It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Does anyone else feel constant prodromal symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
    Does anyone else feel constant prodromal symptoms?

Hi everyone,

I got this in February, and although since then I have only had a few OB-free days, I think I just finished my second OB instead of my 5th or 6th like I originally thought. I think that all these OB's that I thought were mini-OB's were the same Initial OB that just lasted a really long time. I'm now saying this only because this OB that I just had matched exactly what a 2nd OB is "supposed" to be like: It was about half as bad as the symptoms of the initial and it lasted about half as long. I felt flu-like throughout this OB as well, but not nearly as flu-like and sick as I did during OB #1. Now, for three days, my bumps are GONE (FINALLY!) but ever since my first OB, I have CONSTANT prodromal symptoms. My right foot constantly tingles, and the tingly pain travels all the way up my leg, and I can feel it tingle exactly where I always get my OB, which is on the right side of my labia. I'm on suppressive acyclovir and sometimes I think that makes the prodromal feelings worse! I don't know if it's coincedental, but everytime I take an acyclovir tablet I can FEEL the virus travelling up and down my leg. Either the acyclovir makes the prodromal symptoms worse or it just isn't helping at all. I'm really trying to keep a positive outlook because having the 2nd OB wasn't half as bad as the first one, so I'm hoping that with each OB, they'll be more and more mild until I don't get any, or at least rarely get OB's. Wishful thinking, I know. Anyway, does anyone else have the constant tinglies?

~Katalina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
    happiness is
    (female)

happiness is HB User
    Re: Does anyone else feel constant prodromal symptoms?

Someone on another board said that they heard that the tingling/burning etc was really an aborted outbreak. I have no idea if it is true but it was an interesting idea. It sort of fits with what you are saying . . . pop a pill and the sensation starts. So if it is infact true, that would mean you were starting to have an outbreak, popped a pill, and it stopped it from becoming a full outbreak.

I don't know if you remember that I said I was going to switch from Famvir to another brand but I couldn't remember which other one I had tried before. I suddenly remembered it was blue with 6 sides. I looked it up on the internet and it said that Zovirax looks like that. So I guess the only one left for me to try is Valtrex. When I'm at the doctor I will have him review my file just to make sure I hadn't tried that one before.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
    Acting_up
    Inactive
    (male)

Acting_up HB User

Someone on another board said that they heard that the tingling/burning etc was really an aborted outbreak.

The reason why I copied and pasted that was at one point I had allllllllloooooot of tingling on my "balls" (sorry for incorrect grammer if I offended any1 or broke any rules" but once it stoped after awhile... I didnt have any outbreaks or anything.. most it ever went was a slitly, very little, very mi-nute burning and that only happened if I took a shower but that was ever it!.... mean anything to any1?

Old 05-09-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
    saragirl
    (female)

saragirl HB User

I have had similar experiences (I am on suppressive Valtrex) with constant prodromal symptoms. I am also now dealing with what I feel like is actually a second outbreak. I don't feel additional symptoms when I take the Valtrex though. I can only hope this is going to start getting better. Thanks for your post and please keep it up. I hope you feel better soon.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GettingWellAgain
    Hi everyone,

I got this in February, and although since then I have only had a few OB-free days, I think I just finished my second OB instead of my 5th or 6th like I originally thought. I think that all these OB's that I thought were mini-OB's were the same Initial OB that just lasted a really long time. I'm now saying this only because this OB that I just had matched exactly what a 2nd OB is "supposed" to be like: It was about half as bad as the symptoms of the initial and it lasted about half as long. I felt flu-like throughout this OB as well, but not nearly as flu-like and sick as I did during OB #1. Now, for three days, my bumps are GONE (FINALLY!) but ever since my first OB, I have CONSTANT prodromal symptoms. My right foot constantly tingles, and the tingly pain travels all the way up my leg, and I can feel it tingle exactly where I always get my OB, which is on the right side of my labia. I'm on suppressive acyclovir and sometimes I think that makes the prodromal feelings worse! I don't know if it's coincedental, but everytime I take an acyclovir tablet I can FEEL the virus travelling up and down my leg. Either the acyclovir makes the prodromal symptoms worse or it just isn't helping at all. I'm really trying to keep a positive outlook because having the 2nd OB wasn't half as bad as the first one, so I'm hoping that with each OB, they'll be more and more mild until I don't get any, or at least rarely get OB's. Wishful thinking, I know. Anyway, does anyone else have the constant tinglies?

