It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Medical "experts" your opinion on HSV lifespan

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2004, 07:33 AM   #1
    justnotfair
    (female)

justnotfair HB User
    Medical "experts" your opinion on HSV lifespan

I was curious if there were studies that existed proving the lifelong existence of hsv being active. I can understand one being infected having the antibodies to the virus forever but if they cannot find a "cure" it makes it harder to believe they can diagnosis that a carrier will shed forever. Some of the rarist diseases have been cured or overcome, yet this skin disease is just the unexplainable complex. I seriously believe the lack of advancements in hsv studies is due to the LARGE sums of income for these prescription companies.

In general, what are your thoughts on the life of hsv? Do you think is curable? eventually becomes inactive? similar to the patterns of the cold virus? etc?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
    veryworriedguy

veryworriedguy HB User
    Re: Medical "experts" your opinion on HSV lifespan

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justnotfair
    I was curious if there were studies that existed proving the lifelong existence of hsv being active. I can understand one being infected having the antibodies to the virus forever but if they cannot find a "cure" it makes it harder to believe they can diagnosis that a carrier will shed forever. Some of the rarist diseases have been cured or overcome, yet this skin disease is just the unexplainable complex. I seriously believe the lack of advancements in hsv studies is due to the LARGE sums of income for these prescription companies.

In general, what are your thoughts on the life of hsv? Do you think is curable? eventually becomes inactive? similar to the patterns of the cold virus? etc?
    You find people posting on here who have had HSV for 20 years and STILL get monthly outbreaks. So to answer your question, no, it does not just "dissappear" eventually.

No, Herpes is not curable and it probably won't be in our lifetime. It is not because of some big conspiracy by the drug companies. The virus enters the nerve ganglion and rewrites your DNA there to permanently set-up a "Herpes factory" (so to speak) at the nerve site. So until the drug companies can find a way to alter living human DNA (not likely in our lifetime)...this thing won't be completely curable. When they say Herpes is for life...they aren't lying.

Old 02-25-2004, 05:51 PM   #3
    justnotfair
    (female)

justnotfair HB User

I see your point but most studies are tailored to those infected that are still suffer from the ailment seriously. I do think any reseacher has actively gone to study of those infected is there the possibility for the virus to remain dorment or inactive. HSV will not disappear like any other virus but the idea that is active forever, I find to be a long stretch and not true in ever case.

Old 02-25-2004, 06:01 PM   #4
    ly_b

ly_b HB User

Quote:
    I see your point but most studies are tailored to those infected that are still suffer from the ailment seriously. I do think any reseacher has actively gone to study of those infected is there the possibility for the virus to remain dorment or inactive. HSV will not disappear like any other virus but the idea that is active forever, I find to be a long stretch and not true in ever case.
    I agree that there should be a drug which whilst it cannot cure you - no virus can be cured - should be able to limit outbreaks to few, if any, and also reduce asymptomatic shedding even more than Valtrex. The reason I don't totally buy into this idea re drug companies is if there was a more effective drug that left you outbreak-free and virtually non-contagious - though the virus technically remained in your system, all its punch was removed - well people would pay HUUUUUGE bucks for that, wouldn't they? (I would).

Old 02-25-2004, 09:14 PM   #5
    justnotfair
    (female)

justnotfair HB User

There is more money in continual dosages than a lump-sum dosage. Let me clarify in saying that I'm not saying drug are completly preventing the advancement of it. But in combination of the possibility of lifelong dependency on drugs and mixing in that H is not life-threatening unless coupled with HIV/AIDS etc... I feel in general the need to find a cure or more effective drug is far less concern because of being a mere skin disease/virus and in addition to a more profitable dependency on the Valtrex's of the world.

In general, I do not feel there adequate studies in the field because of the biggest ailment in H is the mental/emotional anguish in most people's case as opposed to physical. You couple that with the fact H can go undetected, it even increases the reasons to be settled for with a perscription of drugs.

