It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• A Few Questions About Herpes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2005, 01:15 PM   #1
    mrmann
    (male)

mrmann HB User
    A Few Questions About Herpes

I've been diagnosed with HSV-2 for about 3 years now. I was diagnosed by my private doctor but my urologist after taking a sample from me says it was some long medical name that starts with the letter M. So my question is why is that? Also I havent had an outbreak in a very long time (im taking Acyclovir) but what i do notice on the shaft are these tiny dots that i see and feel...is that a form of an outbreak or something like shedding or shingles? And if it is shedding or shingles or something like that, would taking Valtrex help reduce that? I have read that it helps in reducing such symptoms. Or if anybody has their own remedies for symptoms such as mine, please share. I have a dr. appointment all the way in october so just would like to hear from others. This board and its members have been an invaluable source of information and hope. I thank you all for your time and input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2005, 08:47 AM   #2
    GreenEggs
    Inactive
    (male)

GreenEggs HB User
    Re: A Few Questions About Herpes

How were you diagnosed by your doctor; visual exam, culture, bloodtest?

The most important thing to know about Herpes testing are:

1) Never, ever, ever trust a visual exam as proof that you have (or don't have) Herpes Simplex Virus (hvs). While doctors have good intentions, they can very easily be wrong.

2) The best test for herpes is a culture test. However, there needs to be something there to swab like a lesion. The culture must be collected within 48 hours. Because of this timing issue, False negatives are very common with culture testing and should be followed up with a blood test. A positive culture is direct proof the virus exists, and reveals the location of the infection, oral or genital. A culture should be typed for hsv1 or hsv2.

3) Without a lesion to culture, the next best way to test is an IgG type specific blood test. Any blood test is an indirect test, looking for the antibodies to the virus, not the actual virus. Because the human body needs time to develop antibodies, the recommendation from all test makers is waiting at least 12-16 weeks post possible exposure. Taking the test too early could result in a false negative. However, an early test could be used as a baseline. Meaning, if your first test is negative and the second positive, you'll know it's a recent infection, happening close to the testing dates. A typed blood test will reveal what you have, hsv1 or hsv2, but will not reveal the location. The norm is oral hsv1 and genital hsv2. Do not waste your time and money on the older IgM blood test, it's worthless. Make sure you get hard copies of your test results, so you can post them if you have more questions.

The best Blood tests are:
    HerpeSelect,
    biokitHSV-2 Rapid Test,
    WesternBlot

There are many things that look like herpes, and there're many things that are normal. The important thing is to not ignore them, or be in denial thinking this can't be happening to you. 1 in 4 adults has genital herpes (ghsv2), yet 90% don't know it because the symptoms are so mild they go unnoticed. This helps explain why 70% of new infections came from partners who didn't know they were positive. Next time you're in a class room or office, look around: If there 100 adults, 25 will have genital herpes, yet only 2 will know it.

Many standard STD tests do not include testing for herpes. You'll need to ask for it. So when someone says they just got an STD test and they're 'clean', they probably didn't get tested for herpes and may not be clean at all.

Last edited by GreenEggs; 09-20-2005 at 08:50 AM.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:31 PM   #3
    mrmann
    (male)

mrmann HB User

thank you for the in depth response back, i really appreciate it. it was a blood test from my physician...urologist took a sample...and what about the shingles or shedding? any suggestions on that?

Old 09-21-2005, 12:35 AM   #4
    GreenEggs
    Inactive
    (male)

GreenEggs HB User

Make sure your blood test was an IgG and not IgM test.

I won't be able to help you on the shingles. Try doing a google search of shingles, looking for pictures so you can compare. Beware, there are many horror pictures out there.

Valtrex will "reduce" outbreaks and shedding but can not "prevent".

Good Luck

Closed Thread