It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

QUestion about cold sores and herpes ??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2004, 12:56 PM   #1
Thanks2Jesus
(female)

Thanks2Jesus HB User
QUestion about cold sores and herpes ??

Ok so here goes..

I always got cold sores on my mouth from like the age of 7 and up. It would always be one big cold sore in the corner of my mouth and sometimes I would go a few years without one and sometimes get them a few times a year !

I have only ever been with my husband ( sexually) and he has only been with me and he has never gotten a cold sore in his life. We have kissed when I have had cold sores as well. ( I did not know I could spread it )

How could I have gotten herpes at such a younge age and if it really is herpes why has my husband never gotten it from me ? We have been kissing for 15 years LOL !

So my question is do some people just get cold sores without having herpes ?? Can you be born with it ? Hereditary ?

I was totally scared when I read if I had a cold sore and gave my husband oral sex he could get genital herpes ??

I have gone to the drs for my cold sores and he gave me a prescription med that heals them up like in 5 days and I get one now about every 18 months if not longer. Why did my dr not warn me to not give my husband oral sex ? That seems like a pretty serious thing and I should of been warned ? I cant imagine how devistated me or my husband would be if I gave him genital herpes from giving him oral sex !

I am not sure I am buying all this ??
Can someone help me out with these questions ?
Thanks !
God Bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 01:24 PM   #2
myblusky

myblusky HB User
Re: QUestion about cold sores and herpes ??

The virus that causes cold sores is herpes. I have both herpes I & II and have never had a cold sore. I only have genital outbreaks. The virus expresses itself differently in diffent people. Some have symptoms and some don't. It probably has to do with each individual's immune system.

Yes, you can give your husband genital herpes. You are more likely to give it to him if you have oral sex when you have a cold sore so I would avoid that.

For all you know he might already be a carrier of the virus. The medical community guesses that 50-80% of the adults in America have type I herpes (the type that causes cold sores). Most of these people contract it during childhood from being kissed by relatives (remember a child's immune system hasn't fully developed so they are more likely to contract a virus). Your husband could get a blood test done if he really wants to find out if he has the herpes virus.

Yes, your doctor should have warned you. My limited experience so far has taught me the medical community isn't all that concerned with herpes since it isn't fatal (with the exception being to a newborn if the mother has genital herpes during childbirth and even this isn't always fatal).

I think you and your husband can decide together what risks you are willing to take. If he gets a blood test then you could determine if he already has the virus. If he does then you don't need to worry about giving it to him. If he doesn't have the virus then you can discuss whether or not you want to take any precautions.

Best of luck.

Old 04-20-2004, 01:26 PM   #3
movingrightalong
Veteran
(female)

movingrightalong HB User
Re: QUestion about cold sores and herpes ??

It's very common for children to have coldsores. Often they'll drink after someone or get kissed by an older relative, etc, and they will contract it. It happens all the time.
As far as your doctor not advising you on not giving oral sex to your husband, that's not such a surprise. Some doctors are awesome and informed/informative and then some are not nearly so.

Closed Thread