seems to mainly be coming from my throat. Sometimes the acid that comes up from my stomach burns my throat so bad that my eyes water. Ihave often woke up with such throat pain and swelling, that it was tender to touch the the outside of my throat. I'm not sure what is wrong with me, so any helpful suggestions or facts are much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
    chadillac80
    (male)

chadillac80 HB User
    Re: Acid Reflux? Hiatal Hernia? Help!

I am 29 and suffered from a hiatal hernia for the past 4 or 5 years. I was first told that i had a hiatal hernia after receiving a PET scan for other problems. I had constant heartburn and relfux every day for awhile prior to the scan. Once the doctor told me about the hernia and the symptoms, I was relieved to know what caused my problems.

I had been waking up in the middle of the night coughing and vomiting many nights. It would almost feel like I was having a heart attack at times. I would always cough up a pinkish colored liquid and have a metallic taste in the back of my throat afterwards.

The doctor prescribed me prilosec. This has helped tremendously. I went from having heartburn many times a day, to hardly ever having it. I would get heart burn from drinking even water before. So it has definitely helped.

I am not sure what other type of scan can detect a hernia, but I would talk to your doctor about it for sure. Hope this has helped.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Jessie, have you been placed on any medication at all for the reflux?

It sounds like you need some relief.

You can take Gaviscon in the meantime to keep the acid inside the stomach.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
    bestoldies04
    (female)

bestoldies04 HB Userbestoldies04 HB Userbestoldies04 HB User

For all that have a Hiatal Hernia and or acid reflux try taking organic flax seed oil two or three tablespoons a day. I was having similar problem, taking Prevacid, Protonix, Zantac over the few years and not helping very much. I started taking the flax seed oil last December and I have seen my problem decrease so much. I am told if I take it long enough it will go away. Also it was recommended I mix it with organic cottage cheese and organic yogurt. I mix mine with a homemade juice otherwise I could not stand it because it is oily. Try mixing it with something you enjoy. It won't hurt you, it's worth a try. Health Food and vitamin stores sell it and also Trader Joes and Whole Food stores if you have one in your area.

Last edited by bestoldies04; 02-10-2010 at 10:27 AM.

Closed Thread