It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Confused about Blood Results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
    jeff301
    (male)

jeff301 HB User
    Confused about Blood Results

i received my blood results in the mail today and im a little confused as to what they mean. They read as follows:

Your repeat tests show that the early phase herpes antibodies are now positive. Initially, they were elevated but equivocal. This means you were recently exposed to herpes type 1 or type 2 and are developing antibodies. You do not as yet have the late phase antibodies.

Do i have herpes or not?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
    over21
    (male)

over21 HB User
    Re: Confused about Blood Results

If you live in the States, it means your doctor ordered the wrong test. Because your results can not distinguish between type 1 and type two, and the wording of the results, it sounds like the older IgM test. Ask for your money back. The results only make things confusing. A negative results doesn't mean you do not have the virus and a positive results doesn't mean you do.

Do some research, the correct test is an IgG type specific bloodtest. HerpeSelect is the most common brand in the US.

Get yourself retest with the proper test.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
    jeff301
    (male)

jeff301 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by over21
    If you live in the States, it means your doctor ordered the wrong test. Because your results can not distinguish between type 1 and type two, and the wording of the results, it sounds like the older IgM test. Ask for your money back. The results only make things confusing. A negative results doesn't mean you do not have the virus and a positive results doesn't mean you do.

Do some research, the correct test is an IgG type specific bloodtest. HerpeSelect is the most common brand in the US.

Get yourself retest with the proper test.
    actually, my doctor sent the results of the blood test and i can see that she ordered both IgM and IgG tests.

(1) HSV I/II IgG Rflx I-II Type Sp
    !HSV I/II IgG <0.9 index 0.0-0.8 AV

(2) HSV, IgM I/II Combination
    !HSV, IgM I/II Combination [H] 1.24 Ratio 0.0-0.9 BN

Old 07-16-2006, 09:26 AM   #4
    over21
    (male)

over21 HB User

When I wrote my first post, my initial guess was either you had a combination IgG or the IgM. But your results wording lead me to IgM.

Was LabCorp the actual lab that did your blood work? Your negative combination IgG result is a good sign. It means at the time of the blood draw, you do not have either type of HSV. How many weeks did you wait post last possible exposure? LabCorp's default test is a non-type specific test (like the one you had). If it's positive, you're retested with the HerpeSelect ELISA test for HSV2. If this result is negative, you're assumed to have HSV1 and no further testing is done. If the result was positive, then your tested again with the HerpeSelect ELISA test for HSV1.

The IgM results are confusing and should be disregarded. The thought is these IgM antibodies show up first on an initial (first time) outbreak. After 6 months they'll dissipate as the IgG antibodies show up and take over and will be with you for the rest of your life to help fight off further infections (which is a good thing). While this thought process is true, it's not true all the time. Meaning, just because you have IgM antibodies, it doesn't mean 100% you be developing the IgG antibodies soon. The IgM antibody is a general purpose antibody and shows up for many other common things. As I mentioned before; A negative results doesn't mean you do not have the virus and a positive results doesn't mean you do.

If you waited at least 12 weeks before getting tested, your IgG result should be accurate. However, for peace of mind, I would get retested with the HerpeSelect brand test at the 6 month mark past possible exposure, it's a type specific test for both HSV1 and HSV2 and FDA approved (which you first IgG I/II test isn't). LabCorp offers HerpeSelect but your doctor needs to request it by Name/code.

DO NOT have your doctor order the IgM test again.

Last edited by over21; 07-16-2006 at 01:19 PM.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:14 PM   #5
    jeff301
    (male)

jeff301 HB User

Quote:
    When I wrote my first post, my initial guess was either you had a combination IgG or the IgM. But your results wording lead me to IgM.

Was LabCorp the actual lab that did your blood work? Your negative combination IgG result is a good sign. It means at the time of the blood draw, you do not have either type of HSV. How many weeks did you wait post last possible exposure? LabCorp's default test is a non-type specific test (like the one you had). If it's positive, you're retested with the HerpeSelect ELISA test for HSV2. If this result is negative, you're assumed to have HSV1 and no further testing is done. If the result was positive, then your tested again with the HerpeSelect ELISA test for HSV1.

