It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Six months til you can blood test??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
    OneForTheMoney
    (male)

OneForTheMoney HB User
    Six months til you can blood test??

I fear I may have been infected. I dont have any physical symptoms yet though. I've heard an IgG blood test is the most reliable test, but you have to wait six months til enough antibodies accumulate to show up on a test. Is this true?? Is six months the absolute minimum??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
    over21
    (male)

over21 HB User
    Re: Six months til you can blood test??

The correct herpes blood test is an IgG type specific blood test. There are only 3 FDA approved IgG tests in the U.S. for Herpes testing. All of them recommend waiting at least 12-16 weeks post possible exposure. While 50% of the people will seroconvert (turn positive) by week 8, some take longer especially if already hsv1 positive. Bottom line; the longer you wait, the higher the accuracy of a negative result. Don't waste your time and money getting a test at week 10, cause you'd need to retest at week 16 for a higher level of confidence in a negative result.

You could get tested now. However, a positive result doesn't mean you just got it, cause you could have had it for years without knowing it, and a negative result doesn't mean you don't have it cause your body may be slow in developing detectable antibodies and you'd need to follow up with another test at the 16 week mark.

There is the rare occasion where a person will take longer the 16 weeks to seroconvert, but that is the exception not the norm. Remember, that during this waiting time "IF" you do have the virus, you can pass it to another person even though you don't have the detectable antibodies yet.

Skip the older IgM test, the results are unreliable and worthless for herpes testing, it only add more confusion then answers.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:34 PM   #3
    OneForTheMoney
    (male)

OneForTheMoney HB User
    Re: Six months til you can blood test??

So it sounds like it's a 4-month minimum to wait, not a 6-month.

Closed Thread