It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• several cold sore questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
    random roy
    (male)

random roy HB User
    several cold sore questions

Hi, If my memory is decent, I've gotten the odd lip ulcer once in a while throughout my childhood. Last night I felt a hard painful lump in my lower lip and today is seems to be the beginning of a cold sore. (how great... )

I've never been properly diagnosed or tested, although I've had numorous blood tests at different times of my life and my mother or doctor have never told me about having a herpes virus. Now I'm 19, maybe it would be wise to get this checked out if it turns into a full-out cold sore...

I was mostly wondering what do people do when they get a lession/breakout/ulcer/ cold sore? do you guys skip school until the wound is fully healed or until it's no longer visible? do you guys call sick at work to not be seen with this? has anyone ever lost a job due to not wanting to go in to work because of this? do you guys just hide out at home (like me) until it's gone? when you think of it , this could have so many negative effects I mean an adult can't really just start missing work because of this but how does one go through the shame and embarassement of walking around and facing people with this strange wound on their lip?

If I end up actually having the hsv1, I then wonder how the hell I got it, because I have only kissed between 5-6 girls in my life(mostly grade school girlfriends) and have been a virgin (no intercourse/no oral/no manual touching...only kissing) up until the age of 16, then met the girl I'm still going out with now. Me and her were both complete virgins before we met, all we had done before was kissed other people.

So I have trouble understanding how it's still considered an "STD" if it's given other ways than sexually. I've always been weary enuff to not go kissing little girls with scabs on their mouths, but then again I've read that you can catch it even if the person has no visible sores. So that could mean that I might of caught it from simply smoking a joint with someone? but then doesn't that make it something else than an STD? cause I mean it obviously wasn't "SEXUALLY" transmitted. that pisses me off, basically every one of my friends could have and just not no about? How the hell can the spread be stopped if you can catch it by simply kissing an aunt or cousin?

sorry for all the questions , I guess I'm just realising more and more that I could easily have this virus and I'm a bit spooked and ****** off.

Other questions that bug me are, what is the origin of the herpes virus? does it come from man *****ing monkey like HIV/AIDS? is there any 'starting point' that is known? it has to have started somewhere...

one last thing, my girlfriend wanted to come see me tonight, but should I avoid kissing her even if the sore is not 'busted' or 'popped' yet? in other words if it's not an 'open wound' ? and is it possible that she already has it because of me and not even know it? keeping in mind it can be given without any sores...

also is it hereditary? is it possible I have had since I was born because either or both of my parents had it? will I pass it on to my children If I have it?

holy crap, I apologize for such a long post with so many questions, especially being my first post. any input /help concerning any of the questions is GREATLY appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2005, 08:01 AM   #2
    1 girl
    (female)

1 girl HB User
    Re: several cold sore questions

Scary thought. My daughter has fever blisters and she is only 7.
    I think it's so widespread, anyone is at risk. I guess blood test is the only way to be sure, and that's not even accurate.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
    keepsgoin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

keepsgoin HB User

Most people contract hsv1(cold sores) when they are children just from being kissed by a parent or relative they say. Yes you can give that to your GF by kissing her AND you can give her genital herpes by giving her oral sex...OH YES!!!! There are many stories of virgins having genital herpes from having oral sex and have never had intercourse before in their lives!!!! So sorry to say it but don't kiss or have oral sex while you have that sore. There is a lot of information about hsv1 and hsv2 on the internet just by searching with your favorite search engine. There are a lot of misconceptions about herpes like genital herpes is always hsv2 and oral herpes is always hsv1 and this is not true. You can also have both types. Genital herpes is not something that bad people have, in fact 25% of the people have hsv2 and something like 80% have hsv1. I'm going to bet that if more people were tested and we had more accurate tests that way more than 25% of the population has hsv2! Here's something else to consider...you can give your GF genital herpes 1 and then you can get genital herpes 1 from her...you can in fact infect yourself with genital herpes because it spreads easily to different parts of your body!

Old 12-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #4
    WhyIsThisMyLife
    (female)

WhyIsThisMyLife HB User

If we go into the origin of viruses we will have to go into the origin of man. It's DNA and it has evolved over the years. The "myth" that HIV came to be via sexual intercourse between man and chimpanzee is just that...a myth and highly unlikely. Viruses can cross species and there are more ways for it to have done so than sexual intercourse. As to oral herpes 1 being an STD. It can be transmitted to the genitals via oral sex, but most of the times it is transmitted via non sexual means. Should you kiss your girlfriend when you have it? No. It is contagious. You shouldn't kiss her if you have strep throat or the flu either. When I have a cold sore. I go to work. Most people know what it is and have had them theirselves. Why need I feel shame? Do you feel shame when you have the flu? That is a virus also. Hell if I have a cold sore after calling in sick, I figure at least my supervisor knows that I must have really been sick as they generally appear after a cold. Anyway, stop freaking out over a little cold sore. If you go to the doctor over it, they will laugh at you (as they did me once). Remember it is contagious and no oral sex or kissing anyone when you have one or feel yourself coming down with one. Wash your hands a lot so you don't transmit it by your hands either. The same as you would do if you had another viral infection or a bacterial infection. Also, it is not hereditary.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by random roy
    Hi, If my memory is decent, I've gotten the odd lip ulcer once in a while throughout my childhood. Last night I felt a hard painful lump in my lower lip and today is seems to be the beginning of a cold sore. (how great... )

