It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• ? Help! Pregnant and confused/scared!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2004, 02:32 PM   #1
    fauziebear

fauziebear HB User
    Exclamation ? Help! Pregnant and confused/scared!

I am 16 weeks pregnant. I went into the doctor last Friday because of sore on lip, very sore gland on left side of neck and sore neck muscles. The doc tested to see if I have herpes zoster (shingles) or herpes simplex (cold sore). Yesterday, which was Monday, I found out I have herpes simplex. I am now having blood tested to see if I have immunity to this already. I have never had one of these cold sore in my life, that I can remember. The thing is wretched and got horribly swollen. Anyway, the doc says that if I have never had this before and this is my primary outbreak then this can cause problems for the baby. If I have immunity then everything will be fine. My doc won't discuss with me what the problems (said they are numerous and deal with deformities-but didn't get specific) could be until the test results come back. I have scoured the internet about this and found nothing. All the results relate to genital herpes. And from what I have read even if you contract genital herpes in second trimester there usually isn't a problem until delivery, which can be avoided by different means. (I did find out that you don't want to kiss a newborn if you have a sore on your lip cuz baby could get very sick.) I find out Friday what the results are, but would like to have a head's up on what could happen if I don't have immunity. Has anyone had experience with this while pregnant? I have never had an outbreak of sores on genitals. Should I be tested for gential herpes, too??? I am very confused and scared. The doc made it sound like the baby will be deformed. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2004, 12:19 PM   #2
    movingrightalong
    Veteran
    (female)

movingrightalong HB User
    Re: ? Help! Pregnant and confused/scared!

Hi there,
    Sorry you're having to deal with this when all you should have to do is be excited about your baby!
    I've never had a baby, but a wonderful woman who posts as Backpacker will hopefully pipe in with her first-hand experience at some point.
    From what I understand, if you have the antibodies already, you will pass them on to your baby. This is most important, i believe, if the baby is exposed to Herpes as an infant. This is very important in relation to genital herpes becuase sometimes a baby will be exposed on it's way out of the canal (often times a c section is preformed so as to avoid this) and if the mother had her primary late in the pregnancy she hasn't built up enough antibodies and they haven't been passed on to the baby.
    It is my understanding that your new coldsore shouldn't have an effect on your baby. Good lord, I don't think that it's going to make your baby deformed. Shame on your doctor for making you worry like this.
    Some women experience increased outbreaks during pregnancy, as I understand it, because of the hormone fluctuations and also becuase the immune system lowers so as not reject the baby. (I could be way off base here, some correct me if I'm wrong), so there's a good chance that you had Herpes lying dormant in your system and something about the hormones, the pregnancy etc caused it to rear it's ugly little head. Hopefully it won't reoccur much,but if it does just be very careful to wash up and never let it come in contact with the baby.... this is more likely where problems arise.
    Back to backpacker, she had her primary--genital-- during her 3rd pregnancy and delivered a bouncing baby boy and went along to have another child after that. (correct me if I'm wrong BP.).
    Good luck, let us know what your doc says!

Old 02-05-2004, 11:49 AM   #3
    fauziebear

fauziebear HB User

Thank you for your reply! I did talk to someone at the hospital (lab tech) that said that it's common to 'carry' HSV but not have an outbreak until years later, like you were saying. I appreciate the reassuring words. I couldn't really see how the cold sore would affect the baby either. Anyway, I go back to the doc tomorrow to see that she has to say. Thanks again!

Old 02-06-2004, 04:17 PM   #4
    backpacker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

Just got my first chance in a while to come here--because my NOT-deformed boy turned 14 yesterday. mra is exactly right, I had my primary (big, itchy, and long-lasting) ob at 8 1/2 months and had to have a Caesarean because it hadn't healed when I went into labor. Nobody scared me with horror stories. And my baby was fine; so was the next one (my last.) I don't know if it's a possible problem, but I've known other women who had their primaries during pregnancy, and all the babies have been fine.

You will want to be careful about kissing your baby, especially during the newborn months, but also anytime you feel weird, are under stress, or are tired or sick. Try to be aware of what your body is going through, how it feels. A lot of times the harbinger of my ob's is an inexplicable feeling of fatigue. If you forget and kiss your baby when you think you might be contagious, wash the baby's face (or hand, or whatever you kissed.) I use Neutrogena, not a true drying, hard-on-your-skin soap, but a great germ-killer. Good luck! Keep telling us how it goes!

Closed Thread