It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Convinced I have genital HSV1 ... everyone says I don’t

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-05-2018, 04:50 PM   #1
    JohnID
    (male)

JohnID HB User
    Convinced I have genital HSV1 ... everyone says I don’t

Hi all,

So long story somewhat short....

My wife has GHSV1. I accidentally gave it to her performing oral sex back before we knew this was ever possible. This was over 10 years ago and confirmed via swab.

Iíve been told by several doctors and experts that itís both impossible or HIGHLY unlikely for me to ever acquire Genital HSV1 since Iíve had it orally since I was about 5 years old with one visible outbreak per year.

BEFORE I accidentally infected my wife I had a brief rash in my pubic area however the doctor said it was nothing and it cleared shortly.

Until about 2 months ago Iíve never noticed anything.

Then two months ago I start feeling a bit irritated down there while at the beach. I have fair and sensitive skin. I looked and there appeared to be almost a very slight heat rash with a few more noticeable flat pinkish spots. I monitored them and they never raised or pussed or filled with fluid that I saw.

However I was paranoid and went to my primary care who assured me it was nothing and looked like a grown hair or folliculitis.... I also saw a dermatologist a few days later who barely looked and said itís nothibg.

Then a few more red spots seemed to appear about a week and a half later and are much more noticeable when I get warm... especially after working out. I THEN went to urgent care and once again she said it was nothing.

Then went back to my original doctor who was out but the on call doctor said if theee previous doctor said itís nothibg and over 3 weeks went by then I have to trust them.

Things seemed to get better for about a week after....

Then it all started back up again.... I noticed a VERYYY CLEAR set of red bumps below my belly button after working out and rushed to my doctor. He told me he was 100% sure it wasnít herpes or STI but looked like a bacterial infectious and gave me meds. The spots disappeared within two days but then another red spot seemed to appear in the pubic area and the meds didnít work.

All of these spots painless however I do notice tingling often in my pubic area especially when I get hot and sweaty.

Now I feel like I notice a little bit of redness inside the tip of my penis. At this point Idk if Iím being paranoid or if this is never ending herpes.

To note the first time symptoms lasted for about a month.

Seemed to be better for 4-5 days then it started again and now itís been another 2 weeks and I just started noticing this irritation on my penis tip 5 days ago.

Does this seem like herpes? Something else? Are my doctors right that itís extrenelt unlikely to be genital hsv1 since Iíve had oral hsv1 since a kid. Iíve had a FULL std panel done and everything was negative except for hsv1.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2018, 03:23 AM   #2
    JohnID
    (male)

JohnID HB User
    Re: Convinced I have genital HSV1... everyone says I donít

Also forgot to mention....

1.) the rash type feeling/irritation is absolutely more noticeable whenever I get hot and seems to go away when Iím colder.

2.) the irritation on the tip of my penis is almost constant, there is absolutely no pain when I urinate.

3.) I also asked for advice from a very recomended NP on West over clinic forum and she was convinced this was nothing.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you

Old 08-06-2018, 03:25 AM   #3
    JohnID
    (male)

JohnID HB User

Last thing I wanted to mention as well is I feel itís odd this has been going on so long. In total itís been about 2 months now and if itís hsv1 genitally wouldnít it be more Likely to break out on my lip since I know I have it orally? Does that minimize the likelihood itís genital hsv1?.

As mentioned I had full std tests and came back positive solely for hsv1 which I know Iíve had since I was five and get a yearly cold sore on the same spot on my lip.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

John, I think that what goes away when cold is most likely just a heat rash.

I wonder why you are dwelling on this? You already know you are a carrier of Herpes. The lip sore is Hsv1
    When Herpes breaks out on the mouth it is called type 1. If you get a sore on or near your genitals that is just like the one on your lip, that is Herpes 2. They are both Herpes.

Read the official information about Herpes here,
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/genital-herpes/symptoms-causes/syc-20356161

What you described on the genitals and other areas is not like Herpes 1 or 2. It is likely heat rash. Some people just have hot moist skin that itches and somewhat burns and is uncomfortable. Try to keep your skin dry by avoiding extreme heat, wearing boxer underwear & loose pants; some people use baby powder to help keep the skin dry. Change underwear and pants when they get damp from sweat.

Last edited by yayagirl; 08-06-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:23 PM   #5
    JohnID
    (male)

JohnID HB User

I donít think what youíre saying is 100% true. Just because herpes would be in the genitals doesnít mean itís HSV2. HSV1 can be on the genitals as well.

It just freaks me out as now today I have more red spots in my pubic area. No puss or liquid or anything but I feel like itís constantly irritated and new spots appear each week it seems

Old 08-06-2018, 07:05 PM   #6
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear John,

What I am really saying is what difference does it make?
    Herpes is still Herpes. Treatment is still the same.

If you think you have genital herpes of either type go to a doctor and find out so you can relax. Your anxiety doesn't help the healing process.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:35 AM   #7
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Convinced I have genital HSV1 ... everyone says I donít

John, you cannot get HSV1 on your genitals, when it is there, it is HSV2. It is the exact same virus; however, depending on where it is found on the body, it has different names.
    A blood test would let you know if you have HSV2; and what you are describing does not sound like herpes in your genital area. Herpes, especially the first outbreak in the genital area is incredibly painful....does not present like a rash, but like blisters. They are fluid filled, but not *****- more like water filled. They hurt. Badly. You would not be affected by cold - and you would definitely see something which would be concerning enough to take you to the doctors if you had an outbreak.

That being said, if you gave your wife HSV2- and you had sex with her during an outbreak or when the virus was shedding, YES, you could get it. Just like she got it from oral- she can then pass it along to you sexually...the good news is that your doctors are right that your immune system has been fighting this virus for so long, your chances are lower of getting it; the chances do exist, but not as high as for someone who has never been exposed to the virus.

Stop worrying. I assume you are in a monogamous relationship and the two of you can live with this forever! You just need to be open and honest about any potential outbreaks that either of you have so you know to avoid sex until it clears up. Good luck...but stop worrying- it will not do you any good.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    yayagirl (08-07-2018)
    Reply Reply