It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Is it condom's for life once you have GH

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2004, 06:48 PM   #1
    derri2004
    (female)

derri2004 HB User
    Question Is it condom's for life once you have GH

If I ever am serious with someone and decide to get married...will we have to use condoms for life to protect my partner whether I have an outbreak or not???

Thanks.

Last edited by derri2004; 07-30-2004 at 06:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2004, 07:22 PM   #2
    SynGirl

SynGirl HB User
    Re: Is it condom's for life once you have GH

Not nessisarily because herpes is a virus that can be spread even with the use of condoms. I was having unprotected sex with my boyfriend a few months before I had my first outbreak. My boyfriend and I have decided we will get married after we get done with college and have enough money, ect. and we made the decision after my first outbreak was over that we will continue to not use condoms since he has already been exposed to the virus through having intercourse with me. But I guess it will really be up to you and your spouse. If they are comfortable with not using condoms then you won't have to but if they aren't then you'll have to use them.

Old 07-30-2004, 11:09 PM   #3
    zorba
    (male)

zorba HB User

The primary question is "how much risk is your uninfected partner willing to take?"

If you want to minimize the chances of her contracting herpes as much as possible then I'd say always use condoms.

Of course, there is a slight chance that she could catch it even with protection, but at least you are playing the odds and keeping the risk very low.

On the other hand, having unprotected sex constantly will most likely spread the virus to her eventually.

Old 07-31-2004, 03:54 AM   #4
    derri2004
    (female)

derri2004 HB User

thanks for the replies. I was't implying to have unprotected sex at all...just that in the future if I find the right guy and want to get married...what happens at that point...because condoms suck and I never feel anything and up until now...neither does my partner...

If we both have the virus already...is it necessary to use condoms?

thanks

Last edited by derri2004; 07-31-2004 at 06:41 AM.

Old 07-31-2004, 06:34 PM   #5
    SynGirl

SynGirl HB User

No if you both have the virus and have been tested for all other STD's and HIV and you are in a monogomous relationship their is no need to use condoms. You can not "make the virus worse" when you have herpes you just have it, you can't make it worse unlike AIDS.

Old 08-01-2004, 05:12 AM   #6
    derri2004
    (female)

derri2004 HB User

I guess on the contrary, If he does not have the virus and is willing to be with me...does it depend on his immune system if he will get it or not?

Old 08-01-2004, 09:22 AM   #7
    seozvas

seozvas HB User

He will definitely get it. How easy or hard his symptoms will be (if will) and how often are OBs - that's up to his body and immune system, I guess.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-16-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Old 08-01-2004, 07:48 PM   #8
    misskris

misskris HB User

hi all ~
    I have learned on these boards that if you both have it, you can reinfect in other areas, like oral to genital, vice versa, and in other break out points in same area, depending on the broken skin at the time, etc.
    Basically it all sucks, and i'm hoping to find someone who can handle all of this for the rest of their lives with me!

Old 08-02-2004, 06:00 AM   #9
    derri2004
    (female)

derri2004 HB User

Yes. You are right you have both because the body unfortuneately is too intelligent and transfers one to the other.

Old 08-02-2004, 01:15 PM   #10
    derri2004
    (female)

derri2004 HB User

can you carry both HSV 1 and HSV 2? How do you treat the oral jenre?

I'm not sure I should see my BF...because I just found out of GH? I'm worried about even us kissing. I'm waiting for him to go to the DR. to see if has either version?

Last edited by derri2004; 08-02-2004 at 01:21 PM.

Old 08-02-2004, 05:21 PM   #11
    backpacker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

Please...there are many couples on this board who have not transferred it to the partner without herpes, and who have been living together for years. He will NOT definitely get it! You do not need to use condoms. In my opinion, condoms make it more likely that it will be passed on, because they increase the friction of intercourse, which causes more micro-tears in the sensitive skin of your genitals, and gives the virus a way into your body.

Here is what you should do if you don't want to use condoms. Never have sex if you feel the slightest symptom, or if you are inexplicably tired, or if you feel strange in any way at all. After you have sex, whether you use condoms or not, have him wash his crotch area with soap and water for over 20 seconds. Use a good lubricant during sex, condom or no, to avoid that friction (I use KY Silky--you just need a couple of drops in you and a couple rubbed onto him.) This is basically it. Make sure you don't have sexual contact right before, during or a couple days after an ob (I wait a couple days after all signs of the sore have disappeared.)

I think I'll bump up the Happy Couples" thread for you and others that haven't seen it. Please read the whole thread.

Good luck.

Old 08-02-2004, 06:55 PM   #12
    Ornament
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ornament HB User

Bravo -BP!!!!!
    I was hoping you would give your input on this thread...Both, me & thrill-guy, have GH and so far....not anywhere else (crossing or fingers)we don't use condoms and have been together about 2 yrs....We avoid sexual contact if "we" have symptons and that's about it.....I used to be paranoid, thinking I would get it everywhere...But, I think that was just a "worst fear" (picturing a walking herpetic lesion, all though I've never actually seen one) But, it's amazing what herpes can do to your mind. But, only if you let it....You have to be stronger and learn to deal with it...Because, acceptance is key!!!! It's better than trying to fight it!!!! Thanks, for letting me ramble...-Orn

Old 08-03-2004, 05:16 AM   #13
    derri2004
    (female)

derri2004 HB User

You 2 are simply the best. Thanks for the mental aspirin!!

Old 08-05-2004, 10:23 AM   #14
    serialnovelist
    Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

yep BP knows her stuff and i coudln't agree with her more...someone is not definetely gonna get it...i've got it and i've been very careful and used precautions and watched for symptoms and neither one of the wonderful ladies i was with contracted it from me.
    no broken skin, no symptoms..be careful, wash up right after...it's all good.

Old 08-05-2004, 04:27 PM   #15
    seekingnormal05

seekingnormal05 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by serialnovelist
    yep BP knows her stuff and i coudln't agree with her more...someone is not definetely gonna get it...i've got it and i've been very careful and used precautions and watched for symptoms and neither one of the wonderful ladies i was with contracted it from me.
    no broken skin, no symptoms..be careful, wash up right after...it's all good.
    So much of what you read here is confusing without details.

I thought it could lay dormant for years.

Have you been away from these ladies that long? Or have they been tested with and know for certain they are not infected?

Closed Thread