It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Will an IGM show up positive for Shingles? HELP!?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
    NoUser
    (male)

NoUser HB User
    Will an IGM show up positive for Shingles? HELP!?

I NEED advice. Please read, I'll keep it short.

Couple years back, I had an infection that appeared to be Herpes. Went and got a swab, came back negative. 11 months later, I went in for an IGG blood test for HSV-1, and HSV-2, again, results came back negative.

Fast forward about 2 years, I have another breakout, this time it's HUGE! Went to my Doctor, he said it looked like Shingles. He took a blood draw, again, for type 1 AND 2 Herpes. This time, we ran for both IGM, and IGG antibodies. Test comes back today, and I passed the IGG with flying colors, but got a positive on my IGM.

I've been monogamous with my girl for 3 years, and so has she. My question is this... Can an IGM show a positive from Shingles, can the test not tell the difference between strains? Is that what happened to me? Or is it possible, that I was infected some years back, and still haven't produced IGG antibodies? Cause I'm certain I didn't just catch it NOW... Unless it was from a toilet seat.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
    Ash1990
    (female)

Ash1990 HB User
    Re: Will an IGM show up positive for Shingles? HELP!?

Hello,
    I have been living with Hsv-2 for couple years now. Are your blisters in clusters and fluid filled? Do they itch? have you had chicken pox before? Sometimes shingles look Exatly like HSV but are not. If your not producing iGG antibodys it's probably around 99% conclusive you do not have HSV.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
    NoUser
    (male)

NoUser HB User

No, I'm not producing IGG antibodies. But I am wondering if whether or not the IGM test can tell the difference between Shingles, and Herpes. But yes, I have all those symptoms.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
    Ash1990
    (female)

Ash1990 HB User

follow up with your doctor it usually takes about 2 weeks for people to produce IGG antibodys. if you would like to ease your mind take another test but 99% its just your chickenpox virus acting up .

Closed Thread

Tags
    herpes, hsv-1, hsv-2, shingles, test