It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

My Hernia Story

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
kijillion HB User
My Hernia Story

Hi, I am from Canada and thought I would share my experience with hernia surgery. I have had a hernia in my stomach for about a year now. It started from a small lump and grew in to a huge bulge. I never really had any pain from it, but you could see this huge bulge through a shirt, or even jacket. Don't wait as long as I did to get a hernia fixed. I could have avoided a lot of headaches and grief.

When I first went to see my Doctor he was on holidays, and the replacement Doctor told me if there was no pain, I would just have to live with it. He recommended I buy a support belt to hold the bulge in. I bought one from Wal-Mart made by Formedica. It is just a long piece of stretchable fabric with velcro. You wrap it around and then adjust the tightness with the velcro. It really held my bulge in, and allowed me to feel better about going out. Eventually my Doctor came back and he sent me too see a stomach Specialist.

The Specialist was so busy that it took several months before he could see me. By that time, my bulge was pretty much staying out all the time, and I could feel the hole that it was popping through. The bulge was apparently a part of my intestines. The specialist said I should get Laparoscopic Surgery to fix my stomach. Laparoscopic is where they use small incisions instead of large incisions to do the surgery. He said I actually had two hernias; the hole and another tear just below. He said he had some openings for the surgery within a month.

I said I would have to check with work first to get some time off. My work told me that in two months I could take my two weeks holidays. My work is somewhat strenuous, but I am hoping two weeks will be enough to return. If you have someone to take care of you after the surgery that would be best. I didn't want to bother anyone so I made sure I had lots of protein, fruit,vegetables, bran and milk products at home. Also set up your room so that everything you need is near your bed.I was told not to eat or drink anything after midnight. My surgery was on November 7, 2012 at 10:45 a.m. I was told to arrive at 7:45 a.m. and my surgery was over at about 12:30 pm.

When I arrived I was given my own area with a bed, chair and closet. I had to remove all my clothes and put on that flimsy hospital gown with a robe. It is best to wear sweat pants and a loose shirt to the hospital. The nurse came and did some basic tests on my heart, blood pressure, temperature, etc. She then asked if I had any questions and explained how things would work. I had actually worked over-night so my plan was to sleep for the three hour wait. Then some Nursing student came in and asked if she could be allowed to watch the procedure. I said yes because I figured I would be put to sleep anyways. She then sat down in the chair and just waited. I couldn't sleep with her there, so I just chatted with her for three hours. I was then moved to a waiting area just outside the surgery room. There were also others laying in beds beside me.There I met the Head nurse, Anaesthesiologist, and my Surgeon. I found a lot of information about my surgeon at He had some complaints against him, but I didn't really have a problem with him.

In the surgery room there were about six people altogether. They inserted an I.V. in my arm and then put a mask over my mouth which put me to sleep. When I woke up I was back in my room and the nursing student said I had been sleeping about an hour. The student said they made about six small incisions and then attached a mesh over the hole in my stomach. I went back to sleep until about 4:00 pm.Then this evil nurse came in and tried to get me out of the bed and walking. I told her it was really painful, but she didn't seem to care. She made me walk in a circle and then told me she was going to call my ride to take me home. She acted like she was in a real hurry to empty the bed. They gave me a prescription for Tylenol 3 and stool softener so you can go to the bathroom easier. They told me to take the medication because it will take away the pain and help you move around.

My original plan was to take a cab home, but they said that even if you take a cab, you need to have a responsible adult accompany you home.When I got home I just rested in bed and watched t.v. The hardest things for me are getting in and out of beds and cars.I try to slide in and out as slowly as possible. I also got a cold which is very difficult when you have to cough. If you get lots of colds, you might want to have your surgery in the summer. Coughing makes your stomach feel like something is tearing inside.

It has now been four days since my surgery and I have been mostly resting and watching movies. If I am sitting,sleeping or walking there is no pain. I also have not been eating much because it makes my stomach hurt. It also doesn't hurt when I urinate.I also need to start walking, but there is so much snow that I will have to go to a mall or something. I am going to try wearing that velcro belt for support. I have left my stomach bandages on because I feel like they are protecting the incisions. I still don't feel comfortable enough to drive in case I have to make a sudden movement.There is a bump where my hernia was, but the surgeon said that is fluid that the body will absorb. I did take a shower yesterday and that was relatively painless.The main thing is to make sure you don't lift anything over 10 pounds and don't strain the repair. Today I went for a long walk and had a large meal and it felt really good. I know this is a rambling mess, but if you have some questions I will try to answer them.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 11-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1
Supremostar HB User
Re: My Hernia Story

Hi kijillion,

I diagnosed with inguinal hernia recently. I have no pain at all. I had a lump in my sac, omentum moved into the scrotum and not the bowel loops. It can be pushed back in most of the times.

My testicle left from the scrotum and couldn't find in the sac. The surgery is urgent due to the fertility matters and not because of the hernia.

Because, I have erection problems in the past 1 year. My testosterone level is within the range but the FSH level is very high, indicates testicular failure.

If I do a surgery, I need to get off for atleast 2 weeks. I scare, after two weeks I can back to work or it takes more time to recover.

Please give a suggestion.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Hernia/Groin Injury/Gilmore groin oceanbreez Hernia 5 01-07-2012 09:40 AM
~~~Desperate for advice..please help..hiatal hernia/lpr~~~ mom2C&J Hernia 7 04-21-2008 09:41 PM
Hiatal Hernia Surgery bacchus99 Hernia 5 02-10-2007 07:29 AM
Hiatal Hernia Questions? Nikolai Hernia 5 12-26-2006 09:55 PM
i have both Diverticulosis and a Haital Hernia... j.m. Hernia 3 06-28-2006 03:53 AM
Hiatal Hernia, Acid Reflux Question MISTYMAID59 Hernia 1 11-22-2005 09:49 PM
Incisional hernia repair Princesspeapod Hernia 0 11-15-2005 05:52 PM
Hiatal hernia? Melissa, Oregon Hernia 6 07-15-2004 06:23 PM
No Hernia....? Whitewolf06 Hernia 1 07-15-2004 05:58 PM
Anyone ever have an inguinal hernia operation? jimbrown Hernia 1 05-24-2003 10:36 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!