All IMHO

Old 02-26-2004, 12:53 AM   #6
    sunshineahead
    Inactive

sunshineahead HB User

You're right that it benefits drug manufacturers to have a lifetime of drugs to sell vs a short span of them. However, I don't think there is a big conspiracy when it comes to the medical community finding a cure--if so, why would all of these Herpes vaccines be in the process of being actively studied then (i.e.--herpevac, I am in this study)? There are also studies for current sufferers of herpes. Viruses evade medecine that's why we can't even cure the common cold...plus there's also HPV and then HIV. We don't see any cures for these either.......

Quote:
    There is more money in continual dosages than a lump-sum dosage. Let me clarify in saying that I'm not saying drug are completly preventing the advancement of it. But in combination of the possibility of lifelong dependency on drugs and mixing in that H is not life-threatening unless coupled with HIV/AIDS etc... I feel in general the need to find a cure or more effective drug is far less concern because of being a mere skin disease/virus and in addition to a more profitable dependency on the Valtrex's of the world.

In general, I do not feel there adequate studies in the field because of the biggest ailment in H is the mental/emotional anguish in most people's case as opposed to physical. You couple that with the fact H can go undetected, it even increases the reasons to be settled for with a perscription of drugs.

All IMHO

Old 02-26-2004, 11:27 AM   #7
    Nonexist
    (male)

Nonexist HB User

The undisputable fact is that the statement ďthere is no cure for herpesĒ can only be an opinion, because such a statement cannot be proven. It is impossible to prove whether those who never get an OB (or stop getting them) have the virus in their nerve ganglion. This is because the only way to detect it is the way they do it in trials with rats, remove the ganglion and grind it up, and sift through it with a microscope Ė so the animal has to be dead. A huge problem with animal testing is that HSV acts very different in humans. There have been several vaccines that have cured rats in animal trials and then failed in the human trials, so itís not like itís impossible to clear the virus from the nerves.
    You want to know the reason why there are so many pharmaceutical companies trying for a cure? Itís because Glaxo SmithKline has almost a monopoly on the suppressive treatment market, they hold the patents to 2 FDA approved herpes drugs (the patent for the other, acyclovir, was held by them also, but it ran out. Itís generic now.) and take in about $1,500,000,000.00 annually from herpes drugs alone. The only way for other companies to make any money off of the HSV epidemic is to create a cure or a better suppressive with un-patented technology. I think they do have cures that the FDA will not approve because a threat to GSKs profit margin is a threat to FDAís own funding. People donít think that corporations are really that powerful, and if people donít smarten up, we will suffer dearly for it.

I believe that a healthy body can rid itself of the virus over time. When people hear ďcureĒ, they think of a pill or injection, 7 days and your done, or whatever. Itís more realistic to think that maybe the body eliminates the virus very slowly, over months or years, and then only if the body is extremely healthy, like maybe 1% or less of the population. Thatís speculation, but I do know human beings have barely even scratched the surface of what our brains can do.

Nonexist

Old 02-26-2004, 11:41 AM   #8
    sunshineahead
    Inactive

sunshineahead HB User

I think you make alot of good points but it is dangerous to say you think the healthy body "rids itself of the virus over time." We don't want to start saying things that will lead people to not act responsibly. Once you are infected, you can infect others......

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nonexist
    The undisputable fact is that the statement ďthere is no cure for herpesĒ can only be an opinion, because such a statement cannot be proven. It is impossible to prove whether those who never get an OB (or stop getting them) have the virus in their nerve ganglion. This is because the only way to detect it is the way they do it in trials with rats, remove the ganglion and grind it up, and sift through it with a microscope Ė so the animal has to be dead. A huge problem with animal testing is that HSV acts very different in humans. There have been several vaccines that have cured rats in animal trials and then failed in the human trials, so itís not like itís impossible to clear the virus from the nerves.
    You want to know the reason why there are so many pharmaceutical companies trying for a cure? Itís because Glaxo SmithKline has almost a monopoly on the suppressive treatment market, they hold the patents to 2 FDA approved herpes drugs (the patent for the other, acyclovir, was held by them also, but it ran out. Itís generic now.) and take in about $1,500,000,000.00 annually from herpes drugs alone. The only way for other companies to make any money off of the HSV epidemic is to create a cure or a better suppressive with un-patented technology. I think they do have cures that the FDA will not approve because a threat to GSKs profit margin is a threat to FDAís own funding. People donít think that corporations are really that powerful, and if people donít smarten up, we will suffer dearly for it.

