It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Stop it before it starts . . .

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
    kierstyn_04

kierstyn_04 HB User
    Stop it before it starts . . .

Does anyone knwo if there is anyway to stop an OB before it starts? I have heard people say thy take extra lysine and that makes it not quite as bad. Im out of Valtrex and too broke to get more, I have lysine and doubled up on it today, but I was just curious if anyone had any ideas . . I didnt want an OB on my birthday! I know it's coming because the area is real sore, so I should have the OB today or tomorrow . . any last efforts that can shorten or stop it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
    kem2cdm

kem2cdm HB User
    Re: Stop it before it starts . . .

I get coldsores, so when I feel an outbreak coming on, I take bigger doses of lysine throughout the day:
    + 2000mg when I wake up (noonish)
    + 2000mg before dinner (5pm)
    + 3000mg an hour before bed (midnight)

I've noticed that it was important to up the dosage before bed, because I've often woken up at 6am to an outbreak that there was nothing I could do about.

There's also the idea of putting ice on it before the breakout to prevent it, it did nothing for me. But I use a topical gel called campho-phenique (sp?)... though it doesn't do much for healing once the blisters form it does numb the area and makes you less likely to touch it.

I only up the dosage of lysine that high until the symptoms are completly gone, that includes during an outbreak (until the scab heals.) Lysine is an amino acid that helps your body build tissue, and I've noticed that it helps the sore go from fluid to scab alot faster as well.

Most of the time, if you catch your ob early enough, you'll be able to prevent it. However, sometimes it does get through... but it's not nearly as severe.

I've started taking garlic oil capsules lately, I'll have to let you know how that goes.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by kem2cdm; 04-15-2005 at 11:25 AM.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:03 PM   #3
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Kierstyn, Are you talking about ob's on your mouth or genital herpes?

I take a course of lysine 2 or 3 times throughout the year and i hardly ever get ob's of type 1 at my mouth. If i'm not taking lysine, or even if i am, and i get that funny feeling that one might be on the way i will up the dosage of lysine. These days, since i've been using lysine throughout certain times of the year, any ob's i get, are very small and clear up quick. I do also keep on hand an ointment called Carmex. It soothes the tingles or burning sensation you might get on your lip when a cold sore is on the way. I love this ointment b/c it's a clear ointment, kind of like lip balm unlike a lot of other cold sore creams which look so obvious on your lip, like one big blob.

As for genital herpes type 2, if i get a sensation that one 'might' be travelling my way, i break open a garlic gel capsule and apply the garlic oil to the area i'm concerned about and it's instantly soothing and i wouldn't get an ob.

In addition to taking lysine or even if you aren't taking lysine, you might want to take a herbal/natural substance to keep your immune system strong as your immune system is known to have an affect on the amount/type/duration of ob's you get. Poor quality sleep, bad diet, too much alcohol/caffiene can affect your immune system. Sun exposure is another which will cause some people to break out.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:25 AM   #4
    kierstyn_04

kierstyn_04 HB User

I have GH type 2. I tried the lysine, I didnt know you could take such a large dose, but I did and it made a big difference. I still got a OB, but it was not nearly as bad as they usually are. Thank you for the input.

Old 04-18-2005, 09:59 AM   #5
    Ornament
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ornament HB User

kierstyn04 ~
    I also, increase my lysine dosage, actually I buy the Super Lysine - it's 1,000mg, per tablet to 2 or 3 tabs.per day - when I feel an ob coming on. (me too, hsv-2below) I've tried AudreyB.'s method with the garlic oil tab, on a qtip - down below and it really seems to help. (Thanx-Audrey B.) and I also increase my oral garlic tabs to 2-3 doses total of 2 tabs, each day. And I reach for my hydrogen peroxide bottle and "blast" that lower area, each time I use the restroom. Also, I increase my water intake per day...But, like Audrey B. says a strong immune system, can make all the difference. Hope this was helpful......Good Luck - Kick virus butt!!!! -S.Orn

Old 04-18-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
    kierstyn_04

kierstyn_04 HB User

Thank you all for youre feedback . . . I have never tried the hydrogen perozide. Does it really help? I was told a long long time ago that hydrogen peroxide keeps a wound open. So I never thought to use it, maybe I was given bad info. Does it really help? Also, i have heard taking a bath in epsom salt, but I did and all it really did was make it kinda sore, didnt heal any sooner.

Old 04-18-2005, 11:45 AM   #7
    Ornament
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ornament HB User

kierstyn 04 ~
    I don't actually get sores, for my ob's. The only time I did was my initial ob, which was a cluster of little bumps - that had yellowish fluid in them (sorry, if too graphic)...Now, it's more of a burn/tingle/soreness/achey/sensation....and I can't really see anything...don't want to drive myself crazy, inspecting down there. Used to with a mirror and flashlight, but don't anymore, now it only looks a little red. But, I can feel the difference. Sometimes, I spray aloe vera gel, if the peroxide doesn't seem to be working. Not, sure what it would be like on open sores, it may burn. Is this your 1st. ob or subsequent ob? I'd try the garlic oil tab on a q-tip, first to see how that works for you...It's hard trying to figure out what works, since we're all different. let us know how you do.....S.Orn

Old 04-18-2005, 12:34 PM   #8
    kierstyn_04

kierstyn_04 HB User

This is my 3rd year I think, honestly I try to loose count, but somewhere around 3 years now. The good part is that it has gotten to be less severe, it went from hellish to maybe I get one or two, but most of the time its like a paper cut and I just get one.
    Ive tried supressive Valtrex, it kidna works, but not really as good as they said it would, I still get about 1 a month, never really gone more than about 2 months without an OB. Im just that lucky! They say over time (like 5 years+) it will eventually get to be more and more less frequent. So I am patiently waiting.
    I appreciate all the tips and advice.