~Katalina

Old 05-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #5
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Hi H.I. & Everyone,

I really do think that the constant prodromal sensation is an "aborted" OB. That's exactly what it feels like. I think that if I didn't obsessively apply H-Balm, Peroxide and take extra acyclovir, I'd have a full-blown fairly bad OB instead of the mini-OB's that I get. Actually, I'm not even sure I get mini-OB's; I think I've had one big OB since this started. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in experiencing this constant prodrome, but I am sorry to hear that anyone else has to go through this. I really almost want to test my theory that I would get a VERY bad OB without acyclovir and my topical treatments, but I have a boyfriend who (we think) doesn't have HSV, so I can't do that. Well, on the other hand, whether I had a big OB or one of the little OB's I have, I'd still be contagious either way. That's what pisses me off the most. It sucks.

H.I.--So you're saying that you already tried Zovirax and it didn't work? I know you said that you couldn't remember what other antiviral medication you took, and now you think it's Zovirax, but did it just not work for you or did you have a bad reaction to it?

Acting Up--have you tested positive for HSV? I can't say for sure whether or not you have HSV based on your symptoms of course, but some people do get OB's that consist only of tingling and burning without actual blisters. Some people get OB's for days while other get OB's only for hours within a day. Herpes really can be different for everyone, believe it or not. If you haven't been tested yet, you have to insist upon the HerpeSelect type-specific blood test. It is the most accurate out there.

SaraGirl--I'm doing the same as you--just PRAYING that this is going to get bettter soon. Others on this board have mentioned that we have to keep in mind what the natural progression of the virus is; basically, it gets better with time. Honestly, if I didn't have a BF, I wouldn't even take antivirals unless I was in excruciating pain, and I would just let the virus run its course so that my immune system could build strong antibodies against herpes. Not that it ever truly disappears, but I feel like suppressing viral shedding (using antivirals) allows our bodies to keep higher levels of the virus within us. I don't know how true this is, but that's my personal theory. I'm actually dealing with a 2nd OB at this time, too--it can be very disheartening. Anyway, I hope you feel better, soon, too!

Thanks Everyone,
    Katalina

Old 05-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
    happiness is
    (female)

happiness is HB User

I recall that it didn't work so I had the Dr. switch me to another one. I can't remember if he switched me to Famvir right away or whether he switched me to Valtrex and then to Famvir. So there is a chance I've been through all three drugs and not had great results with any. I imagine the doctor will have this information somewhere in my file but I'm hoping I haven't tried Valtrex yet so at least I'll have something to look forward to! I don't recall having a bad reaction and the only reason I switched was because whatever drug it was, it wasn't working. I have booked a doctor's appt for next week to discuss this.

Quote:
    Hi H.I. & Everyone,

H.I.--So you're saying that you already tried Zovirax and it didn't work? I know you said that you couldn't remember what other antiviral medication you took, and now you think it's Zovirax, but did it just not work for you or did you have a bad reaction to it?

Acting Up--have you tested positive for HSV? I can't say for sure whether or not you have HSV based on your symptoms of course, but some people do get OB's that consist only of tingling and burning without actual blisters. Some people get OB's for days while other get OB's only for hours within a day. Herpes really can be different for everyone, believe it or not. If you haven't been tested yet, you have to insist upon the HerpeSelect type-specific blood test. It is the most accurate out there.

SaraGirl--I'm doing the same as you--just PRAYING that this is going to get bettter soon. Others on this board have mentioned that we have to keep in mind what the natural progression of the virus is; basically, it gets better with time. Honestly, if I didn't have a BF, I wouldn't even take antivirals unless I was in excruciating pain, and I would just let the virus run its course so that my immune system could build strong antibodies against herpes. Not that it ever truly disappears, but I feel like suppressing viral shedding (using antivirals) allows our bodies to keep higher levels of the virus within us. I don't know how true this is, but that's my personal theory. I'm actually dealing with a 2nd OB at this time, too--it can be very disheartening. Anyway, I hope you feel better, soon, too!

Thanks Everyone,
    Katalina

Old 05-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
    saragirl
    (female)

saragirl HB User

Katalina: Thank you for your support. Believe me I have considered going off the suppressive therapy because A. It doesn't work! B. It cost more than my car payment!. I don't have a BF right now or probably ever again now that I am dealing with this, but I think I am just scared to see what will happen with out the anti virals. I am going to give it some thought. I hope you feel better soon and again I really appreciate your input. Peace

Quote:
    Hi H.I. & Everyone,

Thanks Everyone,
    Katalina

Old 05-19-2006, 11:56 AM   #8
    BlueUK
    (female)

BlueUK HB User

Hi All,

Yes, I have had exactly the same problem, and the prodromal symptoms appear to be exaggerated when I'm taking Acicylvor. I've had the nerve pains non stop since last October, but my visible OB's have been greatly reduced as time goes on. I started the suppressents a month ago for 2 weeks but came off because the pain in my lymphs was unbearable, as it happens I have parasites in my glands (caused by cows milk/cheese/yoghurts) and am on a 6 week course of herbal remedies to rid myself of these, my doctor tells me that when they have cleared up my progress will be much faster. She was surprised the suppressants didn't work as they are pretty powerful. I'm on my second attempt now with them but once again there's no change, if anything the virus seems to be more active.

