It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• contagious sores or everything?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2004, 01:05 PM   #1
    serialnovelist
    Inactive

serialnovelist HB User
    contagious sores or everything?

this may be a really stupid question, butmy girlfriend and i were discussing alternatives to sex because of outbreaks and viral shedding which i don't know a whole lot about the viral shedding thing.

but it's my understanding that only the sores are contagious and your not contagious if your not having an outbreak or beginning one or just getting over one.

She's worried about getting it elsewhere on her, other than where we both have it. I assume that bodily fluids are not contagious ?

we're both planning on using protection of course even with each other, we don't want to get this any worse than we already have it, if that's possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2004, 05:58 AM   #2
    earthchick

earthchick HB User
    Re: contagious sores or everything?

My gyno said that you can't reinfect each other with the same virus, that being said, i've also read that you can spread the same virus to un infected areas. like from the genitals to the mouth. Read the message baord some more ,I read that somewhere on here though I can't remember excactly which message. it's best to use protection, though it's not 100%, my boyfriend and i used protection and we still have it.

Old 01-29-2004, 03:37 PM   #3
    backpacker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

You can't get the virus new all over again, but you can get it in a different place, which to us is pretty much the same thing. So it pays to be careful.

The viral shedding is something that happens very infrequently and supposedly without symptoms. But my soulmate and I (I have it genitally; he doesn't at all) have never given up oral sex and we only use condoms for birth control. We don't have sex during ob's (although I will do stuff to him) ever, and he always, always washes up immediately after any kind of sex where he touched my genitals. During ob's we do other loving and close things together.

I wouldn't suggest relying on condoms to protect you during ob's, not after reading how many people have gotten it when they thought they were protected.

Serialnovelist, nothing is a stupid question here!

Old 01-29-2004, 03:46 PM   #4
    serialnovelist
    Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backpacker
    You can't get the virus new all over again,
    Serialnovelist, nothing is a stupid question here!
    Well her and both have it genitally and i was trying to be as tactful as i could with my post

my concern was if we're both not broken out and feeling okay and umm my ummm fluid gets on her body elswhere, that she can't breakout somewhere else...

my doctor mentioned something about building up antibodies and once you do it's almost impossible to infect yourself or your partner elsewhere where they don't have it. I know it's possible to spread it from the genital to the oral area but if i'm not mistaken you can't get it anywhere other than those two places ? and it's the sores not things like semen or vaginal fluid that are contagious, logically if that were the case then you'd be contagious all the time? lol is anyone getting the jist of what i'm trying to ask here ?

Old 01-29-2004, 06:17 PM   #5
    Ornament
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ornament HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by serialnovelist
    Well her and both have it genitally and i was trying to be as tactful as i could with my post

my concern was if we're both not broken out and feeling okay and umm my ummm fluid gets on her body elswhere, that she can't breakout somewhere else...

my doctor mentioned something about building up antibodies and once you do it's almost impossible to infect yourself or your partner elsewhere where they don't have it. I know it's possible to spread it from the genital to the oral area but if i'm not mistaken you can't get it anywhere other than those two places ? and it's the sores not things like semen or vaginal fluid that are contagious, logically if that were the case then you'd be contagious all the time? lol is anyone getting the jist of what i'm trying to ask here ?
    Hey Serial....

Ok, I'm stupid, nah not really....but, what is the jist of it????? Are you talking other [I]cavernous places.....Hmmmm, need more info., to better understand.....-Orn.[I]

Old 01-29-2004, 08:49 PM   #6
    What4

What4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by serialnovelist

{"I know it's possible to spread it from the genital to the oral area but if i'm not mistaken you can't get it anywhere other than those two places ?"} >>>YOU ARE WRONG! Be carefull... You can spread it anywhere on your body fingers, hand, arm, leg, ears, etc... AND YOU DON'T WANT TO GET IT IN YOUR EYES! Its simple on how not to spread it... Don't touch the sores and if you do wash your hands.

{"and it's the sores not things like semen or vaginal fluid that are contagious"} Your are correct with this statement but dont forget that it can also be contagious when its shedding.

good luck

Old 01-30-2004, 12:44 AM   #7
    serialnovelist
    Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ornament
    Hmmmm, need more info., to better understand.....-Orn.[I]
    Orn,

Was just wondering if it's not in the shedding or outbreak stage, then i can't spread to my partners other body parts like say her breasts lol or leg or other body parts where an ejaculation (medical term) might occur lol.

that's the jist of it.

it's my understanding your only contagious during the outbreak and shedding phase.

We'd had sex many times before she broke out and it was only her not knowing she had it and being at the beginning of an OB that i ended up with it. I'm also wondering how soon after the Ob's clear up that her and i can have sex again?

Since we both have it and we're monogomous we're not worried about passin it to each other, except getting it orally. I'm also wondering how when it'll be safe to possibly go down on her without getting it orally. I don't know much aboutthe viral shedding stage, is that after or before an outbreak or can it occur at anytime?

Id' hate for us to break up and then pass it on to someone who doesn't have it by going down on her.

Last edited by serialnovelist; 01-30-2004 at 02:20 AM.

Old 01-30-2004, 05:30 AM   #8
    Nonexist
    (male)

Nonexist HB User

I've read a few conflicting things on this subject. My doctor said there's no risk whatsoever because we both already had it genitally and you can't get it again. He didn't even mention that we could get it orally, just gave me a green light for everything since we both had it genitally. I know now that he was totally wrong.

I've read that the virus is not inherently present in semen or vaginal fluid, but that since your body fluids touch your skin, they will pick up any virus that is on the skin during symptomatic or asymptomatic shedding.

It would be so nice if there was even one small window of "opportunity" when we could know for sure that certain sex acts were 100% risk free. But, any and all contact has some degree of risk at every second of every day, and you gotta decide what's comfortable. There's no easy answer because so little is known for sure. When your OBs settle into a more predictable pattern, and you begin to recognize the more subtle signs of an impending OB, you will get a "feel" for when is the least risky time. It's something you have to discuss with your partner to figure out what level of risk your both comfortable with. Unfortunately, I think that's the best we can do.

Good luck,

Nonexist

Old 01-30-2004, 06:30 PM   #9
    backpacker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

You should wait at the very least an extra day after all signs of the ob have disappeared to be sure you are not contagious. This formula has worked for me so far. As I said, my soulmate washes after each contact, since we don't know when the shedding occurs.

By the way, I have read of some women who have it on their breasts. But that area is easy to wash! Just don't take too long.

Old 01-31-2004, 06:11 PM   #10
    serialnovelist
    Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

Thank for the info, this outbreak is taking forever "it seems" to go away. It was never even painful, just itched like crazy, unfotunetly i've got all the "other" symptoms that go along with it, the muscle pain, the aches, the tenderness, feeling run down, skin hurts in areas not even near the breakout. I'll be happy when it's over and hopefully doesn't break out again for a nice long time. I like your idea about washing up right afterward, that could be romantic for two in the shower or bath..

Closed Thread