It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• Hemangiomas and the spine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
    river1628n
    (female)

river1628n HB User
    Hemangiomas and the spine

Hi..I read on a previous older thread that people were asking if Hemangiomas in the spine are caused by the spine as usually people who have Hemangiomas also have spine problems. I have had Hemangiomas all my life and Dr. said I was born with this condition and they can grow anywhere at any time and exisiting ones will grow as I grow. I have them all over but now have one at C2 on spine & diagnosed with Cervical Spondylosis & Stenosis & Scoliosis. This is interesting that there may be a connection! Also, every Dr. I have seen says they do not cause pain but mine become inflamed, swell and cause a lot of pain. Dr's tell me it is the muscles or soft tissues around them that become painful not the Hemangioma themselves. My one Dr. wants to do a biopsy of the ones in my neck which I have had for 40 yrs. because my MRI said suspected cancer. I told him that they can mimic cancer on MRI's and too dangerous to biopsy (hemorrhage, bleeding, blood clots, etc.) He made an appt. for me with an Ear, Nose, Throat doctor to have a biopsy anyways!! Think I may need new Dr. if I can't get through to him so forced to go to ENT Dr. today. Hope she can get my Dr. to understand them (He is a new Doctor for me) and I only Hope She Understand Them!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
    Here4u2
    (female)

Here4u2 HB User
    Re: Hemangiomas and the spine

Quote:
    Originally Posted by river1628n View Post
    Hi..I read on a previous older thread that people were asking if Hemangiomas in the spine are caused by the spine as usually people who have Hemangiomas also have spine problems. I have had Hemangiomas all my life and Dr. said I was born with this condition and they can grow anywhere at any time and exisiting ones will grow as I grow. I have them all over but now have one at C2 on spine & diagnosed with Cervical Spondylosis & Stenosis & Scoliosis. This is interesting that there may be a connection! Also, every Dr. I have seen says they do not cause pain but mine become inflamed, swell and cause a lot of pain. Dr's tell me it is the muscles or soft tissues around them that become painful not the Hemangioma themselves. My one Dr. wants to do a biopsy of the ones in my neck which I have had for 40 yrs. because my MRI said suspected cancer. I told him that they can mimic cancer on MRI's and too dangerous to biopsy (hemorrhage, bleeding, blood clots, etc.) He made an appt. for me with an Ear, Nose, Throat doctor to have a biopsy anyways!! Think I may need new Dr. if I can't get through to him so forced to go to ENT Dr. today. Hope she can get my Dr. to understand them (He is a new Doctor for me) and I only Hope She Understand Them!!!
    I'm not sure all medical science theorist say about hemangioma's, however, I have read they are vascular bed tumors, seemingly these tumors consist of veins and arteries clumped together?

If thats the case, it would seem likely they very well do cause problems.... I have some as well in my thoracic spine and they tend to flare up if I have twisted too much, and I do very little twisting..........some medical theorists state they don't cause any pain unless they become very large and impinge on other structures.........

How do they know this, do they have them as well? I understand they are common, so because people complain of back pain, or whatever portion of the spine the hemangiomas are in, because they say they don;'t cause pain, they don't?

Bull molarky.

Honestly, there seems to be very little common sense in the specialty when it comes to symptoms and pain...........they parrot only what some other prior studies dictate....

The best place for Doctors to learn about an individuals symptoms of pain, is from the individual.

Closed Thread

Tags
    hemangiomas, spine