It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Cereal and a cold sore

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-14-2004, 04:34 PM   #1
    tuffy

tuffy HB User
    Cereal and a cold sore

I used to get cold sores all the time , about one every month . Then I start watching what I ate. I eat foods high in Lysine and low in Arginine.I get one a year now sometimes not even one. QUESTION : does it matter if you eat breakfast cereal ?
    It seems like the last time I ate a lot of cerael , I got a cold sore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
    backpacker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User
    Re: Cereal and a cold sore

I've never heard that cereal matters, but everyone is different. Maybe it also depends on the ingredients of the cereal.

Old 12-10-2004, 03:24 PM   #3
    beaker24
    Veteran
    (female)

beaker24 HB User

Funnily enough, I found that every time I ate a particular brand of breakfast cereal, I would get a cold sore about eight hours later. The third time I had had a cold sore in about a month (a very unusually high frequency for me), I started to wonder if some foods I was eating were responsible. I suspected this cereal as I only ate it occasionally and I realised that quite literally around eight hours after eating the stuff, up popped a sore.

This cereal had a high sugar content and I think the grains in the stuff are high in arginine. I think certain foods may be triggers for different people and I believe that stuff was a trigger for me!

I threw the cereal in the bin and from that day to this have never eaten another breakfast cereal, and have also since then been using lip balm since then to try to reduce the frequency of sores. For whatever reason, possibly the change in diet, the lip balm, or simply getting older and developing greater immunity, I know have 1, 2 or 3 cold sores maximum a year rather than 4-6.

I'd say for me, cereal was a factor!! Have you seen the ingredients in some of that stuff?! I'd say something fairly plain and ordinary would be OK but I would think a lot of them had a high arginine content and lots of sugar can't be all that good for you!

Old 12-10-2004, 09:20 PM   #4
    backpacker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

Try cereal from the health food store. They have higher quality ingredients, and no preservatives.

Old 12-15-2004, 12:27 PM   #5
    beaker24
    Veteran
    (female)

beaker24 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backpacker
    Try cereal from the health food store. They have higher quality ingredients, and no preservatives.
    Probably a good idea. I won't mention the brand name of my "problem" cereal, but I doubt it would be on anyone's list of "healthy" foods!

Old 12-17-2004, 05:01 AM   #6
    moondancer659

moondancer659 HB User

I found this site to be useful it gives a breakdown of all the propeties of the food and it tells how much lysine and argine is in the food. Things I never thought had argine in I was quite surprised to see that were so high and the lysine so low. Hope it helps

http://www.nutritiondata.com/index.html

Closed Thread