It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Pregnant with herpes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
    BABYGIRL1129
    (female)

BABYGIRL1129 HB User
    Unhappy Pregnant with herpes

Ok so I need as much feedback as I can get from anyone with knowledge about herpes and pregnancy. I am 20 years old and just found out I am pregnant with my first child. I contracted herpes simplex 1 about 5 years ago and have suffered from very mild outbreaks (once maybe twice a year). I have been with my partner for over a year now and never told him about my problem. I am not aasshamed of having herpes because it is a part of me however I'm worried his feelings will change about me and our unborn child. More or less I am concerned about my babies health nothing is more important to me than this. And my OBGYN knows about my problem but I want to keep it stricly between myself and her. Is it possible to get through this without letting my partner know?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 12:30 PM   #2
    hsvmom
    Veteran
    (female)

hsvmom HB User
    Re: Pregnant with herpes

Your baby should be fine. Neonatal herpes is rare and is more likely in patients who acquire herpes during the last trimester of their pregnancy. Try not to be too concerned about it and talk to your ob about suppressive therapy as you near delivery.

As for your question about telling your partner... Legally, yes you can get through this without letting your partner know. Your obstetrician is obligated to keep ALL your medical information private. I'm sure she will assume that he knows, however, so if you insist on keeping it from him then you should talk with her about this. You won't be able to keep it just between you and her however. Most of your delivery team will need to know as well as the pediatrician who examins your baby and the nursery team. That's a good thing, of course, because it is necessary to protect your baby. It is also wise to share the information with your new baby's pediatrician so he/she can continue to be monitored for symptoms.

Legalities aside, it is still important that you tell him for many many reasons.

Closed Thread