HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Herpes (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/herpes/)
-   -   virgin teen daughter newly diagnosed with gh, thru oral sex (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/herpes/265651-virgin-teen-daughter-newly-diagnosed-gh-thru-oral-sex.html)

hsvmom 04-17-2005 07:26 AM

Re: virgin teen daughter newly diagnosed with gh, thru oral sex

It's nice to "meet" the teen! I'm glad you feel normal...because you are! As normal as the rest of us anyway. Having herpes doesn't make you abnormal. It's just a virus. I feel normal, too. I don't have any advice to offer you (and wouldn't mind if I did and you didn't listen) but maybe someone will.

uSuaLLY_uNuSuaL 04-18-2005 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=hsvmom]It's nice to "meet" the teen! I'm glad you feel normal...because you are! As normal as the rest of us anyway. Having herpes doesn't make you abnormal. It's just a virus. I feel normal, too. I don't have any advice to offer you (and wouldn't mind if I did and you didn't listen) but maybe someone will.[/QUOTE]
I'm glad to feel normal... I just wish that my mother wouldn't think that this is a life threating virus... to my knowledge it isn't... I can still have a baby vaginally.... (that's what she wants me to experience one day.... When she told me that she thought I'd never be able to have a child the way she did, in the back of my head i was thinkin' "that's not quite true" because I had done a little research before I told anyone about my symptoms... At first I thought it might have been a yeast infection, but i was extremely frightened to tell anyone.. the only person that kind of knew was my boyfriend... and, he only knew because the word "Foreplay" was no longer in our things to do.. that's about all we did besides make out... so of course he had to find out about the symptons first....

My mom found out something kind of interesting... she heard that a woman having a child with HSV had been taking Valtrex all of the time instead of just when an ob happened... does that really work??? Is it safe to do??? can it really prevent an ob??? please can anyone please provide me with at least one of these answers????

"Parting is such sweet sorrow. That I shall say good night til it be morrow..."

hsvmom 04-18-2005 05:08 PM

yes, that really works and it is safe. Most doctors won't want you to take it during the first trimester, but it is a category B drug during pregnancy (which basically means it's pretty safe). tylenol is also category B during pregnancy if that gives you a little perspective on it. valtrex definately can prevent obs...that's the whole point of it! And there are two other antivirals similar to it out there.

There are a good handful of women here who have had great vaginal deliveries. There is risk involved, but for the majority of women there is no problem. The fact that you have herpes now, before you become pregnant, really dramatically increases your chances for a healthy vaginal delivery (one day!). I actually delivered two babies (twin boys) who contracted herpes from me. I was infected during a 2 month hospital stay (still haven't figured that one out!) during my third trimester and didn't know it. I never had symptoms. That is when the risk is highest, when a mother contracts herpes during the last two months of her pregnancy.

The most common treatment protocol I've heard of in talking to moms is to take Valtrex from 36wks on (a pregnancy lasts 38-40wks, [i]just incase[/i] you didn't know). If I become pregnant again, I will talk to my doc about starting sooner. My sons were born at 34wks but I went into preterm labor with them at 23 weeks. Their prematurity puts me at risk for subsequent premature births. So, for example, had I started at 36 weeks with them I never would have started the meds before they were born! That wouldn't do any good! So I will talk to my perinatologist about beginning closer to 30wks or so.

uSuaLLY_uNuSuaL 04-20-2005 06:32 PM

If it's ok to take it everyday while you're pregnant, then it's ok to take it while you're not pregnant??? I'm not pregnant and don't plan to be until much later from now... BUT.. I was curious to find out if there was a way to prevent obs... I have noticed that I get them when I'm beyond stressed out... I'm suprised I haven't had one lately... Thanks for the help!!!

hsvmom 04-21-2005 07:21 AM

yup! you can take it everyday while you're not pregnant. There are cheaper antivirals out there even, but Valtrex is preferred by a lot of people b/c it's only one dose a day. You can talk to your doctor about it. I'm not sure how old you are, just know you are a teenager, but your doctor may prefer to put you on acyclovir because it is the antiviral most commonly used in pediatric patients (which technically you still are :) ). It works as well as Valtrex, just takes two doses a day instead of one. You might even be able to just call the doc that diagnosed you and talk to the nurse, maybe they'll call in an Rx?!

I should add that I personally haven't ever taken the antiviral meds, so I am definately not the most knowledgable person here. A lot of people here try more natural routes, which you might be interested in. If you want to get the most knowledgable responses, you might want to try posting a new post asking about meds and/or natural approaches. If I remember correctly, I think it is backpacker who has a good list of natural approaches for anyone interested. You might be able to just search and find it if you think it's something you might like to try. Good luck!

nkok_nito 04-21-2005 12:46 PM

wow that story was so touuching, one thing is for sure you have one cool mom. you should be very blessed and thankful that your mom is supportive of this situation.. i hope that you give your mom a great big hug and tell her you love her.. im 27 old and i would never ever tell my parents about me having (h) so just stay happy and always love your mom and keep god 1st.. god bless you mom and baby teen :)