It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• HSV-2 in throat, but not in mouth or on face

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #1
    leopard89
    (male)

leopard89 HB User
    HSV-2 in throat, but not in mouth or on face

I have just been diagnosed with HSV-2 in the throat, contracted after giving oral sex to a man and diagnosed through a throat swab. The throat swab was done because I was showing symptoms (throat ulcers, etc.) of a possible HSV-2 infection in my throat, though I at no time showed any symptoms in my mouth, on my tongue, or anywhere on my face, and it would appear that I have not contracted it in those places.

The doctor mentioned that it is likely that only the throat is currently affected but that it is possible that the HSV-2 could subsequently spread to other areas such as my mouth. She was unable to tell me how to prevent this from happening. On the one hand, my gut feeling is that it will be pretty difficult to prevent transmission to my mouth and tongue because of the movement of saliva in the area, but on the other hand, it is strange to me that only my throat would be affected in the first place when clearly my tongue, mouth and lips also came into contact with the virus in the first place, and I am wondering if it will take a specific act to infect those areas.

Is there anything I could or should be doing to prevent transmission to my mouth and tongue? Should I, for example, be taking an antiviral treatment regularly to prevent viral shedding? I would prefer to limit the presence of HSV-2 to only one area if possible, but I am unsure of how to do that exactly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #2
    SoThisHappened
    (female)

SoThisHappened HB User
    Re: HSV-2 in throat, but not in mouth or on face

Although I do not have an answer to your question since I myself have only been diagnosed a day ago and only have been experiencing an ob on the genitals, I do have a question for you. If you do not mind me asking, aside from performing oral, did you also have vaginal or anal sex? I only ask because the night I contracted the H, I had both vaginal and oral sex and am only experiencing an outbreak on the genitals. I was wondering if it is possible that later on I too could have an ob of the throat and mouth?

Last edited by SoThisHappened; 09-11-2016 at 06:26 PM.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #3
    leopard89
    (male)

leopard89 HB User

It was oral sex only.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #4
    SoThisHappened
    (female)

SoThisHappened HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leopard89 View Post
    It was oral sex only.
    Okay thanks.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
    rstwp82
    (female)

rstwp82 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leopard89 View Post
    I have just been diagnosed with HSV-2 in the throat, contracted after giving oral sex to a man and diagnosed through a throat swab. The throat swab was done because I was showing symptoms (throat ulcers, etc.) of a possible HSV-2 infection in my throat, though I at no time showed any symptoms in my mouth, on my tongue, or anywhere on my face, and it would appear that I have not contracted it in those places.

The doctor mentioned that it is likely that only the throat is currently affected but that it is possible that the HSV-2 could subsequently spread to other areas such as my mouth. She was unable to tell me how to prevent this from happening. On the one hand, my gut feeling is that it will be pretty difficult to prevent transmission to my mouth and tongue because of the movement of saliva in the area, but on the other hand, it is strange to me that only my throat would be affected in the first place when clearly my tongue, mouth and lips also came into contact with the virus in the first place, and I am wondering if it will take a specific act to infect those areas.

Is there anything I could or should be doing to prevent transmission to my mouth and tongue? Should I, for example, be taking an antiviral treatment regularly to prevent viral shedding? I would prefer to limit the presence of HSV-2 to only one area if possible, but I am unsure of how to do that exactly.
    Hi leopard,

I'm just curious, as I've been wondering if I was exposed to herpes through oral sex as well - did you have any other symptoms that prompted you to go to the doctor for a throat swab? I've been having recurrent sore throats, but never had a culture done for HSV - it's always been for strep..which tests negative each time.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
    leopard89
    (male)

leopard89 HB User

I had a sore throat and fever.

Closed Thread