I believe that a healthy body can rid itself of the virus over time. When people hear ďcureĒ, they think of a pill or injection, 7 days and your done, or whatever. Itís more realistic to think that maybe the body eliminates the virus very slowly, over months or years, and then only if the body is extremely healthy, like maybe 1% or less of the population. Thatís speculation, but I do know human beings have barely even scratched the surface of what our brains can do.

Nonexist

Old 02-26-2004, 01:37 PM   #9
    justnotfair
    (female)

justnotfair HB User

If we are continually undereducated about the disease it will only create to sets of people: 1. Those scared to live a normal life because they a walking, living, breathing character at any moment ready to pass diseases or 2. Those so frustrated they simply "ignore" the rules

What can be move devestating than the attack of HIV on the body yet through rigourous trials we see someone like Magic Johnson who eventually becomes HIV -. Then these people want to look in millions of people faces with herpes and say your only option for this skin disease is Valtrex (or off brands) and you can spread forever and ever.

I'm sorry just not sold. I hope more of these companies are successful to get procedures to better treat the virus in the long term. However, actually getting the FDA approval as Nonexist mention will be likely the greater challenge than finding a sucessful treatment.

Old 02-26-2004, 02:33 PM   #10
    chris09977

chris09977 HB User

Hello everyone,

I'll try this again... lol... last time I posted a few weeks ago following nonexists lead on alternative health and treatment, the post mysteriously dissappeared a day later (no rules were broken that I know of).

I really just wanted to chime in and say that I could not agree more with everything nonexist has posted in this thread and in the past. We both share very similar views about modern medicine, drug companies, herpes and 'alternative' treatments. We have also both had the glory of knowing what it's like to have those 'treatments' work unbelievably well for us; however, I always believed they would work and had faith from the beginning. Having herpes has never been an issue for me. For those that have read my posts in the past, you know how I feel and what I've been through. I too believe the human body is far, far more capable than most people give it credit for.

In the end, do what you think is right for you, emotionally and physically. I'm going to leave this post as is since I'm sure it will probably be taken down like the rest of them.... *shrugs*. Good luck.

Chris

Old 02-26-2004, 04:37 PM   #11
    movingrightalong
    Veteran
    (female)

movingrightalong HB User

"I too believe the human body is far, far more capable than most people give it credit for"

I'll third that one, Nonexist and Chris.

MRA

Last edited by movingrightalong; 02-26-2004 at 04:37 PM.

Old 02-26-2004, 09:20 PM   #12
    What4

What4 HB User

Come on people...Elvis is dead and there is not a secret cure for herpes! Do the math. The first drug company that comes up with a cure and sells it for, lets say $100.00 a shot. Now, add that to the millions of millions of people around the world that has herpes and wants the cure. Thats a lot of money. Also, the FDA has nothing to do with drug companies out of the US. Where are thier cures? so lets not blame it on the FDA. I believe that there will be a cure, however I pray that it will be available in our lifetime.

Old 02-26-2004, 10:22 PM   #13
    chris09977

chris09977 HB User

Hello,

Well, I'm not going to argue with you... you have your views and I have mine. As I already stated, do what feels right for you.

But - consider this in regards to your 'cure' theory... (remember drug companies make drugs for PROFIT, not well-being, biz's bottom line). What do you think is more profitable?:

A. A 'one-time' shot/cure for, hmmm, say even $1000.00 x let's say for simplicity 10 million people. That equals revenue of $10,000,000,000.00 TOTAL.

OR

B. Treatment (valtrex for example) @ $190/bottle for one month (yes it costs that much without insurance, and even if you have insurance they still have to pay something for it so you can have it... so consider your monthly insurance your payment if you will.. whatever, doesn't matter here). Now, we'll take those same 10 million people x $2280/YEAR for 'treatment'. Average person gets it when they're 30 (as example here) and takes treatment pills for even just 10 years.... That gives revenues of $22,800,000,000.00 for just ONE year... now multiply that x 10 years and you get $228,000,000,000.00.