I've never been properly diagnosed or tested, although I've had numorous blood tests at different times of my life and my mother or doctor have never told me about having a herpes virus. Now I'm 19, maybe it would be wise to get this checked out if it turns into a full-out cold sore...

I was mostly wondering what do people do when they get a lession/breakout/ulcer/ cold sore? do you guys skip school until the wound is fully healed or until it's no longer visible? do you guys call sick at work to not be seen with this? has anyone ever lost a job due to not wanting to go in to work because of this? do you guys just hide out at home (like me) until it's gone? when you think of it , this could have so many negative effects I mean an adult can't really just start missing work because of this but how does one go through the shame and embarassement of walking around and facing people with this strange wound on their lip?

If I end up actually having the hsv1, I then wonder how the hell I got it, because I have only kissed between 5-6 girls in my life(mostly grade school girlfriends) and have been a virgin (no intercourse/no oral/no manual touching...only kissing) up until the age of 16, then met the girl I'm still going out with now. Me and her were both complete virgins before we met, all we had done before was kissed other people.

So I have trouble understanding how it's still considered an "STD" if it's given other ways than sexually. I've always been weary enuff to not go kissing little girls with scabs on their mouths, but then again I've read that you can catch it even if the person has no visible sores. So that could mean that I might of caught it from simply smoking a joint with someone? but then doesn't that make it something else than an STD? cause I mean it obviously wasn't "SEXUALLY" transmitted. that pisses me off, basically every one of my friends could have and just not no about? How the hell can the spread be stopped if you can catch it by simply kissing an aunt or cousin?

sorry for all the questions , I guess I'm just realising more and more that I could easily have this virus and I'm a bit spooked and ****** off.

Other questions that bug me are, what is the origin of the herpes virus? does it come from man *****ing monkey like HIV/AIDS? is there any 'starting point' that is known? it has to have started somewhere...

one last thing, my girlfriend wanted to come see me tonight, but should I avoid kissing her even if the sore is not 'busted' or 'popped' yet? in other words if it's not an 'open wound' ? and is it possible that she already has it because of me and not even know it? keeping in mind it can be given without any sores...

also is it hereditary? is it possible I have had since I was born because either or both of my parents had it? will I pass it on to my children If I have it?

holy crap, I apologize for such a long post with so many questions, especially being my first post. any input /help concerning any of the questions is GREATLY appreciated!

Old 12-12-2005, 11:35 PM   #5
    WhyIsThisMyLife
    (female)

WhyIsThisMyLife HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by keepsgoin
    Here's something else to consider...you can give your GF genital herpes 1 and then you can get genital herpes 1 from her...you can in fact infect yourself with genital herpes because it spreads easily to different parts of your body!

It does not spread easily. Autoinnoculation is VERY rare and happens when someone first is infected. After that the body builds of antibodies which will attack the viruses if it is introduced somewhere else. So, what you have stated above is not true and there has been no case of it happening. Having herpes in both places is very rare, but when it does happen it occurs simultaneously.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:46 AM   #6
    keepsgoin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

keepsgoin HB User

It certainly can be spead to other parts of the body by yourself! I know...I'm scientific proof!

Old 12-13-2005, 12:16 PM   #7
    backpacker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User

Protection from antibodies is partial. You can spread herpes to other parts of your body, but remember that you do have some antibodies to fight it off, and the herpes virus dies easily when exposed to air, so the time you might carry it anywhere else is extremely short. Thus it is unlikely but not impossible. Herpes is also sensitive to regular soap and detergent, so you don't need to wash your hands till they are rough and red...just wash as you would when you have a cold. The main precaution to take is to avoid allowing anyone to touch on or near the sore from the time you think you might be getting one (no matter what symptoms, even just unexplained fatigue) to about two days after it has completely disappeared. There is virus present on your skin from before the sore appears to several days after it has healed.

Old 12-15-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
    WhyIsThisMyLife
    (female)

WhyIsThisMyLife HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by keepsgoin
    It certainly can be spead to other parts of the body by yourself! I know...I'm scientific proof!
    I said it can during the initial infection and prior to the body building up antibodies.

Closed Thread