It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Prevention & opinion question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
    ShapeofaGirl
    (female)

ShapeofaGirl HB User
    Question Prevention & opinion question

This is a question pertaining to oral herpes.

I have only had two sexual partners. Both clean, and we always used condoms (for both oral and intercourse).

My question is, in addition to condoms (as a method of prevention for stds), is there anything else I can do to prevent the possibility of contracting oral herpes from a future partner *just from kissing*?

I know for a fact that I do not have anything. (Got tested with my last partner, and have absolutely have nothing, & never did). I have not been sexually active since then. (We broke up a few months ago).

I would like to start dating again but am paranoid now bc a guy I like ( and am just getting to know), is also single and I would like to date him. But since oral herpes can be contracted just by kissing I literally wary to kiss anyone. ( I did not know oral herpes could be contracted just by kissing when I was younger, so the thought & worry never occurred to me until recently).

This (new) guy has a slight mark he occasionally gets on his upper lip. Just ONE single mark (NOT a cluster).

I got a cold sore once or twice in high school (from stress and diet), so I know what a healing cold sore looks like. And this mark resembles that.

However, I do not see this guy every day or on a regular basis. (But I have seen in photos on his faceb00k & that he has had this mark on at least on two different occasions, both times on his upper lip, but once on the right side and the other time on the left. No clusters, nothing bubbly or 'blistery'-looking. Just a single reddish mark that looks like it could be a healing/fading cold sore. It's fairly subtle.

Do you think a guy who knows he has oral herpes would really be posting close-ups of his smiling face on faceb00k (when he has a mark present on his lip in the photo) if that's really what he has?

Or am I just being paranoid?

He works out a lot and really enjoys food, so I don't know if that could possibly be connected to it...

What do you think?

I am very attracted to this guy, however some of his friends (as well as some of my friends) are very promiscuous, and we all kind of run in the same circle, so I am thinking this (him having oral herpes) is a possibility... but I really don't know...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2015, 12:29 AM   #2
    7ember
    (female)

7ember HB User
    Re: Prevention & opinion question

If someone has a cold sore and you kiss, you may get a cold sore yourself.

Did it not occur to you that it was a patch of chapping on his lips, not a cold sore?

Herpes virus can be transmitted even without visible signs of a sore. You have no way of telling if anyone on the whole planet has herpes. You are a million times more likely to get a cold from being in the same room as someone with a cold than you are of getting a cold sore from kissing someone.

Having said that, keep this in mind. If a guy has a cold sore and performs oral sex on you, the virus can be transmitted to your genitals and it can mutate from oral herpes to genital herpes. And if you have sex with him, you can then give him herpes.

Last edited by 7ember; 07-18-2015 at 01:08 AM. Reason: typo

Old 07-18-2015, 12:43 AM   #3
    ShapeofaGirl
    (female)

ShapeofaGirl HB User
    Re: Prevention & opinion question

thank you

I appreciate it.

Closed Thread

Tags
    herpes, kissing, mouth, oral, prevention