So, hypothetically speaking with a cure they get 10 billion in revunue TOTAL... with treatment for those same people they stand to make 228 billion IN JUST 10 YEARS. Also, with a cure, those cured can't infect anyone else knowningly or unknowingly so their future customer base would contract exponentially as well... with treatment, new people will continue to be infected daily so their customer base is always expanding expontentially (ie:they WILL always have more customers!).

So, morals aside, if you're the CEO of that company and your agenda is profit, exactly how likely is it that they would really want to find a cure? It just doesn't make good business sense for them... Also, to what extent do you think a big company would go to in order to keep that kind of market share to themselves....

'Nuff said.

Chris

Quote:
    Originally Posted by What4
    Come on people...Elvis is dead and there is not a secret cure for herpes! Do the math. The first drug company that comes up with a cure and sells it for, lets say $100.00 a shot. Now, add that to the millions of millions of people around the world that has herpes and wants the cure. Thats a lot of money. Also, the FDA has nothing to do with drug companies out of the US. Where are thier cures? so lets not blame it on the FDA. I believe that there will be a cure, however I pray that it will be available in our lifetime.

Old 02-27-2004, 03:32 AM   #14
    BurnedByAnAngel
    (male)

BurnedByAnAngel HB User

For what its worth, which Im sure is not much, Id have to agree with you on the math and the "conspiracy theory" but then again im one of those type of guys...Even before i was afflicted with this particular virus i always figured it would be A LOT more profitable to draw out a "treatment" than it would EVER be to come up with a cure, because as you've said a cure would only be one lump sum of profits...As well as destroying the market for new buyers, what intelligent CEO would do THAT?!? If I was a business man, I wouldnt even do that AND I GOT THE VIRUS!!! Money talks, and a lot of money YELLS...So as much as i hate the concept, i understand the thinking behind it because if money makes the world go round then Herpes and AIDS "treatments" must be spinning it...

Quote:

Old 02-27-2004, 07:39 AM   #15
    What4

What4 HB User

That would be a good theory if their was only one drug company out there that owns the market. But there is not only one, there are tons of drug companies just in the US with CEO's that would love to be the owner of "the herpes cure". There is only one company that owns valtrex and that is rakeing in the buck from it. so when the company that owns "the herpe cure" put it on the market the revenues of $22,800,000,000.00 for valtrex turns into a big fat O... What CEO is the better business person now? Do the math...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris09977
    Hello,

Well, I'm not going to argue with you... you have your views and I have mine. As I already stated, do what feels right for you.

But - consider this in regards to your 'cure' theory... (remember drug companies make drugs for PROFIT, not well-being, biz's bottom line). What do you think is more profitable?:

A. A 'one-time' shot/cure for, hmmm, say even $1000.00 x let's say for simplicity 10 million people. That equals revenue of $10,000,000,000.00 TOTAL.

OR

B. Treatment (valtrex for example) @ $190/bottle for one month (yes it costs that much without insurance, and even if you have insurance they still have to pay something for it so you can have it... so consider your monthly insurance your payment if you will.. whatever, doesn't matter here). Now, we'll take those same 10 million people x $2280/YEAR for 'treatment'. Average person gets it when they're 30 (as example here) and takes treatment pills for even just 10 years.... That gives revenues of $22,800,000,000.00 for just ONE year... now multiply that x 10 years and you get $228,000,000,000.00.

So, hypothetically speaking with a cure they get 10 billion in revunue TOTAL... with treatment for those same people they stand to make 228 billion IN JUST 10 YEARS. Also, with a cure, those cured can't infect anyone else knowningly or unknowingly so their future customer base would contract exponentially as well... with treatment, new people will continue to be infected daily so their customer base is always expanding expontentially (ie:they WILL always have more customers!).

So, morals aside, if you're the CEO of that company and your agenda is profit, exactly how likely is it that they would really want to find a cure? It just doesn't make good business sense for them... Also, to what extent do you think a big company would go to in order to keep that kind of market share to themselves....

'Nuff said.

Chris

Last edited by What4; 02-27-2004 at 07:41 AM.

Closed Thread