It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• 80 percent has Herpes???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2004, 01:04 AM   #1
    Anotherplanet

Anotherplanet HB User
    80 percent has Herpes???

I read a few random statistics that pointed to the direction that "80 percent of the American population has antibodies for HSV-1." Now, they're mainly referring to cold sores I believe, which I suffer from on my mouth every now and then. Does this mean that if everyone took a blood test for Herpes, that 80% would turn up positive? Or does this mean that 80 percent have been exposed to HSV-1 and either contracted it with/without symptoms, or have become immune to it? (and not necessarily show up on a blood test?)

I rarely get sores on my mouth, so if I get a blood test without one will it display the correct result?

These questions have been burning in my mind, thanks for any comments/responses you may have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 05:00 AM   #2
    devastated
    Senior Veteran

devastated HB User
    Re: 80 percent has Herpes???

Out of everyone who takes a test for HSV1, the average is around 80% who will test positive. If you test positive, you have the virus, whether you get symptoms or not. If you have had coldsores, yes, you will test positive.

Old 01-20-2004, 04:49 PM   #3
    Moonunit

Moonunit HB User
    Re: 80 percent has Herpes???

I truly hope you're aware that if you get cold sores (i.e. herpes) on your mouth that you can pass them not only to your partner's mouth, but to their genitals as well. Its how I contracted herpes and you can pass it along just as easy.

Closed Thread