It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• cold sores VS canker sores

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2004, 09:42 AM   #1
    babydoll20
    Veteran
    (female)

babydoll20 HB User
    cold sores VS canker sores

Im a bit confused. I don't have gential herpes but havea question about contracting it.

I, occasionally, get what I think may be canker sores in my mouth. first they start out tingly, then raised and white, and finally kind of cave in intill they are healed in about a week.

is this different from a cold sore? I remember getting sores outside my mouth that were hard, and rough and cracked open when I was a kid, about 10 years ago. were these cold sores? I havent had them in a very long time, si I'ma ware I probably carry the virus, but if im not havign any outbreaks on my lip then i won't be likey to pass it on, right?

basically what I'm asking is if canker sores and cold sores are different and if cold sores have more potantial to pass on genital herpes. once again I would liek to say i DO NOT have genital herpes but don't want to end up ina situation where i could get it or give it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2004, 01:58 PM   #2
    sarah1000

sarah1000 HB User
    Re: cold sores VS canker sores

The difference between cold sore and canker sores is tough to describe over the net, but if you hit the search button in the upper right corner and search the herpes board for "canker sores" you might get some info.

Basically, cold sores are cause by a virus and can be transmitted to others, although 50-80% of the people have it by the time they are 18. Some get cold sores more often then others and some people have the virus but never get cold sores.

Canker sores are caused by irritation (toothbrush, eating a sharp tortilla chip and cutting yourself, eating too much salt, etc.) and i think it's your body's reaction to the "injury". they can't be passed from one person to the next.

Old 08-05-2004, 10:16 PM   #3
    spunkygirl

spunkygirl HB User

canker sores tend to be on the fleshy part of your mouth (inside of cheeks, opposite side from teeth) and they tend to be round although they can combine to form one irregular sore. also, the white part of canker sores usually comes off when brushing teeth or putting hydrogen peroxide on them while herpes sores the middle stays until the sore is gone
    herpes in the mouth tends to be on the gums and are usually not solo sores at any time

Old 08-20-2004, 02:04 PM   #4
    kristy lee

kristy lee HB User

cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus which is related to the virus which causes genital herpes (well, maybe they are the same virus; I'm not sure). Canker sores are different--they are always on the inside of your mouth like you described. I get them and so do a lot of people in my extended family. There's a new med out called cankermelts which I found on ****** which is supposed to be really effective.

Closed Thread