It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Could herpes symptoms show up the day after getting infected?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-05-2020, 01:28 AM   #1
    vital2
    (male)

vital2 HB User
    Could herpes symptoms show up the day after getting infected?

Im 40 male and had protected vaginal sex but unprotected oral sex with a new partner a few days ago. I started feeling a tingling feeling next day in my groin lymph node area and the day after it started hurting. I had trouble sleeping for two days and then noticed pimple like bumps on my lower back. The next day the bumps started spreading to my buttocks. Went to see a doctor and he said it doesn’t really look like herpes and could be shingles. He performed a scrap test but could not get much skin sample for the test since the bumps were small and weren’t lesions with fluid. He also prescribed Valtrax which would help with the outbreak if it’s shingles or herpes. So while I wait for the test results which could come back inconclusive since lack of sample, I was wondering are my symptoms more related to herpes or shingles? Should I also request a full std blood test to be safe?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2020, 10:47 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Could herpes symptoms show up the day after getting infected?

Shingles is a type of herpes virus...it seems to be shingles considering how it's spread. It would have been in motion before this encounter, however.

You're meaning HSV I or II.
    Wont hurt for you to get a full test...and if anything is amiss, that partner should be notified and tested as well.

However, if you do have shingles and your partner has never had Chicken Pox or the HZV vaccine, she could contract Chicken Pox. So let her know about that as well.

Keep us updated on how you're doing.

q

Old 03-07-2020, 02:52 AM   #3
    vital2
    (male)

vital2 HB User

The more I look at online photos and compare them to the bumpy rash on my back Iím more convinced itís shingles. Iím feeling random tingling sensations, aches, and nerve twitches on my body. The rash has spread a bit more but itís just pink bumpy spots and not the red and white discharge I see of HSV-2 photos . My groin doesnít hurt as much anymore but it still aches and disturbs my sleep. The bumps can also get itchy when I rub it against my clothes in bed. I canít do anything this weekend but suffer and wait for my lab results in early next week.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

If you're in pain, gabapentin is the usual med for that...if you need when you talk with the doctor.
    Please do a search on what not to do when you have shingles.

It's good you're on the antiviral. Keep in mind that after 6 months once the virus has completely cleared...request the Shingrix vaccine. Suggest it to others over the age of 50

Keep us updated on the results.
    Take good care,
    q

Old 03-10-2020, 07:56 PM   #5
    vital2
    (male)

vital2 HB User

Test results came in yesterday and doctor confirmed itís shingles. One more day of medication and the symptoms have lessened but still feeling aches around the body. Overall doing a lot better now.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:17 PM   #6
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hope each day has you feeling better.
    q

Reply Reply