It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• HELP HELP HELP! Will I catch oral herpes!?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
    Melissa765
    (female)

Melissa765 HB User
    Unhappy HELP HELP HELP! Will I catch oral herpes!?

OH MY GOD! My grandmother gets cold sores on her mouth, and today when I was hugging her goodbye, we both turned and I hit her mouth with like the side of my face and a little bit of my lip! She doesn't have any cold sores presently, but I also got a sunburn, so my lips are all chapped... I'm just worried that I'll catch it. Is it that easily transmitted??? I also washed my mouth off right away with antibacterial soap. Help please!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
    over21
    (male)

over21 HB User
    Re: HELP HELP HELP! Will I catch oral herpes!?

60-80% of the population has oral HSV1, also known as coldsores and fever blisters. Most catch it was a young child when getting kissed from a family member. If your Grandmother has it then the chances are high that your mom has it and you do to. Have you ever had a coldsore?

Common sense is don't be kissing people on the lips when you're having an outbreak, that when the virus is most active.

If you don't know your complete HSV status, you might consider an IgG type specific blood test, HerpeSelect is the most common. You need to request it, cause it's not part of a standard STD checkup.

Closed Thread