It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• False Positive Blood Results! Is it possible?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2004, 06:29 PM   #1
    1001bubbles

1001bubbles HB User
    Question False Positive Blood Results! Is it possible?

This is very strange. About 1 year and a half ago, i went to my doctor to get tested for herpes. A few days later, the doctor told me that i tested positive for both type 1 and type 2. I was given a blood test, i dont exactly know which type of blood test was taken. Since then, i never had an outbreak, i always hear these horrifying tales of first outbreaks. So now its been a year and half, with no type of outbreaks what so ever. I dont get cold sores either.

A week or two ago, i decided to go to my school clinic, instead of my regular doctor to get tested again for herpes. I wanted to really see if i had type 2 because i have yet to get an outbreak. This time i was also given a blood test, i dont know which exact blood test was administered to me. The results came back and this time it only showed that i had type 1, there were no traces of type 2.

When i found out that this test showed no traces of type 2, i immediately called my old doctor and they told me that the test i was given before was not very accurate, and that i should go back there and get tested again, this time with another blood test.

Did anyone ever experience this? I have heard of false results when swab test were performed. Is it possible for blood test to come back with false results? If so, which herpes blood test is the least accurate, the only one i know of is the western blot test, and that one is 99 percent accurate.

I plan on going back to my school cliniic to take another test. If that test comes back with no traces of type 2, i will be convinced that i do not have genital herpes, type 2 at least.

THanks for all of your time and input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 09:27 PM   #2
    Dream0n83
    Inactive

Dream0n83 HB User
    Re: False Positive Blood Results! Is it possible?

where have you heard swabs can be false? Because if this is true i plan on getting a blood test! My doc said a swab is the best way to know because it is very accurate? and that blood tests are un-reliable. Hmm!

Old 11-29-2004, 10:00 PM   #3
    backpacker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

For a swab, they rub your sore and then rub some goo in a petri dish, cover it, and see what grows. If a herpes colony grows, they know it (unless grossly incompetent.) But if herpes does not grow, it may be just that the swab did not pick up the virus, or enough for it to grow. So a positive is true, but a negative could be a positive. Not likely, however, if you go at the first sign of an open sore, when the virus is most active.

The blood tests look for antibodies, and I don't know much about them.

Old 11-30-2004, 10:12 AM   #4
    1001bubbles

1001bubbles HB User

so you guys are saying that blood test are even worse to determine if you have herpes?

Old 11-30-2004, 08:22 PM   #5
    idunno78
    (female)

idunno78 HB User

For blood test, ask your dr for an IgG, not IgM (not reliable). Go to www.ashastd.org, there's some good info on antibodies testing.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:20 AM   #6
    zorba
    (male)

zorba HB User

1001bubbles,

My situation was exactly like yours. I had the IgM blood test done which is for type 1 and 2 together. It came out positive for both.

3 months later I tried it again, only this time I asked to check for just type 2. They used the IgG test. It came out negative for type 2.

To be certain with the new result, I checked it yet again a 3rd time using the IgG another 3 months later and the same result, Negative.

My doctor said the reason is that with the IgM test there exists what you call "crossover" or "overlap" problems. Crossover happens when your positive herpes antibody count is barely over the positive limit.

Anything over 1.0 is technically positive. So, if you score a 1.2 for type 1 and a 1.3 for type 2, then you're are considered "borderlined" positive. This means that since your scores are barely positive it could mean a false positive. You could actually be just type 1 instead of both because type 2 and type 1 do overlap when tested with the IgM test.

In my case, the number for my type 2 antibody count dropped from 1.3 to below 1.0 which is negative. Type 1 remained the same at around 1.2.

Finally, the borderline cases should always be tested again within 3 to 4 months using the more accurate and type specific IgG test to see if your antibody count increases since the last test. If it does increase, then you are most likely positive for herpes.

By the way, anything over 2.0 is almost certainly positive for herpes for anyone, regardless of symptoms.

I hope that helped.

Last edited by zorba; 12-01-2004 at 01:22 AM.

Old 12-01-2004, 05:07 PM   #7
    1001bubbles

1001bubbles HB User

This not not sound good, i called my first doctor (thw one who said i had both type one and type 2), and she said that the test that was administered was the IcG test. Tomorrow i will go to my school doctor (the one where i tested positive for type 1, and negative for type 2) to find out which test was given to me. If the doctor tells me that i was given the IcG test, should i assume im free of type 2? What is the doctor tells me that i was given the herpes select or the western blot test?

I will let you know of my results tomorrow after 11. I hope all goes well. Thanks again everybody.

Old 12-02-2004, 05:38 AM   #8
    moondancer659

moondancer659 HB User

This also happened to me I tested postive twice with blood tests the second blood test 5.0 for 1 and 9.74 for 2. I got a letter in the mail from my docs office of all the swabs they did and the herpes came out neg. man think i would have been nuts if it was neg then postive. I would not trust these swabs at all it makes me question the yeast that he did clymida and tricamosis, so I know that i have have it have all the signs and sytoms and the breakout arghhhh but on valtex now and soooooo much better,
    Moondancer

Old 12-02-2004, 09:30 AM   #9
    1001bubbles

1001bubbles HB User

OK, i went to my school doctor today to find out which exact test was given to me. I have the results in front of me. The test was an HSV1 and 2 IGG ABBS. I tested 3.23 for HSV1 and <0.09 for HSV2. The units says "EIA Units".

This is all to confusing for me. This who ordeal. I know what the results say. It's just the different answers ive been getting from my doc. Tomorrow, i will go get my first results from my original doc.

Do you guys find it strange? What are the schances of testing positive for one one IGG test and then negative on another IGG test?

Old 12-02-2004, 03:01 PM   #10
    idunno78
    (female)

idunno78 HB User

From what you wrote it sounds like you're positive for type I and negative for type II. A lab result over 1.10 is considered positive. Ceck it out with your dr or you can call the lab, if they're willing to discuss the results (due to HIPPA rules)

Closed Thread