Old 04-18-2005, 02:28 PM   #9
    anna-bananna
    Veteran
    (female)

anna-bananna HB User

Yep Hey girl it's beeen a while but I am still alive and kicking, although I am not really on point with my regimine like I used to be and I am tring to get back on it. But your regimine sounds like mine I am heavy on the garlic at leas applying it. It really helps me I have tried preoxide too and it also seems to help I think the immune thing is cool also. I need to find a multi-vitamin to take. and I know what you mean about loosing count I try to do that too but it never seems to work. But over the years it has seemed to simmer down ( DOWN BOY) btu it still flares up every now and thenbut I am getting every thing in my life together not so I will be keeping ya'll up dated and I hope every one finds someht ing that works.

A NNA b

Old 04-19-2005, 07:39 AM   #10
    Ornament
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ornament HB User

AnnaB ~
    Long time, no hear...Hope all is well with you. Missed your sense of humor....Both my G.P. & Gyn, recommended Centrum as a good multi-vitamin...I take Centrum-silver, allergic to zinc. But, you can find them anywhere, even walmart.....
    Big Grins, S.Orn

Old 04-19-2005, 09:05 AM   #11
    kierstyn_04

kierstyn_04 HB User

Well I found a lysine tablet that has more than just lysine, it had 1000mg of lysine and then zinc (sorry orn) and vitamin C , which are all good for H. SO that pill has been helping and it makes my medicine cabinet not as crowded LOL.
    So last night I tried the hydrogen peroxide and today Im just sore . . . which usually doesnt feel like this, I think I may have irritated it, but hey if it makes it go away faster well worth it, the soreness is not unbearable.
    Willing to try anything these days! Im so tired of this , its like every month without fail. Seems like just when it goes away, I get one good week adn it happens again . . I feel the symptoms coming . . So keep passing any tips or idea you get . . . . . . . . .

Old 04-19-2005, 10:46 AM   #12
    Ornament
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ornament HB User

kierstyn04~
    Good for you...the vitamin route is (I think) the only thing that has helped me...Ob's have gotten better - when I added RMA (red marine algae), you can find it online, that where I got mine. I went out and got one of those "weekly" pill box containers, with the days of the week on them, then I just load it up once a week. And take them daily from each compartment. I always take them 1st. thing in the morning, w/juice (usually orange or grapefruit), they seem to want to come back up - if I take them with water.
    I'm wondering if your stress level is extremely high...school, work, boyfriend/husband, friends/kids, life in general....If that's the case - then you need to start finding ways to decrease your stress. Do the things you like and the things that are relaxing to you....Music, walk, reading, bubble baths, whatever. You've got to remember stress triggers ob's, so maybe it's your stress level that needs adjusting....Besides, stressing over this h-crap, doesn't do any good anyway and besides it's a waste of "good energy". Ok, I'll get off of my soapbox, on that one. Please, just don't take offense to any of my suggestions. I'm not implying anything, by no means. I'm just trying to help and if I'm off-base, I really don't mean to be. Just trying to help you - figure out what your "triggers" are. One last questions, have you tried AudreyB."s suggestion of piercing open the garlic oil tabs and using the oil on a q-tip to dap the areas? I thought, I was getting an ob yesterday and did that garlic thing, about 3-4 times, throughout yesterday and today the feeling is gone. If you'll notice in alot of posts - especially backpacker's garlic is always mentioned. Maybe you should incorporate garlic oil tablets into your daily supplements, they can be found anywhere. Vitamin store, drug store and even Walamrt has them and they are inexpensive....
    Just a thought, that's all.....
    Smiles, -S. Orn

Old 04-19-2005, 02:05 PM   #13
    anna-bananna
    Veteran
    (female)

anna-bananna HB User

so Orn the red marine alge really worked for you hu..I have always wanted to try ot but I don't exactly know anyone that has really tried it so I will now. what brand do you get?

Old 04-19-2005, 06:51 PM   #14
    Ornament
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ornament HB User
    AnnaBanna~
    The red marine algae is made by solaray....I found it @ [ deleted ]....and I just finished my first bottle - that contain 100 tables, I take only 1 per day, in the am...I got 2 bottles - total....I wanted to give it some time - before I reported back to you-all. So, I guess (while she - does the math in her head) I've been taking them a little over 3 months, now. Have you tried - piercing the garlic oil tabs. (Audreyb."s method) and applying it with a q-tip to the area in question????....worked great for me....And yes, Walmart (our favorite store) has them.
    Welcome, back - stick around I missed ya......-S-Orn

Last edited by Mo-S4; 06-11-2005 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Do not post links to commercial web sites.

Old 04-20-2005, 02:45 AM   #15
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Shiny, you mention that you feel that the vitamins are what helped you. I'm always amazed at how something different is what has helped a certain individual, which truly shows just how unique we all are. As you know, for me it's been garlic which i believe has been of tremendous benefit. I've started taking astralagus a week ago too. I feel my downside is my immune system for some reason. Maybe my immune system is busy fighting lots of things and it stretches itself to far and wide. Will have to toughen up i think

Closed Thread