I think I'm going to come off them and just keep on trying to get better naturally.

God, what a pisser! (excuse my language) but I really thought that supressants would be my fall back plan if I couldn't take it anymore, only to find they don't bloody well work.

Good luck to all, stay positive!

Blue

Old 05-19-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
    happiness is
    (female)

happiness is HB User

Last night I did a ton of research about why herpes strains can be resistant to antivirals. Just about everything I read seems to say that the odds of being resistant to the antivirals are extremely rare (unless you have HIV). Yet here we are, a bunch of us who have not had success with them . . . I think their stats must be a tad off!!

I was on this other board that charges $15 to ask a question to a "herpes guru doctor". I was reading this one post where a woman was insisting she has had no success with any antivirals and she is not HIV positive. The doctor all but called her a liar. He insisted she is not experiencing herpes outbreaks because he has never heard of anyone having antiviral resistant herpes unless they are HIV positive. I would have loved to tell him I am the same but I had no intention of wasting $15 to say this. She kept telling him that she KNOWS it is herpes and proceeded to list her symptoms. Again, he was adamant that she is not experiencing herpes outbreaks. Now we know why this disease is being spread at such a high rate. My goodness, if doctors keep telling us we are not experiencing herpes outbreaks, and even "expert doctors" are telling us this, then I would well imagine the average person would say "hmmm, I guess I don't really have herpes so who am I too argue!!"

Last edited by happiness is; 05-19-2006 at 12:19 PM.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #10
    4everscared
    (female)

4everscared HB User

Hi Blue UK . am sorry to hear about all you have been going through back and forth with antivirals . would like to ask you what antiviral have you been on ? is it by any chance Valtrex ? also would you care to share what type of nerve pain you have ? take care of you . hope you get to feeling some better soon .

K]Hi All,

Yes, I have had exactly the same problem, and the prodromal symptoms appear to be exaggerated when I'm taking Acicylvor. I've had the nerve pains non stop since last October, but my visible OB's have been greatly reduced as time goes on. I started the suppressents a month ago for 2 weeks but came off because the pain in my lymphs was unbearable, as it happens I have parasites in my glands (caused by cows milk/cheese/yoghurts) and am on a 6 week course of herbal remedies to rid myself of these, my doctor tells me that when they have cleared up my progress will be much faster. She was surprised the suppressants didn't work as they are pretty powerful. I'm on my second attempt now with them but once again there's no change, if anything the virus seems to be more active.

I think I'm going to come off them and just keep on trying to get better naturally.

God, what a pisser! (excuse my language) but I really thought that supressants would be my fall back plan if I couldn't take it anymore, only to find they don't bloody well work.

Good luck to all, stay positive!

Blue[/QUOTE]

Old 05-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #11
    BlueUK
    (female)

BlueUK HB User

Hi 4everscared,

I was on Acyclorvir, I stopped taking it on Sunday and feel 100 times better, the tenderness in my glands has gone. Perhaps the antivirals aren't working for us because there is something else wrong (not HIV) ..I will try the supressants again when I am clear of the parasites, it does say in the info leaflet that they are for people with healthy immune systems and there are a lot of things you can have wrong without even realising (Candida, Parasites, Metal Toxins, etc) that could be affecting the effectivness of the supressants.

My nerve pains are not particularly consistant, they don't 'travel' anymore up and down my legs, more random pulsing and stabbing in any area from the buttocks down. They aren't painful really, just more of a 'sensation' now. I have gotten much better as time's gone on. I guess I was just relying on the supressants as a fall back plan, especially as I have a new boyfriend who does not have the virus.

Just a case of a little more patience and that goal of 'optimum health'! I guess.

Is there anyone here for whom the anti virals do work now, but didn't initially? or anyone who's investigated thier immune systems and found other things wrong, therefore allowing the virus to flourish?

Take care all.

Blue.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:47 PM   #12
    saragirl
    (female)

saragirl HB User

I have not had relief from the antivirals and I am trying acupuncture as an alternative therapy in conjunction with Valtrex. It is my undertanding that in the beginning the symptoms are worse and will get better over time. The antivirals don't claim to stop all of the outbreaks (just some people are that lucky). So ...it is my HOPE that it will get better over time.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #13
    ph2
    (male)

ph2 HB User

hi blue uk,
    i also suffer from constant prodromal pain.
    apparently this is rare with h but does happen.
    i have taken acyclovir for 6 months constantly, 800mg a day with no effect.
    i have just stopped taking it and will post later how i feel.
    for your info check this site info out here, these are my symptoms
    [url]http://www.herpesite.org/phn.html[/url]

Closed Thread