It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Question about pap

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2004, 02:26 PM   #1
    malibubarbie33

malibubarbie33 HB User
    Question about pap

When you go and get a pap...can you get a check for every little thing down there...I mean everything....and if you can how much do you think that it would cost? And does anybody have any suggestions on were to go like should i go to my doctor or like a planned parenthood place. I have money so its really not a problem but which do you think would be more better. THanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 03:22 PM   #2
    movingrightalong
    Veteran
    (female)

movingrightalong HB User
    Re: Question about pap

A standard pap usually checks for chlamydia, ghonnorhea and abnormal cells (often due to HPV). Technically i'm sure that they could use the swab to test for much more, but they don't. I'm not sure what else you wanted to be tested for... maybe HIV and HSV? I'm guessing that if this were a good or standard way to do this, then they would do it. That's my best guess, maybe someone else knows more...
    good luck!
    mra
    Also... I have found that the quality of care I've received at Planned Parenthood has been as good if not better than my regular gyno that I was paying an arm and a leg for.

Old 03-26-2004, 03:35 AM   #3
    chicken1

chicken1 HB User

my last planned parenthood visit was a nightmare but in the past, i had nothing bad to say about them...the last visit was like going to a factory....i'd say the best reason for seeing your own gyno is that you can have a relationship with him/her and they can know you, your past, future, etc...and keep tabs on you..you never know if you'll see your nurse practicioner again at PP......also, you need to ask for every test you want, BY NAME...get a rundown of every std possible and go to the doc with that and SAY you want all of them....otherwise they just check for gohnorreah.

Old 03-26-2004, 05:17 AM   #4
    devastated
    Senior Veteran

devastated HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by movingrightalong
    A standard pap usually checks for chlamydia, ghonnorhea and abnormal cells (often due to HPV).

A PAP does NOT check for chlamydia or ghonnorhea. Some doctors do go ahead and do a swab test for those STD's during routine PAP's, but most doctors do not do this (in my opinion, they all should though). A PAP only checks for abnormal cells of the cervix, and it is very possible to have chlamydia, ghonnorhea, and other STD's for years while still having normal PAP's.

Old 03-26-2004, 07:03 AM   #5
    movingrightalong
    Veteran
    (female)

movingrightalong HB User

Oops, my bad. That's the impressions that I have always gotten, both at PP and my gyno... I guess i should look into that one! I think I've gotten lucky with planned parenthood, I have always seen the same person and I like her much better than any gynocologist I've ever had. She always gives me as much time as I need to ask questions and remembers conversations that we've had in the past. She was a midwife, but found the lifestyle a little exhausting and prefers working at PP.

Last edited by movingrightalong; 03-26-2004 at 07:12 AM.

Old 03-26-2004, 08:09 AM   #6
    malibubarbie33

malibubarbie33 HB User

So I can have something and never know about it because it wont show up in the Paps? So what do I do? That makes me scared....I dont want anything else....This is enough...What should I do? How much is it at PP?

Old 03-26-2004, 04:21 PM   #7
    movingrightalong
    Veteran
    (female)

movingrightalong HB User

Hey Malibu,
    I called Planned Parenthood today to ask about this, because I knew that the actual pap (like the Thinprep papsmear that is often used) is only for abnormal cells, but I've had them do another culture (I thought it was everytime, but I guess I'm not always paying attention) that tests for Ghonnorea and Chlamydia. The lady today said that they usually only do the pap, but you can request other tests. I'm going on the 6th of April and I'm definitely going to request all that I can.
    As far as cost at PP, they have a sliding scale depending on your income. It's usually just a donation. I actually went there for the first time becuase my Gyno was going to do a bunch of tests (I had had a few consecutive abnormal paps) and they were going to cost me like $700. My eyes started to well up becuase it was so much money and she said that I could get the tests at PP. I meant to get my tests and then go back to my Gyno, but I liked Planned Parenthood so much that I never went back to her. I just make sure and give a good donation when I go.
    Wherever you go, whether it's a Doctors office or a PP or some other clinic like that, just tell them everything that you want to be tested for and they will either do it or they'll steer you in the right direction.

