It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board

• Hiatal hernia - DON'T PANIC!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
    PuffingPanda
    (male)

PuffingPanda HB User
    Smile Hiatal hernia - DON'T PANIC!

I feel my experience may be helpful to those of you who are finding this "thing" is dominating their life with worry, anxiety and discomfort. I've been there, had a breakdown, and come through the other side. In a nutshell:
    1. I began suffering from terrible acid reflux, had a gastroscopy and ph tests which indicated a hernia with frighteningly high acid levels in my esophagus. I was told Id need surgery. Medication seemed to have no impact and the daily pain, discomfort, worry and anxiety lead to an eventual collapse, which has taken me the better part of a year to recover from. AND NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS.
    2. It turns out I was initially misdiagnosed - I received a second assessment from a physician which showed my acid levels were normal, (it was incorrectly measured) and the hernia is small. More importantly, ALMOST ALL OF THE SYMPTOMS (ie: acid reflux, severe bloating, 'stuck in throat' symptoms, extreme fatigue, constipation, etc) WERE MOSTLY FROM THE ANXIETY AND WORRY!
    3. After my breakdown I sought help from a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) practitioner who provided me with two crucial things: (i) Mental resilience to deal with the symptoms and realise this is not a death sentence (ii) tools to overcome the anxiety and worry.
    In conjunction with anxiety medication (which i am now off), most of the symptoms, over the period of a year, have all but disappeared. Im left with what was probably the initial cause of it all in the beginning - common IBS!
    In conclusion, I don't deny this condition exists and does need to be diagnosed. However, PLEASE BE AWARE THAT (i) IT IS MANAGEABLE, (ii) ANXIETY ELEVATES THE SYMPTOMS A THOUSAND FOLD, AND (iii) I STRONGLY RECOMMEND CBT TO PROVIDE YOU WITH MENTAL RESILIENCE TO DEAL WITH IT.
    I wish you all the best and feel free to ask me any more questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    anxiety, hernia, hiatal, worry