It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Trusting a negative test result?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2005, 06:26 AM   #1
    keepsgoin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

keepsgoin HB User
    Trusting a negative test result?

How much faith can one put in getting a negative test result from a IgG blood test? From what I've read in herpes literature, getting negative test results is not a 100% accurate but positive test results are just about 100% accurate. I can't help but think that if a person has all the symptoms of herpes and they get negative test results, then they still need to assume they have herpes? Am I being overly precautious and skeptical in this assumption?

Has anyone here gotten negative test results over and over but finally came back with a positive one after more time has elapsed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2005, 01:36 PM   #2
    cmill32
    (female)

cmill32 HB User
    Re: Trusting a negative test result?

keepsgoin, In my opinion, I think you need to realize there are many other things out there that relate to herpes but are not herpes...if you read the recent post from Oceanus, maybe it will make it easier for you to believe that you could have symptoms of herpes but not actually have herpes. As my doctor said..there are SO many problems out there that could cause the things happening to you in the genital area. I notice that you are very knowledgable of the disease because I see that you reply to many if not most of the questions people have on this board and you seem to give very good advice. Also I remember reading a few times that your outbreaks are so often and haven't healed in a long time...My gyno, regular MD, AND a dermatoligist all said herpes does not last that long becuase I have not been normal down there since October which is when I thought I got infected. So maybe you should go get a blood test done, find out of herpes is actually what you have...that way if you know you don't have herpes, you can move on and see a dermatoligist for the problems you have been experiencing.

Last edited by cmill32; 12-29-2005 at 01:38 PM.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
    stillme23
    (female)

stillme23 HB User

I am wondering? If you have ongoing symptoms then have you had a culture swab done yet? If so how did that come out? I think you should request that to be honest if you haven't already. If that comes out negative then you may be safe afterall from herpes. I know they say that you need to be swabbed within 48 hours of and outbreak but I was swabbed days, I think like almost a week after my symptoms started so maybe this is something you should think about, and definitely keep us posted.

Old 12-30-2005, 10:55 AM   #4
    keepsgoin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

keepsgoin HB User

I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and act like I'm too good to have herpes. I have every herpes symptom and my BF has herpes symptoms. My ob lasted for about 7 weeks, my symptoms are pretty much 100% gone. I HAVE read very much on the subject and know that herpes is so different in different people and from OB to OB. I have also read that false negatives are very common but false positives are almost unheard of. That other possible virus would give me sores like this, headaches like this, dull aching legs and feet like this, itching rashes like this, discoloration in my discharge, painful urination, all herpes symptoms and no symptom that's not associated with herpes. NO, I have to face it, I got herpes from having sex with someone that has herpes.

I have not seen any other ailment that mimics herpes 100%...if someone knows of anything else that has the same exact symptoms of herpes, I'd love to research it. Anything that I have read usually gives common ailments that are mistaken for herpes, I have investigated everything that I have seen mentioned and nothing else resembles what I have. As I've mentioned before, I feel as if I am on a mission to single handedly make folks aware of herpes. If I can stop one person from spreading it to someones else...I'll feel happy. Unfortunately it's too late for me because I didn't see what was right in front of me(a sore on my BFs penis). I didn't know something so innocent looking could cause so much sorrow!

Last edited by keepsgoin; 12-30-2005 at 12:20 PM.

Closed Thread