Old 03-26-2004, 04:34 PM   #8
    malibubarbie33

malibubarbie33 HB User

Thanks so much that was so helpful. But what do you think I should ask for besides the ones that they already do. Like what should I ask them to check out. I dont know much about other STD's I just dont want anything else...Ya know....Can you answer my other post about oral herpes...You are just so much help and it seems I can trust you...THanks

Old 03-26-2004, 06:21 PM   #9
    movingrightalong
    Veteran
    (female)

movingrightalong HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malibubarbie33
    Thanks so much that was so helpful. But what do you think I should ask for besides the ones that they already do. Like what should I ask them to check out. I dont know much about other STD's I just dont want anything else...Ya know....Can you answer my other post about oral herpes...You are just so much help and it seems I can trust you...THanks
    The papsmear will cover the HPV. Even if you've been exposed to it at some point, the only real worry with HPV (one strain of which causes genital warts) is can cause cervical dysplasia (abnormal cell developement--detected by the pap) which can lead to cervical cancer. Only a few strains are linked to cerivical cancer (one of which I have). Often times the body will fix itself when the cells get abnormal-- Many people have an abnormal pap, but their next one will be fine with no treatment. In other cases, other steps need to be taken. HPV is very contagious. I had a good friend of mine (who's a nurse practioner) tell me that Mother Theresa probably even had it just from working with the masses. Condoms don't necessarily protect you becuase, like herpes, it's on the skin. Condoms always help some though, and they're super important for the other STDs.
    Chlamydia and Gonorrhea would be good ones to test for becuase they're very common and you can have them with no symptoms. They're bacterial (I believe) and are usually treated with antibiotics of some sort, but if left untreated can lead to pelvic inflamatory disease and possibly sterility.
    There's Syphilis --it's less common and I'm not sure how they test for it, but ask whoever you go to what the deal is on that one as far as testing.
    Also, through Planned Parenthood I did the Hepatitis B series. It's a series of 3 shots. Hep B is not specifically sex-related, it's in the blood, but I thought it would be a good vaccine to have.
    I'm not sure if I've forgotten any.... except HIV. PP tests for that through the blood (at least at the one here) and it takes like 2 weeks for the results, but I got tested at community clinic near my house through saliva (said to be equally as effective) and it took like 5 days to get the results back.
    I'm sure others will pipe in with some more info to add.
    It's good that you're trying to gather as much info as you can so that you can ask all your questions, cover all your bases and protect yourself as well as possible. Good for you!
    Take care
    mra

Old 03-27-2004, 03:39 PM   #10
    sarah1000

sarah1000 HB User

When I first got symptoms, I went to the doctor and was told that unless I had a lesion, they couldn't test for HSV2, they told to come back when I had one. I did and they tested it then. The only other test available when you don't have lesions is a blood test that can test for the anitbodies to HSV1 and 2. The only problem with that is that many people have the antibodies, but might have never had an outbreak before (or had one they noticed). So while there may be asymptomatic shedding, having the antibodies does not mean you will automatically get outbreaks.

Old 04-08-2004, 07:50 AM   #11
    anna-bananna
    Veteran
    (female)

anna-bananna HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarah1000
    When I first got symptoms, I went to the doctor and was told that unless I had a lesion, they couldn't test for HSV2, they told to come back when I had one. I did and they tested it then. The only other test available when you don't have lesions is a blood test that can test for the anitbodies to HSV1 and 2. The only problem with that is that many people have the antibodies, but might have never had an outbreak before (or had one they noticed). So while there may be asymptomatic shedding, having the antibodies does not mean you will automatically get outbreaks.
    That is exactly what happened in my case, but my question is what do you do if you don't have another outbreak, Can you ever be tested, swabbed or what ever it is that they do? I have not exactly been ofically diagonosed, but my doctor says that is what he thinks it is based on the location I have finally had an outbreak in ( nipps), along with a two week trial of Valtrex.

Closed Thread