The IgM results are confusing and should be disregarded. The thought is these IgM antibodies show up first on an initial (first time) outbreak. After 6 months they'll dissipate as the IgG antibodies show up and take over and will be with you for the rest of your life to help fight off further infections (which is a good thing). While this thought process is true, it's not true all the time. Meaning, just because you have IgM antibodies, it doesn't mean 100% you be developing the IgG antibodies soon. The IgM antibody is a general purpose antibody and shows up for many other common things. As I mentioned before; A negative results doesn't mean you do not have the virus and a positive results doesn't mean you do.

If you waited at least 12 weeks before getting tested, your IgG result should be accurate. However, for peace of mind, I would get retested with the HerpeSelect brand test at the 6 month mark past possible exposure, it's a type specific test for both HSV1 and HSV2 and FDA approved (which you first IgG I/II test isn't). LabCorp offers HerpeSelect but your doctor needs to request it by Name/code.

Yes, it was Labcorp. its only been a couple of weeks since my exposure. i will check in with my doc at the 6 month mark and ask for the HerpeSelect test. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
    jeff301
    (male)

jeff301 HB User

Quote:

i spoke to the nurse practitioner this morning. she said the blood test results show that i have herpes. i asked if its possible to have the antibodies but not the virus and she said no. can you provide some citations to where you heard that the IgM antibody is a general purpose antibody and can show up for other reasons? thanks.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:37 PM   #7
    over21
    (male)

over21 HB User

Rules of this message board don't allow me to quote sources, list web sites, etc., or I'll get banned.

I can tell you to visit *****.com (which has a partnership with this board), and search out Terri Warren, she's an RN, ANP, and monitors an area dedicated to Herpes. Or you can google "herpes igM test worthless". After you read several articles, you'll understand your NP was incorrect about her blanket statement. She is correct when she states if you have the antibodies you have the virus. You don't have the IgG antibodies which are specific to herpes, you have the IgM antibodies which classified as a general purpose antibody and not specific to the Herpes Virus

Bottom line, an IgM test does not prove or disprove you have herpes. The test is worthless and should be avoided. There are two major labs in the US, LabCorp and Quest. Quest announced last week they will no longer provide the IgM test for herpes diagnosis because of the confusion it causes. Terri Warren (and others) are petitioning LabCorp to do the same.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
    jeff301
    (male)

jeff301 HB User

Quote:
    Rules of this message board don't allow me to quote sources, list web sites, etc., or I'll get banned.

I can tell you to visit *****.com (which has a partnership with this board), and search out Terri Warren, she's an RN, ANP, and monitors an area dedicated to Herpes. Or you can google "herpes igM test worthless". After you read several articles, you'll understand your NP was incorrect about her blanket statement. She is correct when she states if you have the antibodies you have the virus. You don't have the IgG antibodies which are specific to herpes, you have the IgM antibodies which classified as a general purpose antibody and not specific to the Herpes Virus

Bottom line, an IgM test does not prove or disprove you have herpes. The test is worthless and should be avoided. There are two major labs in the US, LabCorp and Quest. Quest announced last week they will no longer provide the IgM test for herpes diagnosis because of the confusion it causes. Terri Warren (and others) are petitioning LabCorp to do the same.

Hope this helps.
    very helpful Over21. thanks again.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:13 PM   #9
    jeff301
    (male)

jeff301 HB User

Quote:

Hope this helps.
    Will the HerpesSelect test provide a clear answer? Specifically, if they determine that the antibodies are specific to HSV II then the debate is over, correct?

Old 07-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #10
    over21
    (male)

over21 HB User

HerpeSelect is the most common test, and provides as clear as an answer we have today. Meaning no blood test is 100%, but 98 percent is darn close. The key to any bloodtest is waiting, the longer you wait the higher the accuracy of a negative result.

Closed Thread